Mcshay's new mock

RYNE

This draft is deep with defensive linemen, but if the premium guys are gone by 27, then it's only smart to take a guy like Pouncey, who could potentially be a replacement for McClure down the road, or Dahl even sooner. I think the line is good as it is, but why settle for good? And it's going to have to be revamped in the next few years anyway. Pouncey could be cog in that line for the next decade.

Although, let me add, McShay's first Mock was kind of flaky and didn't feel fully hashed out, so....?????

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

That would be OKAY. As long as we've secured a starting DE and WR in FA.

I think what you said is the key. I'd love to get a proven WR of DE in Free agency. Not sure we will get both though. I wish we could. If I was making the choice and could only get 1 I'd get a DE in free agency. Our drafting of D-line hasn't been too good so I'd like to just grab a DE that we know can produce. SO..... If it was up too me. Realistically I would do this... Get a top DE in Free Agency. Get a middle of the road WR such as brad smith. He would be perfect. Draft Pouncey. Draft a speed RB. Draft a TE replacment.

I think what you said is the key. I'd love to get a proven WR of DE in Free agency. Not sure we will get both though. I wish we could. If I was making the choice and could only get 1 I'd get a DE in free agency. Our drafting of D-line hasn't been too good so I'd like to just grab a DE that we know can produce. SO..... If it was up too me. Realistically I would do this... Get a top DE in Free Agency. Get a middle of the road WR such as brad smith. He would be perfect. Draft Pouncey. Draft a speed RB. Draft a TE replacment.

I think this is the year where we add 2 impact players in FA. Blank is...pissed, to put it charitably. The time to close the deal on this team is right now. If you add 2 good, prime young FA's, and draft another couple good players, this team is substantially better than it was last year.

I like the idea of building through the draft, but when you have 4-5 major holes, you're going to have to spend money on more than 1 FA, and since we have one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL, we are in prime position to do it.

well, since this thread mentions getting free agents before using draft picks maybe it isnt so obvious.

if you dont have anything valuable to add STFU.

Its my post you fool. Obviously you didn't have anything too add. I guess I didn't know when I started it I had to add in every detail so people like you wouldn't get confused. I'm pretty sure everyone who knows anything about the NFL knows about the whole CBA deal. Don't be all pissy cause you were trying to sound smart.

That would be OKAY. As long as we've secured a starting DE and WR in FA.

Our personnel policy makes it difficult to find talented players that fit the team needs. We have the one extra filter that most teams don't have.

Getting an impact WR would be difficult because most of them have the type of personality the Falcons don't want. They aren't going to touch players like T.O., Ochocinco, Braylon Edwards, Santonion Holmes, and Randy Moss. So that leaves Malcom Floyd, Steve Breston, James Jones. Chance of their re-signing with their current team is still there. There are also a handful of average WR that won't really be an upgrade from Jenkins.

As for DEs there are a couple of big name DE that will become available like Cullen Jenkins, Ray Edwards, Jason Babin and Shaun Ellis. Chances are they will resign with their teams. If their money demands are too much they may be available as a FA but can Falcons afford another high dollar DE?

I think this is the year where we add 2 impact players in FA. Blank is...pissed, to put it charitably. The time to close the deal on this team is right now. If you add 2 good, prime young FA's, and draft another couple good players, this team is substantially better than it was last year.

I like the idea of building through the draft, but when you have 4-5 major holes, you're going to have to spend money on more than 1 FA, and since we have one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL, we are in prime position to do it.

I hope you are right. I hope AB opens up the checkbook and brings in a couple big names. I don't know if he will though. I see one top FA then a mid grade FA. I'd love for him to go on a little spending spree though

Its my post you fool. Obviously you didn't have anything too add. I guess I didn't know when I started it I had to add in every detail so people like you wouldn't get confused. I'm pretty sure everyone who knows anything about the NFL knows about the whole CBA deal. Don't be all pissy cause you were trying to sound smart.

I am confused? but i stated the obvious fact? lol.

plenty have replied about free agents, and i just added the note that they might not be able to be signed.

my post was valid, you were being a little punk, period. Remember you jumped on me for nothing other than the fact you wanted to pound your frail little chest. :lol:

Either way, dont worry I wont derail YOUR post anymore.

The far less talented brother when there are at least 3 positions far more important and some of them deep in talent in the 1st round. I gotta say no. I think some of these guys are just looking to stir things up 2 months before the draft.

Yeah, I can see your point. Realistically I don't see us keeping all of our lineman. So then G probably does become an area of need. You are right Muarkice is better than mike, but mike is pretty good.

I'm not totally opposed to the Pouncey idea... He doesn't seem as good as big brother, but we have a really good set of veteran linemen who could take him under their wing and help him refine.

The draft is pretty deep with WR's. I think someone like Titus Young from Boise might be lingering when we get to our 2nd round pick. If not him, there's a host of DeSean Jackson-esque, speedster WR's in this draft.

I'm definitely opposed to drafting a DE in the first, however. Chances of finding anyone who has an immediate impact at 27 is slim.

Think of it this way... If FA doesn't happen, our current DE's will still likely be more productive than a first round DE, at least in 2011. If FA does happen, there are a lot of great ones on the market this year.

So, I'd say O-line is a good first round decision.

We have three free agents on the o-line: two guards (Blalock & Dahl), and a right tackle (Clabo).

I had the impression the Falcons were preparing for this time via the draft, but I'm sure part of their plan was that the could resign at least a couple of these players. But what is they can't? Given the labor stuff, there is a good chance we won't have resigned any of them by draft day.

So it's draft day and there is no agreement. 3/5ths your stating offensive line is unsigned free agents. What do you do?

Consider this:

(1) Job #1 is protecting the franchise QB. If Ryan goes down, so does the Falcons future.

(2) If there is a lockout, it will probably go through preseason at least. That means even the drafted rookies can't practice. What position is most likely to come up to NLF speed quickly?

The Falcons could easily decide to take a bread-and-butter, back-to-basics approach. Stock on players that could come in and contribute immediatly if the strike doesn't end until the seasons starts.

The Falcons spent time looking at the OT from Wisconsin at the Senior Bowl. What makes that interesting is the coaches played him a lot at guard, because they thought that might be his NFL position.

If a lockout happens and doesn't get resolved until near the time that the season would begin, the NFL may bypass free agency all together for the season and all FAs would get stuck with current teams with a 1 year extension. This is one thing the NFL could do to speed up the process of getting games underway. In this case, you don't want to be stuck with draft picks you're picking to replace FA's that you will have for one more year. It's just a really tough situation to predict right now, TD could go a lot of different ways in the draft.

We have three free agents on the o-line: two guards (Blalock & Dahl), and a right tackle (Clabo).

I had the impression the Falcons were preparing for this time via the draft, but I'm sure part of their plan was that the could resign at least a couple of these players. But what is they can't? Given the labor stuff, there is a good chance we won't have resigned any of them by draft day.

So it's draft day and there is no agreement. 3/5ths your stating offensive line is unsigned free agents. What do you do?

Consider this:

(1) Job #1 is protecting the franchise QB. If Ryan goes down, so does the Falcons future.

(2) If there is a lockout, it will probably go through preseason at least. That means even the drafted rookies can't practice. What position is most likely to come up to NLF speed quickly?

The Falcons could easily decide to take a bread-and-butter, back-to-basics approach. Stock on players that could come in and contribute immediatly if the strike doesn't end until the seasons starts.

The Falcons spent time looking at the OT from Wisconsin at the Senior Bowl. What makes that interesting is the coaches played him a lot at guard, because they thought that might be his NFL position.

I agree. Good post