TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,471 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Co-DC, along with Schumann.  Lanning will make 750K and Schumann will make 550k

its a shame that we couldn't find a good DC to replace. The defense was terrible against Texas.

43 minutes ago, Nereek said:

its a shame that we couldn't find a good DC to replace. The defense was terrible against Texas.

Was more a matter of a lack of effort due to playoff disappointment than anything else, which is even more frustrating. Judging Lanning as the interim DC for that game is very unfair to him.

I'm perfectly fine with it, given that Kirby will be running things and took the same path himself under Saban, eventually taking full control of the playcalling himself.

Tucker wanted to hire Lanning to be his DC at Colorado. Kirby obviously wanted to keep him and sees huge value in Lanning being part of his staff. Defense is honestly the least of my concerns under Kirby anyway. It's Kirby's defense and he has more than proven himself there.

Did you really think Kirby was going to hire a DC to bring a different defense in or something? Lanning is going to run Kirby's defense.

One of the things that I've seen said is the Saban/Kirby defense is not easy to learn, and it takes at least two years for defensive coaches to learn it. Outside of perhaps a Richards, the DC was going to come from within the Saban tree of coaches or not at all.

You can make your arguments about what makes the thing run the most (hinting at recruiting here), but Kirby is not going to go away from anything he learned as long as it is working. I don't feel like finding the article as it's late, but there was a good article written about the Kirby defense that said it's basically an evolved defense from what Saban has been running for forever.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

15 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Co-DC, along with Schumann.  Lanning will make 750K and Schumann will make 550k

Awesome..

On 2/16/2019 at 0:14 AM, VoiceofReason95 said:

One of the things that I've seen said is the Saban/Kirby defense is not easy to learn, and it takes at least two years for defensive coaches to learn it. Outside of perhaps a Richards, the DC was going to come from within the Saban tree of coaches or not at all.

You can make your arguments about what makes the thing run the most (hinting at recruiting here), but Kirby is not going to go away from anything he learned as long as it is working. I don't feel like finding the article as it's late, but there was a good article written about the Kirby defense that said it's basically an evolved defense from what Saban has been running for forever.

Not sure if it was either of these.

This was more recently on the "evolution" of his defense: https://247sports.com/Article/How-Kirby-Smarts-defenses-have-evolved-since-the-dinosaur-age-120070729/

This one was more technical but described more of what he wanted to bring to UGA: https://thereadoptional.com/nick-saban-kirby-smart-and-pattern-match-coverages-a41be7a2eca1

3 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Yes it is for real.

Because Auburn is already tired of having to play at UGA and at Bama both in November every other year and our AD Quincy Magoo is a full bag of potatoes. 

1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Let them play at our house two years in a row.  Simple fix.

Been saying that since this happened!! That fixes everything. It wouldn't feel right to play Georgia in September or October. Just wouldn't feel right at all.

Carter and Porter Osborne Jr like this

Auburn said they are willing to play at our house two years in a row but for some reason the SEC says it isn't possible until 2024.  I don't get it? What scheduling conflict is there when it's the same two teams involved. You just move the game to Athens the next time Auburn is scheduled to play at home.  Why does everyone need to wait 5 years?

Let's see, move one game or a bunch of games for the next 5 years???

Edited by richham

30 minutes ago, richham said:

Auburn said they are willing to play at our house two years in a row but for some reason the SEC says it isn't possible until 2024.  I don't get it? What scheduling conflict is there when it's the same two teams involved. You just move the game to Athens the next time Auburn is scheduled to play at home.  Why does everyone need to wait 5 years?

Because it would lead to a scheduling imbalance that the rest of the SEC would cry unfair advantage about until the scheduling matrix runs out. The seasons that it is a home game for one of Auburn/Georgia would lead to 5 home games. 

It would not just be moving 1 game, it'd be moving around a bunch of games here too to make the rest of the SEC happy with everyone having a balanced schedule.

Yes, Auburn apparently does not want to wait for the schedule matrix to run out (this actually appears to be a bit of a compromise, we'll move it to earlier in exchange of two trips to Athens when the schedule matrix runs out to balance it back out).

Edited by VoiceofReason95
fibonaccisquared likes this

I understand Auburn's issue with the timing of the game but it's been like this for how long? I wish the powers that be at UGA would grow a pair. 

1 hour ago, richham said:

52 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Because it would lead to a scheduling imbalance that the rest of the SEC would cry unfair advantage about until the scheduling matrix runs out. The seasons that it is a home game for one of Auburn/Georgia would lead to 5 home games. 

It would not just be moving 1 game, it'd be moving around a bunch of games here too to make the rest of the SEC happy with everyone having a balanced schedule.

Yes, Auburn apparently does not want to wait for the schedule matrix to run out (this actually appears to be a bit of a compromise, we'll move it to earlier in exchange of two trips to Athens when the schedule matrix runs out to balance it back out).

Just downright stupid scheduling. I really hope the new schedule comes up with something new that fixes this whole only playing 1 team from the cross division once every 8 years. That's ridiculous!! Auburn and Florida used to play every year and now they haven't played since 2011 before Missouri and Texas A&M was even added to the conference. Auburn was supposed to play at Florida in 2012 and then that got thrown out the window and now Auburn won't play at Florida until this year. 2019!! The last time Auburn played at Florida was 2007. You wanna talk about ridiculous!! Florida doesn't return to Auburn until 2024.

39 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I understand Auburn's issue with the timing of the game but it's been like this for how long? I wish the powers that be at UGA would grow a pair. 

Here is why Auburn has such a big issue with playing at Georgia and at Alabama in the same year. Have you looked at Auburn's 2019 schedule? They have 4 SEC road games in a 5-game stretch with an off week mixed in. They have had to deal with that every other year since this scheduling crap happened. Auburn plays at Texas A&M, vs. Mississippi State, at Florida, off week, at Arkansas, and at LSU. Wouldn't you ***** and complain if Georgia had to play 4 SEC road games out of 5? Not just that but Texas A&M, Florida, and LSU are routinely in the top 10 or 15 in the nation for hardest places for visiting teams to win at.

We understand why Aub wants to do it and how they benefit from it. But is does nothing to benefit Ga in any way. So we shouldn't even be concerned about this. No need to waste time on this. Make Bama work with them. 

1 hour ago, Brewyerown said:

The board just gave McGarity a one year extension. 

Interesting.

Could be somewhere between a "prove it" deal and waiting for the right hire to free up.

13 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

Interesting.

Could be somewhere between a "prove it" deal and waiting for the right hire to free up.

The one year supposedly gives him enough years to retire. The speculation now is that we've agreed to give him one more year with the agreement that he step down after it's over. Before the news of the extension came down, there was word of an emergency meeting of the board to discuss a "personal matter" and the thought here is that this one year deal gives word to all potential candidates that the job is now open.

2 hours ago, Brewyerown said:

The board just gave McGarity a one year extension. 

WE HAVE A BUNCH OF MORONS ON THE BOARD.. YES I AM USING UPPERCASE BECAUSE I AM YELLING AT MY COMPUTER.. 

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

The one year supposedly gives him enough years to retire. The speculation now is that we've agreed to give him one more year with the agreement that he step down after it's over. Before the news of the extension came down, there was word of an emergency meeting of the board to discuss a "personal matter" and the thought here is that this one year deal gives word to all potential candidates that the job is now open.

I hope this is true.  

95Dawg likes this