TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,555 posts in this topic

From today's Fishwrapper..

Patrick is enrolled in spring classes at UGA and plans to be with the team in 2018, his lawyer confirmed on Tuesday.

“Natrez is doing very well in his treatment,” Billy Healan said in a text message. “He is enrolled in classes this semester. He is still on the football team, and is looking forward to the upcoming season."

Possible suspension is unclear, but Healan also reiterated that he believes Patrick should be eligible.

“From a legal perspective and according to the UGA Athletic Association substance abuse policy I believe he should be eligible,” Healan said.

15 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Patrick is enrolled in spring classes at UGA and plans to be with the team in 2018, his lawyer confirmed on Tuesday.

“Natrez is doing very well in his treatment,” Billy Healan said in a text message. “He is enrolled in classes this semester. He is still on the football team, and is looking forward to the upcoming season."

Possible suspension is unclear, but Healan also reiterated that he believes Patrick should be eligible.

“From a legal perspective and according to the UGA Athletic Association substance abuse policy I believe he should be eligible,” Healan said.

I'm anxious to see if the new and improved (and hopefully clean) Natrez returns to his old form.  He was not a factor when he played in 2017.  

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

Any reports on how Nate McBride progressed over the course of the season? I usually hear Monty Rice's name mentioned in MLB discussions, but not Nate's.

Salary updates for coaches:

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article196227479.html

Still may not account for all, as this only accounts for changes to their base salaries, but kind of surprised it wasn't higher for most:

Coley 50K raise

Pittman/McGee 25K raise (seems way too low for McGee... thought he'd be at 400k this year at a minimum - seems to invite competition for his services this off season/next year)

Mel Tucker 15K raise

Jay Johnson gets an 80-85K lift (article has bad math, not sure which is the mistake, the raise, the new salary, or the original, but off by 5k). Thought this was interesting, as it means he likely is not in line for one of the on field roles. Tyson Summers coming in at 50K is good value for our coaching "bench".

4 hours ago, (((Billy Ocean))) said:

Any reports on how Nate McBride progressed over the course of the season? I usually hear Monty Rice's name mentioned in MLB discussions, but not Nate's.

I really haven’t heard much mention of McBride over this past year, other than some outstanding play on special teams. It could change over spring and fall but I’m expecting he will be depth at LB and possibly be part of the rotation. Rice has been impressive and we have a few other highly recruited players like Jaden Hunter and Jaleel Laguins trying to get playing time at LB as well.

Billy Ocean likes this

28 minutes ago, Carter said:

I really haven’t heard much mention of McBride over this past year, other than some outstanding play on special teams. It could change over spring and fall but I’m expecting he will be depth at LB and possibly be part of the rotation. Rice has been impressive and we have a few other highly recruited players like Jaden Hunter and Jaleel Laguins trying to get playing time at LB as well.

I expect to see more of Crowder. 

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I expect to see more of Crowder. 

It’s a possibility. He was mostly a special teams guy also but I think he did see the field some at LB. 

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

Early on in the NC game.

Yes and I think he provides good physicality vs a team like Bama, but probably not versatile enough to beat out better athletes. DGD though and his play on that kickoff vs OU was clutch.

I think he will probably play a little more though and could surprise me. 

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yes and I think he provides good physicality vs a team like Bama, but probably not versatile enough to beat out better athletes. DGD though and his play on that kickoff vs OU was clutch.

I think he will probably play a little more though and could surprise me. 

His play on that kickoff was amazing instincts. 

He caught that ball and was down in less than a second. 

He doesn't do that and we may not be mad about Bama but mad about Okie  

Probably would've made a good third baseman. 

Carter likes this

Anyone else find the recruiting rankings a totally joke by 24/7?  Like we are in 2nd place now, even though we have way more 5*s than Ohio State (I think 6-2 in uga's favor).  Also they just re did their final season rankings and many UGA players took a big dive in the rankings, more so than the other top schools and some of these guys were killing it at the all american games/practices.  Plus there is a 24/7 national recruiter that is constantly hating on UGA and his bias was showing when he was saying that the UGA players are overrated and always ranked too high. 

Yeah the rankings shouldn't matter, but when the website(24/7) is geared around recruiting then they should try and hold some integrity in their system, instead of adjusting the numbers so that they can still get more $$$$$$$$$ by generating this 'drama' until the final signing day.

51 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

Anyone else find the recruiting rankings a totally joke by 24/7?  Like we are in 2nd place now, even though we have way more 5*s than Ohio State (I think 6-2 in uga's favor).  Also they just re did their final season rankings and many UGA players took a big dive in the rankings, more so than the other top schools and some of these guys were killing it at the all american games/practices.  Plus there is a 24/7 national recruiter that is constantly hating on UGA and his bias was showing when he was saying that the UGA players are overrated and always ranked too high. 

Yeah the rankings shouldn't matter, but when the website(24/7) is geared around recruiting then they should try and hold some integrity in their system, instead of adjusting the numbers so that they can still get more $$$$$$$$$ by generating this 'drama' until the final signing day.

We’ve been complaining about it in the recruiting thread lol... just horrible what they do every year with those final rankings.

3 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

His play on that kickoff was amazing instincts. 

He caught that ball and was down in less than a second. 

He doesn't do that and we may not be mad about Bama but mad about Okie  

Probably would've made a good third baseman. 

Have to agree. I loved playing third base when I was growing up and playing baseball, so I can appreciate that play he made just as you say. I still have really good hand eye coordination... pretty sure it’s a combination of that and this ridiculous obsession I had with practicing juggling for a while lol. Haven’t played baseball in years but I’ve been known to snag some line drives in the church softball league haha... still got it :lol: 

95Dawg likes this

16 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Salary updates for coaches:

http://www.macon.com/sports/college/university-of-georgia/bulldogs-beat/uga-football/article196227479.html

Still may not account for all, as this only accounts for changes to their base salaries, but kind of surprised it wasn't higher for most:

Coley 50K raise

Pittman/McGee 25K raise (seems way too low for McGee... thought he'd be at 400k this year at a minimum - seems to invite competition for his services this off season/next year)

Mel Tucker 15K raise

Jay Johnson gets an 80-85K lift (article has bad math, not sure which is the mistake, the raise, the new salary, or the original, but off by 5k). Thought this was interesting, as it means he likely is not in line for one of the on field roles. Tyson Summers coming in at 50K is good value for our coaching "bench".

Those better be bonuses and not raises.   Those are waaaaaay too low for raises!

10 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

rankings actually do matter and that has been proven when it comes to on the field play.  rankings also matter to a staff when they are trying to sell recruits on stuff such as being the #1 class in the country.. i have lost count this year how many of our commits/targets have talked about being excited to be part of the #1 overall class in the country.  i know of one recruit who jumped on early in the signing period to be a dawg who was motivated not to be left out of such a bigtime class.  our staff did a great job selling to a few guys to sign early and not miss out on their spot.  you are correct that 247 changes were ridiculous.  you don't have that drastic of a move by a few teams unless you have some agenda IMO or you are just inept for most of the season.  we see this bama push every year on the last 247 ranking and if you look earlier in this threat the facts point out just how ridiculous 247 rankings changes were.  complete crap.  

58 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

rankings actually do matter and that has been proven when it comes to on the field play.  rankings also matter to a staff when they are trying to sell recruits on stuff such as being the #1 class in the country.. i have lost count this year how many of our commits/targets have talked about being excited to be part of the #1 overall class in the country.  i know of one recruit who jumped on early in the signing period to be a dawg who was motivated not to be left out of such a bigtime class.  our staff did a great job selling to a few guys to sign early and not miss out on their spot.  you are correct that 247 changes were ridiculous.  you don't have that drastic of a move by a few teams unless you have some agenda IMO or you are just inept for most of the season.  we see this bama push every year on the last 247 ranking and if you look earlier in this threat the facts point out just how ridiculous 247 rankings changes were.  complete crap.  

Than you're not gonna be happy with ESPN today, lol. Their updates are in  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2018

Zeus lost his 5th star with them...don't ask me. I know they have less 5* than other services, but still. No excuse for that.

And LOL that they still have Hill over Salyer.

Tindall at #220 wow...

Edited by RandomFan
fibonaccisquared likes this

9 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Than you're not gonna be happy with ESPN today, lol. Their updates are in  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2018

Zeus lost his 5th star with them...don't ask me. I know they have less 5* than other services, but still. No excuse for that.

And LOL that they still have Hill over Salyer.

Tindall at #220 wow...

i really never pay attention to espn and their rankings knowing that luginbill is a huge part of that.  i have heard enough of his comments that show me he is freaking clueless and he is involved in ranking guys.  tindall being that low is crazy.  zeus losing a 5th star is a joke.  one reason i like the 247 composite because it takes all 4 services into the final number.  i will though that rivals has done a very good job imo the past few years in adding some talent that has helped their rankings improve.  they were heading the wrong direction, but they have had a lot of nice hires who actually see guys in person other than hudl highlights. 

LOL   https://www.garnetandblackattack.com/2018/1/24/16923260/sec-football-hot-seat-rankings-post-season

How safe are they headed into 2018? We’ll break them into tiers like we did we back before the 2017 season began.

TIER 1: NICK SABAN

• Nick Saban (Alabama) - Six national titles. Successfully held off the heir apparent by making a personnel change that no one without Nick Saban-level job security would. Is still Nick Saban.
  • Kirby Smart (Georgia) - Technically is not Nick Saban...but still. Kirby is hoarding elite quarterbacks like my father hoards soy sauce and hot mustard packets. Clearly that team has all the talent it needs to be a juggernaut and keeps bringing in more. It’s only a matter of time before they are the big bully of the conference.

Haha @ hoarding soy sauce and mustard packets.

Edited by RandomFan

On 1/23/2018 at 4:15 PM, SacFalcFan said:

That’s a good sign that he is enrolled for spring and staying involved with school, team, etc while he is going through treatment.

Carter and SacFalcFan like this