New five-round mock draft from WalterFootball.com

theProf

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

It's no secret that the Falcons need receiver help. With Tony Gonzalez regressing at an alarming rate, Matt Ryan's only viable option this season was Roddy White. Atlanta has to get its franchise quarterback some help.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff is all about finding players with great character and work ethic, which makes Torrey Smith a great fit for the Falcons. Smith is a high-effort guy who earned his degree in 2-and-a-half years. Oh, and he's pretty talented too.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

I wanted to put Kyle Rudolph a lot higher than this, but there are so many teams in the NFL that don't need or use tight ends. It's really hard to believe that a player as skilled as Rudolph can fall this far, but there are always a couple of talented prospects who drop on Draft Day.

Rudolph won't make it past Atlanta twice. Tony Gonzalez will probably be entering his final year in the NFL next season, and he doesn't look like he has much left. The Falcons will need a successor.

Pick change; previously Pernell McPhee, DE

91. Atlanta Falcons: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma

The Falcons really need to upgrade their pass rush; they had just 23 sacks during the regular season, and John Abraham isn't getting any younger.

Pick change; previously Lance Kendricks, TE

123. Atlanta Falcons: Shane Vereen, RB, California

More weapons for Matt Ryan. The Falcons need to surround their franchise quarterback with talent because the cupboard's pretty bare right now. Michael Turner won't hold up as the starting running back much longer.

155. Atlanta Falcons: Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU

Notice a trend here? This is yet another offensive player for Matt Ryan; Jeremy Kerley could compete with the pedestrian Harry Douglas for the slot receiver position.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

why don't you like Rudolph Robb?

Agreed on Walter. It's garbage.

If he falls to us in the 2nd round, then that's ok, but too many people had been wanting us to reach for him in the 1st. That was my primary issue against him. He's got good speed and agility, but he struggles sometimes in his release off the line and that will be exposed at the NFL level. He seems to play soft to me, he's like a WR in a TE body, except he's not fast or agile enough to be a WR. He's not a very good blocker.

I think mid 2nd to mid 3rd is a good range for Rudolph, but given the lack of any real TE talent in this draft, I think he's going to be way overdrafted.

JMO, the best talents at TE in this draft are from small schools. They will get overlooked until late. I think we could be better off waiting until later in the draft to get a possibly more talented TE that is just going to need a little more grooming and acclimation to the NFL level than Rudolph does. We're not in a position where we have to draft a TE early, we can wait until the 5th/6th round and get a guy to develop.

JMO, the best talents at TE in this draft are from small schools. They will get overlooked until late. I think we could be better off waiting until later in the draft to get a possibly more talented TE that is just going to need a little more grooming and acclimation to the NFL level than Rudolph does. We're not in a position where we have to draft a TE early, we can wait until the 5th/6th round and get a guy to develop.

So Robb which TEs do you like best in the 5th/6th round?

If he falls to us in the 2nd round, then that's ok, but too many people had been wanting us to reach for him in the 1st. That was my primary issue against him. He's got good speed and agility, but he struggles sometimes in his release off the line and that will be exposed at the NFL level. He seems to play soft to me, he's like a WR in a TE body, except he's not fast or agile enough to be a WR. He's not a very good blocker.

I think mid 2nd to mid 3rd is a good range for Rudolph, but given the lack of any real TE talent in this draft, I think he's going to be way overdrafted.

I'm with you on the TE position. We could get Lance Kendricks in the 3rd. Or another TE.

Rudolph will get over drafted. I just hope the falcons don't take him that early. We could also get Rob Housler. JMO..

i would actually like this mock if he kept his original 2nd and 3rd round picks. I like the positions that were drafted but needs alittle tweaking. And FINALLY some love for kerley! This kid is a playmaker, and would honestly beat out HD in a heartbeat. And if you could draft him in the 5th its a homerun!

I like Rob Housler as well.

ROB HOUSLER FAU

Housler is a good player. Will be waiting for his combine results though, I want to see how he physically handles his increased bulk. Apart from that, he's a good pass-catching TE.

Edited by Rai

So Robb which TEs do you like best in the 5th/6th round?

Schuylar Oordt is the guy I'm most high on. His numbers are not the kind to knock you out, but he's still solid. He only had 24 catches this year, but it was 2nd on the team. Needs to add some weight, which he probably can & still keep his speed, but his blocking technique should be fine.

Housler & Skelton, mentioned in a few posts above are both good prospects as well.

Another guy to watch out for & may surprise people if he goes about round 4 is Julius Thomas out of Portland St. This guy is a young Antonio Gates. He needs to develop as he's only played 1 year of college football, but I think he may go a lot higher than people expect.

Schuylar Oordt is the guy I'm most high on. His numbers are not the kind to knock you out, but he's still solid. He only had 24 catches this year, but it was 2nd on the team. Needs to add some weight, which he probably can & still keep his speed, but his blocking technique should be fine.

Housler & Skelton, mentioned in a few posts above are both good prospects as well.

Another guy to watch out for & may surprise people if he goes about round 4 is Julius Thomas out of Portland St. This guy is a young Antonio Gates. He needs to develop as he's only played 1 year of college football, but I think he may go a lot higher than people expect.

Those 4 are definitely guys to look out for, but I'd add Jordan Cameron to that list as well.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

It's no secret that the Falcons need receiver help. With Tony Gonzalez regressing at an alarming rate, Matt Ryan's only viable option this season was Roddy White. Atlanta has to get its franchise quarterback some help.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff is all about finding players with great character and work ethic, which makes Torrey Smith a great fit for the Falcons. Smith is a high-effort guy who earned his degree in 2-and-a-half years. Oh, and he's pretty talented too.

59. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

I wanted to put Kyle Rudolph a lot higher than this, but there are so many teams in the NFL that don't need or use tight ends. It's really hard to believe that a player as skilled as Rudolph can fall this far, but there are always a couple of talented prospects who drop on Draft Day.

Rudolph won't make it past Atlanta twice. Tony Gonzalez will probably be entering his final year in the NFL next season, and he doesn't look like he has much left. The Falcons will need a successor.

Pick change; previously Pernell McPhee, DE

91. Atlanta Falcons: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma

The Falcons really need to upgrade their pass rush; they had just 23 sacks during the regular season, and John Abraham isn't getting any younger.

Pick change; previously Lance Kendricks, TE

123. Atlanta Falcons: Shane Vereen, RB, California

More weapons for Matt Ryan. The Falcons need to surround their franchise quarterback with talent because the cupboard's pretty bare right now. Michael Turner won't hold up as the starting running back much longer.

155. Atlanta Falcons: Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU

Notice a trend here? This is yet another offensive player for Matt Ryan; Jeremy Kerley could compete with the pedestrian Harry Douglas for the slot receiver position.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Shane Vereen in the fourth wow

Can someone explain to me why Lance Kendricks should realistically would fall to our pick in the 3rd? I personally think he is the best TE in the draft, but even if he is the 2nd TE after Rudolph I don't think he will get picked that late...

Tom, wasn't Julius Thomas in Orlando when you were down there? Did you get a chance to watch him any?