Activision discontinues Guitar Hero

Publisher Activision confirms that "Guitar Hero" and "True Crime: Hong Kong" are no more, writing, "due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's 'Guitar Hero' business unit and discontinue development on its 'Guitar Hero' game for 2011. The company also will stop development on 'True Crime: Hong Kong.'These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences."

Activision's True Crime update, formerly True Crime: Hong Kong, was pushed back to calendar year 2011 last summer. The title was in development at Modnation Racers studio United Front Games. We last saw the game at GDC 2010.

The demise of the "Guitar Hero" franchise may not come as a surprise after declining sales of the series, which was most recently updated with the so-so "Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock."

Whether Activision will completely do away with "DJ Hero," following the alleged gutting of developer Freestyle Games, remains to be seen.

Publisher Activision confirms that "Guitar Hero" and "True Crime: Hong Kong" are no more, writing, "due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's 'Guitar Hero' business unit and discontinue development on its 'Guitar Hero' game for 2011. The company also will stop development on 'True Crime: Hong Kong.'These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences."

Activision's True Crime update, formerly True Crime: Hong Kong, was pushed back to calendar year 2011 last summer. The title was in development at Modnation Racers studio United Front Games. We last saw the game at GDC 2010.

The demise of the "Guitar Hero" franchise may not come as a surprise after declining sales of the series, which was most recently updated with the so-so "Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock."

Whether Activision will completely do away with "DJ Hero," following the alleged gutting of developer Freestyle Games, remains to be seen.

Thats messed up. I put some money down on True Crime when I pre-ordered it.

Edited by wuskillzz

Guest AtlWhite84

Thank god about guitar hero. That **** was getting out of control, you can only release the same game so many times before people realize that its the same ******* game just new songs.

I feel the exact same way about Madden, except they just keep adding new players.

Thank god about guitar hero. That **** was getting out of control, you can only release the same game so many times before people realize that its the same ******* game just new songs.

Thats Bobby Cocklicker for you.

Wait theres accutally people who like Bobby Kotic on this board?? Must be some pre-teen cod/activision fan boys negging me.

Edited by Zodiac

Guest whitestain

I feel the same. I haven't bought Madden in about 5 years because of that.

I still love me some NCAA Football though. I play the heck out of that.

That makes two of us. I play NCAA 2-3 times a week still. NCAA 10 was the best college football game ever in my opinion.