Why don't aging rock "greats" make new and relevant music anymore?

Mr. Hoopah!

I was thinking about this the other day solely in terms of guitar players, but it expands to bands/artists who were at the top in their hey-day but haven't released any relevant music in 20-30 years. What do they do every day? Alot of them still tour, but they're playing the same old songs night after night. Did they hit their creative peeks early? Correct me if their are artists who are continuing to make new, relevant music, but most of the ones I'm thinking of just continue to tour and play "the hits."

Eric Clapton - still tours, occasionally releases a new album, but what was his last great song besides tears in heaven?

Eddie Van Halen - hasn't done anything meaningful on guitar in 25 years.

Ozzy - still releases new albums, but they're meh. Last great one was No More Tears.

Aerosmith - They had success through the 2000's but I think they're on hiatus now.

Jimmy Page - not sure why he never joined/formed another band. Not sure what he's been doing for the past 30 years besides designing expensive signature guitars with Gibson.

Rolling Stones - yeah, they still tour, but what was the last good, new song they released? Start me up? That was like 25 years ago.

I could go on and on. Who are some other guitar players/artists/bands that are still around but not doing much? Ones that are still writing new material? Discuss.

For most rocker's their "edge" is lost as one gets older. Years of having more money than a small country/posh lifestyles is a total 180 from most of their roots. IE: Playing small clubs to the wee hours, drugs, touring relentlesly in a van and commradarie.

Massive wealth, success and comfort can be the death of true creativity.

Also when bands kick the hard drugs and go clean things usually go downhill fast. Not always....but most of the time.

Clapton is still making great blues records. Thank god he's not out there trying to be "relevant". How horrible would it be if Clapton was out there wearing hoodie, a diamond studded platinum cross, and his hair styled like a tween; trying to appeal to the ******** masses? Few things are more silly than old people trying to be hip. I want artists to be true to their sensibilities, and not a younger generation's sensibilities.

I would also say that two of Clapton's greatest songs were written after Tears in Heaven. Change the World, and My Father's Eyes.

IMHO, Clapton's best album ever is "From the Cradle," and that's 1994. And I agree -- his albums since then have been solid, but to do your best ever 30 years into your career is pretty amazing.

And it may be blues standards, so that may be what the OP is talking about, but to me, he puts such a fresh twist on them, it's incredible. Point being, it's not stuff he's recorded before.

IMHO, Clapton's best album ever is "From the Cradle," and that's 1994. And I agree -- his albums since then have been solid, but to do your best ever 30 years into your career is pretty amazing.

And it may be blues standards, so that may be what the OP is talking about, but to me, he puts such a fresh twist on them, it's incredible. Point being, it's not stuff he's recorded before.

I forgot about From the Cradle, that is a killer album.

I was thinking about this the other day solely in terms of guitar players, but it expands to bands/artists who were at the top in their hey-day but haven't released any relevant music in 20-30 years. What do they do every day? Alot of them still tour, but they're playing the same old songs night after night. Did they hit their creative peeks early? Correct me if their are artists who are continuing to make new, relevant music, but most of the ones I'm thinking of just continue to tour and play "the hits."

Eric Clapton - still tours, occasionally releases a new album, but what was his last great song besides tears in heaven?

Eddie Van Halen - hasn't done anything meaningful on guitar in 25 years.

Ozzy - still releases new albums, but they're meh. Last great one was No More Tears.

Aerosmith - They had success through the 2000's but I think they're on hiatus now.

Jimmy Page - not sure why he never joined/formed another band. Not sure what he's been doing for the past 30 years besides designing expensive signature guitars with Gibson.

Rolling Stones - yeah, they still tour, but what was the last good, new song they released? Start me up? That was like 25 years ago.

I could go on and on. Who are some other guitar players/artists/bands that are still around but not doing much? Ones that are still writing new material? Discuss.

I dunno either unless the reason is when you get so rich you get fat old and lazy. I liked Page amd Paul Rodgers in The Firm, but even that has been 25-30 years ago I believe. I don't get it because I like to write songs and will never get famous for it, but the more you do it the better at it you get. I don't have near the technique those guys have but I will sometimes write 4 or 5 songs a week without getting stale. If you have the talent, studios and available jam partners these guys have, I don't understand not writing good new stuff.

I dunno either unless the reason is when you get so rich you get fat old and lazy. I liked Page amd Paul Rodgers in The Firm, but even that has been 25-30 years ago I believe. I don't get it because I like to write songs and will never get famous for it, but the more you do it the better at it you get. I don't have near the technique those guys have but I will sometimes write 4 or 5 songs a week without getting stale. If you have the talent, studios and available jam partners these guys have, I don't understand not writing good new stuff.

I'll jam with ya anytime PP! B)

I learned a long time ago the hardest part of trying to do anything in the music biz is finding someone who can actually write something.

You get that right and everything else usually falls into place.

Or at least that used to be the way things worked.

Seems like everyone has to have a "look" like the Killers for example nowadays. :wacko:

Edited by Goal Line D

I'll jam with ya anytime PP! B)

I learned a long time ago the hardest part of trying to do anything in the music biz is finding someone who can actually write something.

You get that right and everything else usually falls into place.

Or at least that used to be the way things worked.

Seems like everyone has to have a "look" like the Killers for example nowadays. :wacko:

Yea I have always been fairly decent with lyrics, Because I love words so much I constantly file stuff away. I remember lyrics I wrote 25 years ago. but I tend to get stuck when it comes to the music. I will write a lot in G,C and D , because those are pretty much the first chords anyone learns and I can concentrate on melody etc... because the chords are second nature. I figure it can always be transposed into another key easily anyway. Sometimes I hear a phrase and i use it for a title and write a decent opening line and can't think where to carry it. I will give an example. I was wanting to write a story song and I heard the term "sweetwater" and "Sweetwater girl" popped in ny head so I wrote the title in a composition book and put it away. One day I opened it up and started fiddling with the guitar and wrote the first lines, which are free to be stolen now I guess. :P

'A man is never beaten down til he's beaten in his heart

But the dust beneath my boots is red and there's no sea to part

But I still got two bullets

So I guess I got a prayer

But heaven knows there's **** below and three of them out there... "

Then someone came up in the house, distracted me with something shiney and to this day when I try to finish that verse, I am dead inside. :( fml.

Bob Dylan is still making new music, and I'm not sure what relevant means, but the new stuff is good.

I'd put Love and Theft against anything he's ever made as an album, and each decade he's made a relatively great album, and barring the 80's an absolutely great album per decade.

Yea I have always been fairly decent with lyrics, Because I love words so much I constantly file stuff away. I remember lyrics I wrote 25 years ago. but I tend to get stuck when it comes to the music. I will write a lot in G,C and D , because those are pretty much the first chords anyone learns and I can concentrate on melody etc... because the chords are second nature. I figure it can always be transposed into another key easily anyway. Sometimes I hear a phrase and i use it for a title and write a decent opening line and can't think where to carry it. I will give an example. I was wanting to write a story song and I heard the term "sweetwater" and "Sweetwater girl" popped in ny head so I wrote the title in a composition book and put it away. One day I opened it up and started fiddling with the guitar and wrote the first lines, which are free to be stolen now I guess. :P

'A man is never beaten down til he's beaten in his heart

But the dust beneath my boots is red and there's no sea to part

But I still got two bullets

So I guess I got a prayer

But heaven knows there's **** below and three of them out there... "

Then someone came up in the house, distracted me with something shiney and to this day when I try to finish that verse, I am dead inside. :( fml.

:lol::lol:

You do have an excellent way with words....and a nice start to that song. I've been playing guitar 17 years and love collaboation. I've never liked the way I sing so I've always had a hard time putting my lyrics to music.

I'd love to discuss this more but I gotta head out for a while.