TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,624 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

that an awesome article.. thanks for posting. 

No problem.  I thought it was great too.  Felt like TO reading it.  Godwin is officially a DGD if he wasn't before.

giphy.gif

SacFalcFan likes this

So saw someone talk about Dabo's 3rd year on another site and was curious to how that season went.  I also decided to look up Saban's 3rd year at MSU (4th year HC overall but ignored his 1 yr at Toldeo)

I think Kirby is farther along in his 3rd.  He has had bumps and hopefully as a young HC he will grow from it like Saban and Dabo has.

Dabo = Clemson =2011

Date Time Opponent# Rank# Site TV Result Attendance
September 3 3:30 p.m. Troy*   Memorial Stadium  Clemson, SC ESPN3 W 43–19   73,458[1]
September 10 3:30 p.m. No. 7 (FCS) Wofford*   Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC ESPN3 W 35–27   74,538[1]
September 17 12:00 p.m. No. 21 Auburn*   Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC (rivalry) ABC W 38–24   81,514[1]
September 24 3:30 p.m. No. 11 Florida State No. 21 Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC (rivalry) ESPN W 35–30   80,994[1]
October 1 6:00 p.m. at No. 11 Virginia Tech No. 13 Lane Stadium  Blacksburg, VA ESPN2 W 23–3   66,233[1]
October 8 3:00 p.m. Boston Collegedagger No. 8 Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC (O'Rourke–McFadden Trophy) ACCRSN W 36–14   76,315[1]
October 15 7:00 p.m. at Maryland No. 8 Byrd Stadium  College Park, MD ESPNU W 56–45   47,961[1]
October 22 12:00 p.m. North Carolina No. 8 Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC ESPN W 59–38   80,519[1]
October 29 8:00 p.m. at Georgia Tech No. 6 Bobby Dodd Stadium  Atlanta, GA (rivalry) ABC L 17–31   55,646[1]
November 12 12:00 p.m. Wake Forest No. 9 Memorial Stadium • Clemson, SC ESPNU W 31–28   78,375[1]
November 19 3:30 p.m. at NC State No. 7 Carter–Finley Stadium  Raleigh, NC (Textile Bowl) ABC/ESPN L 13–37   57,583[1]
November 26 7:45 p.m. at No. 14 South Carolina* No. 18 Williams-Brice Stadium  Columbia, SC (Battle of the Palmetto State) ESPN L 13–34   83,422[1]
December 3 8:00 p.m. vs. No. 5 Virginia Tech No. 21 Bank of America Stadium  Charlotte, NC (ACC Championship Game) ESPN W 38–10   73,675[1]
January 4, 2012 8:30 p.m. vs. No. 23 West Virginia* No. 14 Sun Life Stadium  Miami Gardens, FL (Orange Bowl) ESPN L 33–70  

67,563[1

Saban = MSU = 1997

Date Time Opponent# Rank# Site TV Result Attendance
September 6 12:30 PM Western Michigan* No. 25 Spartan Stadium  East Lansing, MI ESPN+ W 42–10   72,317[2]
September 13 1:00 PM Memphis* No. 23 Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI   W 51–21   72,131[3]
September 20 1:30 PM at Notre Dame* No. 18 Notre Dame Stadium  Notre Dame, IN (Megaphone Trophy) NBC W 23–7   80,225[4]
October 4 1:00 PM Minnesotadagger No. 13 Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI   W 31–10   75,263[5]
October 11 12:30 PM at Indiana No. 11 Memorial Stadium  Bloomington, IN (Old Brass Spittoon) ESPN2 W 38–6   35,082[6]
October 18 3:30 PM at Northwestern No. 11 Ryan Field  Evanston, IL ABC L 17–19   47,129[7]
October 25 12:30 PM No. 5 Michigan No. 14 Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI (Paul Bunyan Trophy) ESPN L 7–23   79,687[8]
November 1 3:30 PM No. 9 Ohio State No. 20 Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI ABC L 13–37   74,903[9]
November 8 12:30 PM at No. 24 Purdue   Ross–Ade Stadium  West Lafayette, IN ESPN2 L 21–22   55,539[10]
November 22 2:00 PM at Illinois   Memorial Stadium  Champaign, IL   W 27–17   30,087[11]
November 29 1:00 PM No. 4 Penn State   Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI (Land Grant Trophy) ABC W 49–14   73,623[12]
December 25 3:30 PM vs. No. 21 Washington* No. 25 Aloha Stadium  Honolulu, HI (Aloha Bowl) ABC L 23–51  

34,419[13]

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

17 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Honest question: if Lawrence picked UGA over Clemson, would Fromm have been our starter at the end of the year?

Depends on if he picked up the playbook and proved himself capable of making the proper reads..

of course most are gonna say no.. and blame the coaches.. 

Interesting question regarding Lawrence. My gut says Fromm would still be the starter but it would have been awfully close. I default to Fromm due to coaching stubbornness. 

Posted (edited)

both Gibbs and Bishop are in the transfer portal.  

Both expected I believe

Edited by 95Dawg

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Uggghhhh...this is brutal. 

We have bye weeks before 2 of them and the other 3 are losing a lot of talent off their teams.

Just an interesting side note to some of the debates and conversation regarding Fields and Haselwood wanting to go somewhere that would prepare them better for the nfl.  Please this is just for interest, I have no desire to get into a debate over it.  Just curious about what the actual numbers say.

In the past 8 years Oklahoma has only had 2 1st round draft picks and none of them were receivers.  Kind of surprising.

In the past 8 years Ohio State has 12 1st round picks, very impressive, but none of them were QB's and overall it was only 2 with T.Pryor being drafted in the 3rd round.

In the past 8 years UGA has had 8 players drafted in the 1st round including a wide receiver and a quarterback.

The only reason I was even curious is Ridley seems to be climbing up draft boards with many mocking him in the 1st round and I was curious how well we had gotten kids drafted in the first round.

*The funny part about all of it is that Oklahoma has had a lot of success getting QB's drafted in the 1st round so Fields just based on history should have went to Oklahoma. Ohio State hasn't had any receivers drafted in the 1st round, but they have had a bunch drafted in the second round over the same period so Ohio State looks like a better fit for Haselwood, based on just historical facts.*

Edited by richham
Porter Osborne Jr and 95Dawg like this

26 minutes ago, richham said:

Just an interesting side note to some of the debates and conversation regarding Fields and Haselwood wanting to go somewhere that would prepare them better for the nfl.  Please this is just for interest, I have no desire to get into a debate over it.  Just curious about what the actual numbers say.

In the past 8 years Oklahoma has only had 2 1st round draft picks and none of them were receivers.  Kind of surprising.

In the past 8 years Ohio State has 12 1st round picks, very impressive, but none of them were QB's and overall it was only 2 with T.Pryor being drafted in the 3rd round.

In the past 8 years UGA has had 8 players drafted in the 1st round including a wide receiver and a quarterback.

The only reason I was even curious is Ridley seems to be climbing up draft boards with many mocking him in the 1st round and I was curious how well we had gotten kids drafted in the first round.

*The funny part about all of it is that Oklahoma has had a lot of success getting QB's drafted in the 1st round so Fields just based on history should have went to Oklahoma. Ohio State hasn't had any receivers drafted in the 1st round, but they have had a bunch drafted in the second round over the same period so Ohio State looks like a better fit for Haselwood, based on just historical facts.*

Yup.  The layers of irony with the entire Fields & Haselwood situations is indeed humorous.  > *To include Chaney now at UT.  LOL

1 hour ago, 95Dawg said:

It says UGA related news and not just football right....NOT sorry for posting

It’s crazy how people in Oklahoma are about gymnastics and competitive cheerleading. I had no idea about it until a few years ago when my now ex girlfriend moved there and she had her daughter in cheer. Small town in southern Oklahoma with a huge gym and trophy cases filled with 1st place trophies. Kinda blew my mind. 

No idea if OU is consistently a top ranked gymnastics squad but seeing that just made me think about it.

Go gymdawgs!

95Dawg likes this

There is really no good place to drop these, so whatever, here they are. The Tebow one in particular made me spit my drink. For those that missed the news, Tebow got engaged. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-bulldogs-didnt-have-to-go-far-to-find-the-ideal-offensive-coordinator

That’s a lot of talent for Coley to work with, and he knows what do with it. This is no young rookie coordinator on whom Smart is taking a chance. This is a 45-year-old man who has coordinated offenses for 11 of 19 seasons going back to his three-year stint at Miami Norland High School.

Over that span, Coley has developed a reputation for being a bit a gun-slinging coordinator. That is, he likes his offenses to throw the football downfield. When he was coordinator and play-caller at Miami, the Hurricanes led the nation in “explosive plays”  all three years. Coley coached Brad Kaaya to Freshman All-America honors as the quarterback broke the single-season record for passing yards at Miami. Wide receiver Allen Hurns, currently with the Dallas Cowboys, also broke the single season receiving record with 1,162 yards in 2013.

In the midst of that, Miami produced two 1,000 yards rushers in Duke Johnson (1,652 yards in 2014) and Joe Yearly (1,002 in 2015). So Coley knows the value of running the football. And, lest we forget, Coley has been around for every step of success Georgia has enjoyed under Smart. He was one of Smart’s early hires when he took over the Bulldogs before the 2016 season, joining the staff close behind Chaney and offensive line coach Sam Pittman.

So Coley knows exactly what Smart is looking for. Keep in mind, no matter who’s calling the shots on Georgia’s offense, it still remains under Smart’s ownership. And Smart, a defensive coordinator by trade, has always been one who ascribes to the “complementary” football approach. That is, your offense works in tandem with defense and special teams to achieve victory, so one doesn’t conduct itself to the possible detriment of the other. That means the offense doesn’t go hurry-up, spread-’em-out and score as fast as possible all the time and the defense doesn’t sell out with 72 exotic blitz packages in order to create its own big plays.

No, Georgia is still mainly about playing the percentages to win, which means to run the football, control the clock, limit opponents’ big plays and win field position and special teams. So those will be Coley’s marching orders, as they were for Chaney.

You may remember the play from an otherwise dreary 2015 season at Miami: The Hurricanes, down three and needing a miracle at Duke, pulled off an eight-lateral kickoff return to win the game. It was controversial and shouldn’t have counted. But it did. After the game, James Coley, Miami’s offensive coordinator, was asked what the play was called.

Coley began to sing.

“Deeessssperado,” he sang, invoking the Eagles’ classic.

“He really seemed comfortable and happy at home in Miami, but the ’Canes’ losing and turmoil may have soured that,” recalled Matt Porter, at the time the Miami beat writer for the Miami Herald. “Much like Manny Diaz’s defense in the Mark Richt era, Coley’s offense wasn’t the problem with Al Golden’s ’Canes.”

That’s the gist of conversations with several people familiar with Coley’s previous run as a play caller: That he deserved another chance. And now he has one, after Georgia named him its new offensive coordinator and play caller on Friday.

The move is not a shock: Coley was Georgia’s co-coordinator, a title bestowed last year. He sat next to Jim Chaney in the press box this past season. The move allows for continuity with an offense that finished seventh nationally in yards per play and a team that averaged 37.9 points per game.

“James has been a critical part of our staff since we came to Georgia,” head coach Kirby Smart said in a statement Friday. “He’s done an incredible job in all aspects of his responsibilities including coaching wide receivers for two years, serving as co-offensive coordinator this past season coaching the quarterbacks, and recruiting. James has extensive coordinator experience during his entire coaching career and will transition easily into his new role.”

There will still be doubters, though, concerned about Coley’s previous experience as the play caller at Miami, which was 71st nationally in scoring offense in his final season. But people around Miami paint a more positive picture of Coley’s play calling, which produced consecutive seasons ranked No. 11 nationally in yards per play.

“I think he’s **** good. I think he called a good game for Miami,” said Joe Zagacki, the play-by-play announcer for Miami football games. “He gave Miami a fighting chance. Probably should have had a few more wins on his résumé, but didn’t get a whole lot of help from the other side of the ball.”

Zagacki sat in on a lot of offensive meetings with Coley and the offensive staff. Golden, the head coach, also was in most meetings, but Coley was in charge, as Zagacki remembers. Coley wasn’t afraid to ask questions of assistants. His skill was using formations and matchups to keep opponents off-balance, something he learned from Jimbo Fisher when Coley was on Fisher’s staff at Florida State from 2010-12.

“He did a really good job at Miami for what he had,” Zagacki said. “He had some good weapons. Maybe incomplete weapons because they’ve always been in the process of trying to build.

“To be honest, I think he tried to make Miami’s offense a Southeastern Conference offense, with some spread stuff. But his vision for Miami was to be more of a Southeastern kind of offense, and be able to run the ball, have heavy packages with two tight ends, spread it out when you have to, have some misdirection, but you’ve got to be able to run the ball. That’s what he had to be able to do at Miami, and I’m sure that’s what he’s going to want to do at Georgia.”

The problem with trying to run that offense at Miami, as Zagacki put it, was it didn’t have the offensive line that was needed. That’s historically been an issue at Miami, where it tends to recruit better skill-position players.

Here is how Miami ranked nationally in Coley’s three years:

• 2015: 48th in yards per play, 71st in scoring, 32nd in passing yards per attempt, 112nd in rushing yards per attempt
  • 2014: 11th in ypp, 62nd in scoring, 48th in passing yards per attempt, 22nd in rushing yards per attempt
  • 2013: 11th in ypp, 33rd in scoring, 10th in passing yards per attempt, 36th in rushing yards per play

“I remember some really productive Miami offenses,” Porter said. “He had great running backs (two years of Duke Johnson), strong-armed QBs (Stephen Morris and Brad Kaaya, the latter of whom loves him) and loads of receivers (Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorsett) and TEs (Clive Walford, Chris Herndon, David Njoku). Miami had NFL weapons everywhere and he mostly used them effectively. It was, to be fair, a plum assignment.”

The undoing in Coley’s final year, beyond the defense, was the running game. But he also had a young quarterback, Kaaya, who started as a freshman in 2014 and improved as a sophomore in his second year with Coley.

Then Golden was fired midway through the 2015 season. Mark Richt eventually was hired and wanted to call plays and coach quarterbacks. So it wasn’t going to be a fit for Coley to stay. He went to Richt’s former school, where he was hired as receivers coach.

For the next two years, Coley recruited very well, proving valuable enough that Smart, to keep Coley from rejoining Fisher at Texas A&M, gave him the co-coordinator title, a substantial raise ($450,000 to $850,000) and allowed him to switch to quarterbacks coach.

The perception remained that Coley’s strength was recruiting, and that was his main value to the staff. Now he gets a second shot at play calling and a chance to end that perception.

But the two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

“What a quandary for a coach, right? Because they all want to get away from that (reputation as a recruiter), I suppose. But it all comes down to having better players,” Zagacki said. “So I don’t think he’s going to want to get too far away from the reputation of selecting good players. Good players equal good offense.”

sdogg, RandomFan and m2Falcons like this

I think Mullen must have been drunk

Florida is the next ranked SEC team behind Alabama on the coaches poll. UF, LSU, UGA all bunched together right there at 6, 7, 8 on both AP and coaches.

No idea how UGA gets tied at 7 with UF on the AP poll when we beat them head to head by 3 touchdowns.

SacFalcFan and sdogg like this