TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,543 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Yep, sucks but there is still hope he makes it back. From another board:

There are really only 3 main things it could be: Drugs/Alcohol; depression issues; or grades. Since it was initially reported as a "medical" issue, I doubt it is grades. And since he's been lumped into the Natrez conversation from some of the other Dawg players, I would assume it's drugs/alcohol related. I saw it happen many many times in Athens when new freshmen kids would come in and get their first taste of freedom; they didn't know how to handle it and went off the deep end without a rope.

I just hope the young man gets a handle on the situation and is able to take advantage of the opportunity in front of him.

He’s in rehab but that’s about the extent of what we know. I certainly hope he gets things sorted out for his own sake, completely aside from football. Some have mentioned that he may make it back to enroll in summer. I appreciate the fact that our program is trying to help him take care of himself before it becomes an issue of dismissal or legal trouble. The lack of info is probably for the best. 

10 hours ago, RandomFan said:

The Southeastern Conference had 27 players elect to bypass their remaining eligibility for this year’s draft, with Monday marking the deadline for players to decide. LSU led the league with six early departures, followed by the five from Alabama and four each from Auburn and Florida. Georgia certainly took a hit with the departure of its senior leadership, and Roquan Smith’s exit will certainly be felt, but I see three teams the Dawgs will face this season that suffered greater losses from junior exits.

that's why i have been laughing at the narrative being repeated by rivals fans.  i keep seeing the "31 seniors" comments and they don't have a clue how many were actual contributors.  we lost a handful of seniors that were impt and just a few jrs, but the amount of hysteria by rival fans on why we won't win jack next year is over the top. 

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

that's why i have been laughing at the narrative being repeated by rivals fans.  i keep seeing the "31 seniors" comments and they don't have a clue how many were actual contributors.  we lost a handful of seniors that were impt and just a few jrs, but the amount of hysteria by rival fans on why we won't win jack next year is over the top. 

100% agree Sac... I just had this very conversation with a Tennessee fan friend of mine. Like I told him, do you realize how many players on our 2 deep is coming back that played significant meaningful snaps from last year? DL we rotated 6 guys and lost 2. LB is where we are hit the worst where we lose 4 but rotated 6-7 guys regularly. 

In my opinion, our health played as much of a role in our success as senior leadership.  I don’t discount either and we certainly may take a small step back this year, but quality of depth is improving across the board. We just need guys to step up and stay healthy for the most part.  The funny thing is the one position we couldn’t afford an injury, ended up being a huge plus for our team.

95Dawg likes this

39 minutes ago, richham said:

In my opinion, our health played as much of a role in our success as senior leadership.  I don’t discount either and we certainly may take a small step back this year, but quality of depth is improving across the board. We just need guys to step up and stay healthy for the most part.  The funny thing is the one position we couldn’t afford an injury, ended up being a huge plus for our team.

So this one is interesting. 

Significant injuries (or missed playing time) over the course of the year:

Eason > subbed in Fromm

Kindley > eventually subbed in Cleveland

Parrish > subbed in McGhee

Patrick (suspension) > subbed in Carter (also injury/concussion issues) > subbed in Rice/Taylor

Woerner > dinged up a few times, finally fractured leg in Rose Bowl

Wims > key loss during the game against Alabama.

Clearly, we didn't have the same volume of injuries that Alabama had this year (or anything like our 2013 season), but we also weren't the recipients of some amazing injury luck either... we simply were able to adapt and react better due to improved depth. Chance favors the prepared mind (or... roster?). :lol: 

It's why so many people will tell you that NCAA coaching is at least 75% recruiting... it's a Jimmies and Joes league first and foremost. X's and O's are a secondary factor in most matchups.

Turns out Tyson Summers has been working with UGA since November. It’s believed he is in a quality control position currently, but he may be the one to watch for the 10th on-field assistant position that Kirby has yet to fill. It’s also believed Kirby could go with Jay Johnson to be a dedicated on-field QB coach. Summers has been on the road recruiting for UGA, which is allowed until Kirby officially names the 10th assistant on his staff. 

Something is weird about this whole thing... wonder if this is going to be like Trent from last year, that is if this is really a “medical” issue. 

5 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

So this one is interesting. 

Significant injuries (or missed playing time) over the course of the year:

Eason > subbed in Fromm

Kindley > eventually subbed in Cleveland

Parrish > subbed in McGhee

Patrick (suspension) > subbed in Carter (also injury/concussion issues) > subbed in Rice/Taylor

Woerner > dinged up a few times, finally fractured leg in Rose Bowl

Wims > key loss during the game against Alabama.

Clearly, we didn't have the same volume of injuries that Alabama had this year (or anything like our 2013 season), but we also weren't the recipients of some amazing injury luck either... we simply were able to adapt and react better due to improved depth. Chance favors the prepared mind (or... roster?). :lol: 

It's why so many people will tell you that NCAA coaching is at least 75% recruiting... it's a Jimmies and Joes league first and foremost. X's and O's are a secondary factor in most matchups.

Those are not significant injuries, especially since Fromm not only replaced Eason, but took his job and led us to the national title game.  I also don’t consider wims either because he played all season. It certainly affected us in the last game, but he had a huge season for us! Woerner never even saw the football except once a game. You and I have very different ideas on who our big time players are for this past season.

I’m just curious if you think we would have only lost one game and won the sec title game if we had been missing say roquan and Bellamy? Or say we lost galliard/wims for most of the season. We were very lucky with major injuries, and I specifically stated how eason’s Injury turned out to be a great thing for us given how awesome Fromm played as a true freshman.

Edited by richham

30 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Something is weird about this whole thing... wonder if this is going to be like Trent from last year, that is if this is really a “medical” issue. 

They make jokes on the Rivals board about the AJC/Dawgnation making stories out of stuff that gets posted on there, sometimes with info directly from the board cited as “sources close to the situation.” Kinda funny that a day later they run a breaking news story on Gibbs when it broke on the vent yesterday and had been talked about quite a bit before the staff confirmed it.

Money well spent imo

But anyway, hoping and praying the best for Gibbs. Would love to see him on the field but his personal life needs priority right now. 

Bdawg58 likes this

3 hours ago, richham said:

Those are not significant injuries, especially since Fromm not only replaced Eason, but took his job and led us to the national title game.  I also don’t consider wims either because he played all season. It certainly affected us in the last game, but he had a huge season for us! Woerner never even saw the football except once a game. You and I have very different ideas on who our big time players are for this past season.

I’m just curious if you think we would have only lost one game and won the sec title game if we had been missing say roquan and Bellamy? Or say we lost galliard/wims for most of the season. We were very lucky with major injuries, and I specifically stated how eason’s Injury turned out to be a great thing for us given how awesome Fromm played as a true freshman.

You're using the outcomes to determine what was and wasn't significant. Eliminate the players specifically, and tell me what team would have done well if they lost their starting quarterback in essentially a tune up game 1 before a major OOC matchup where the backup was a true freshman. The results were that it worked out great for us, but it doesn't make the injury to Eason "not significant". That is the only point I was trying to demonstrate... 

By the logic you're asking me to subscribe to, the only teams that have "bad injury luck" are the ones that aren't able to adapt and plug in additional talented players. Does that mean that Alabama didn't have "bad injury luck" since clearly they were able to weather the string of injuries to their LB corps? The whole point of my comment was not to indicate that we somehow had this awful string of injuries, but rather that we were able to make the best of each of the scenarios that was presented to us. Via coaching, talent acquisition, or compensation with other players, we were able to manage it quite well. 

As to Woerner and your comments about only getting the ball once per game, again, you're missing the point. We averaged essentially 12 completions per game over the course of the season. Given that Woerner didn't play in every game, his 1/game boils down to nearly 10% of our passing offense in the games he played (don't have any stats on targets vs attempts)... not to mention his blocking ability. He averaged 11 yards per catch. You can trivialize his role because we didn't throw the ball often, but our offense did frequently utilize multi-tight end sets frequently so it's not like it was a trivial thing. Again... depth helps here. Having Blaze, Nauta, and Harris makes that loss *seem* less impactful. Prior to getting injured in the Rose Bowl, he had 3 big receptions, so clearly, for bowl season, we'd planned on making him a featured element of our offense. Not having him as a target against Alabama, then losing Wims for a good chunk of the Natty took us down a couple of mismatch type receiving targets. It wasn't "why we lost" by any means, but they weren't insignificant either.

As to the "different ideas on big time players" bit... I don't think anyone could predict what our team does/doesn't do without Roquan, but I can for certain say that defensively we would not have been anywhere near as good. We also won most of our games by double digits, something like 8 of them by 20+ points. Good chance we still end up in Atlanta even if we hadn't had him... difference being that we probably don't win that rematch and likely lose the Notre Dame game along the way... but again, this is getting into a hypothetical, rather than what actually happened. Not losing your best player doesn't mean that you were unimpacted by injuries though.

Similarly, not sure anyone could tell you what the offense does if we lost Gaillard for a significant amount of time... do we blow the redshirt on Netori Johnson and try plugging him in, does Justin Shaffer get a look, plug and play Sims who has some Center experience? The reality is, we can't know, but in the situations that we did lose players for any time, we seemed to plug and play and figure it out.

You're reading a lot more into my comment than is there. Reasonable minds can disagree here, so if you believe that we somehow had some major injury luck that was critical to our success, I've got no desire to change your mind. We were fortunate that the injuries that we *had* were ones that we were able to sustain and work through... to that much I'll agree. But any insinuation that we had no significant injuries is simply factually incorrect... you're just happy enough with the results that they didn't matter to you in the long run.

Bdawg58 likes this

3 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

gibbs thing was bound to happen kid has to grow up 

Hopefully he gets squared away and comes back like TT did last year and gets on the field. 

I’m not so sure it’s a matter of him growing up. Anyone can get addicted to a substance. Athletes are probably more at risk than most because of the injuries and pain they deal with. I’ve seen it mentioned that Gibbs was also involved in a car accident. I don’t know how accurate that is, but if he was and if he had any issues from that then he more than likely would be given prescription pain relievers or muscle relaxers... which our country has kinda been in an epidemic of addiction problems with for years now.

If Gibbs had gotten himself in trouble you could say he needs to grow up. As it is he has accepted treatment which is about the most grown up thing you can do in this kind of situation. 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, Bdawg58 said:

100% agree Sac... I just had this very conversation with a Tennessee fan friend of mine. Like I told him, do you realize how many players on our 2 deep is coming back that played significant meaningful snaps from last year? DL we rotated 6 guys and lost 2. LB is where we are hit the worst where we lose 4 but rotated 6-7 guys regularly. 

Here is our depth chart from ourlads.  http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/georgia/90590

So on offense we lose wims, wynn, blazevich, sony, and chubb.  we return most of our 2 deep on offense.  Losing wims can hurt us some, but we add a lot of talent in landers and holloman.  on offense we should be in great shape even losing sony and chubb.  our oline and qb improvement will make this a very dangerous unit.  

On defense we lose 2 of our starting dlinemen, all 4 starters at linebacker, and 2 of our 4 starters in the seconday.  So basically we lose 8 starters, but just 9 out of our 2 deep.  We rotate a lot of guys in so not worried about the dline.  linebacker especially inside is a concern.  we have a number of candidates, but not one proven (unless patrick makes a full comeback).  outside i feel pretty good about.  walker was one of our best pass rushers.  I also liked what i saw of walter grant.  we bring in a ton of talent at OLB so while we will be young, i like our depth that we are building this class.. every team in the playoff had freshman they depended on and we will do the same at this spot.  secondary we need to replace star and 1 cb spot and 1 safety spot. i believe mcghee and newcomer campbell (if we get him which right now i think happens) will compete for the spot opposite baker.  we have plenty of options for star and safety.  our secondary is in good shape to deal with losing 3 guys.  my biggest concern is ILB and the leadership we lost.  Guys like fromm, gaillard, baker, tyler clark, ledbetter, and godwin will need to step up and be leaders.  the staff have been working with those guys and others on being leaders.  

punter is an impt spot.  our punter this year was a freaking weapon and was huge.  we gotta make sure we get a quality replacement.  the we lost 31 seniors as we both know is soo overused.  We have a lot of talent and like every team have question marks, but the great thing is our blue chip ratio will be better and the talent we have to choose from is better.  i am excited. 

I see many people repeating this problem of losing 4 starting LBs, but until Natrez is officially kicked off the team (something I don't expect to happen) then we've got to pencil him back into the starting lineup. I addition, Walker wasn't a starter, but he is a senior and a better pass rusher than either of Lo Carter or Bellamy - he's just not as well rounded.

Saying we are losing 4 starters at LB paints a bleaker picture than I think it should. Saying we have 2 senior LB's returning who have played a lot of snaps makes it seem less dire IMO. I think Natrez ends up getting suspended some games in the end, but that's not the same as being off the team for the whole season.

Edited by RandomFan

15 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I see many people repeating this problem of losing 4 starting LBs, but until Natrez is officially kicked off the team (something I don't expect to happen) then we've got to pencil him back into the starting lineup. I addition, Walker wasn't a starter, but he is a senior and a better pass rusher than either of Lo Carter or Bellamy - he's just not as well rounded.

Saying we are losing 4 starters at LB paints a bleaker picture than I think it should. Saying we have 2 senior LB's returning who have played a lot of snaps makes it seem less dire IMO. I think Natrez ends up getting suspended some games in the end, but that's not the same as being off the team for the whole season.

I would be willing to bet money that KS doesn’t have him penciled in as a starter. The kid is literally a hair away from not playing football at UGA and he has a serious problem with multiple drugs and alcohol. I sure HOPE he gets his life together and comes back playing out of his mind, but that is a huge if. As Randy McMichael said, “you can’t trust him.” He will have to earn back the trust of his coaches and team.

16 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Here is our depth chart from ourlads.  http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/georgia/90590

So on offense we lose wims, wynn, blazevich, sony, and chubb.  we return most of our 2 deep on offense.  Losing wims can hurt us some, but we add a lot of talent in landers and holloman.  on offense we should be in great shape even losing sony and chubb.  our oline and qb improvement will make this a very dangerous unit.  

On defense we lose 2 of our starting dlinemen, all 4 starters at linebacker, and 2 of our 4 starters in the seconday.  So basically we lose 8 starters, but just 9 out of our 2 deep.  We rotate a lot of guys in so not worried about the dline.  linebacker especially inside is a concern.  we have a number of candidates, but not one proven (unless patrick makes a full comeback).  outside i feel pretty good about.  walker was one of our best pass rushers.  I also liked what i saw of walter grant.  we bring in a ton of talent at OLB so while we will be young, i like our depth that we are building this class.. every team in the playoff had freshman they depended on and we will do the same at this spot.  secondary we need to replace star and 1 cb spot and 1 safety spot. i believe mcghee and newcomer campbell (if we get him which right now i think happens) will compete for the spot opposite baker.  we have plenty of options for star and safety.  our secondary is in good shape to deal with losing 3 guys.  my biggest concern is ILB and the leadership we lost.  Guys like fromm, gaillard, baker, tyler clark, ledbetter, and godwin will need to step up and be leaders.  the staff have been working with those guys and others on being leaders.  

punter is an impt spot.  our punter this year was a freaking weapon and was huge.  we gotta make sure we get a quality replacement.  the we lost 31 seniors as we both know is soo overused.  We have a lot of talent and like every team have question marks, but the great thing is our blue chip ratio will be better and the talent we have to choose from is better.  i am excited. 

The big question is, who will step up as leaders?

Fromm is definitely leading candidate. 

20 minutes ago, sdogg said:

The big question is, who will step up as leaders?

Fromm is definitely leading candidate. 

yep that is a big question.  we will hear more about that in the offseason after spring happens.  those leaders usually are more clearly known.. they lead those offseason workouts/7 on 7s, etc..  

On 1/20/2018 at 1:13 PM, Carter said:

I’m not so sure it’s a matter of him growing up. Anyone can get addicted to a substance. Athletes are probably more at risk than most because of the injuries and pain they deal with. I’ve seen it mentioned that Gibbs was also involved in a car accident. I don’t know how accurate that is, but if he was and if he had any issues from that then he more than likely would be given prescription pain relievers or muscle relaxers... which our country has kinda been in an epidemic of addiction problems with for years now.

If Gibbs had gotten himself in trouble you could say he needs to grow up. As it is he has accepted treatment which is about the most grown up thing you can do in this kind of situation. 

Dawganation article regarding the auto accident.  March of his Jr. year.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/next-generation-the-harrowing-night-uga-freshman-deangelo-gibbs-thought-he-might-die

Carter likes this

5 hours ago, richham said:

I would be willing to bet money that KS doesn’t have him penciled in as a starter. The kid is literally a hair away from not playing football at UGA and he has a serious problem with multiple drugs and alcohol. I sure HOPE he gets his life together and comes back playing out of his mind, but that is a huge if. As Randy McMichael said, “you can’t trust him.” He will have to earn back the trust of his coaches and team.

How is it a huge IF? The kid has already gone to a treatment facility and already knows he's on his last chance. Much like Ledbetter who Kirby didn't give up on, and is not one of our returning senior leaders and a big part of our defense. It's an IF, for sure, but far from a huge one. What McMichael said has zero bearing on whether Natrez plays or not. If he gets cleaned up and gets his act together, he WILL be playing. He's by far the most experienced ILB on the roster, so there is no question about that.

29 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

How is it a huge IF? The kid has already gone to a treatment facility and already knows he's on his last chance. Much like Ledbetter who Kirby didn't give up on, and is not one of our returning senior leaders and a big part of our defense. It's an IF, for sure, but far from a huge one. What McMichael said has zero bearing on whether Natrez plays or not. If he gets cleaned up and gets his act together, he WILL be playing. He's by far the most experienced ILB on the roster, so there is no question about that.

The guy has literally gotten in trouble 4 times now and this past one, he has skated by on a technicality. UGA has a storied history over the past 15 years of guys who had chance after chance and couldn’t get their act together. If you think someone going to rehab and being on their last chance in any way guarantees success, you don’t pay much attention to the news. The nfl, college football, sports, musicians, Hollywood is littered with the failed careers and corpses of men and women who couldn’t conquer their drug addictions. Not only does he have to get clean, there could be numerous issues underlying the addictions. I’ll say it again. I HOPE he gets clean and comes back better than ever, but it is a HUGE if and I don’t think Kirby has him penciled in anywhere on this depth chart. It’s not because he doesn’t have talent, but he has continued to get in trouble and let his coaches and team down. He will have to earn his spot back if/when he gets his life straightened out. If you don’t like my opinion, oh well that’s okay with me. Talk to me next year since you have him healthy, clean and penciled in as a starter.

35 minutes ago, richham said:

If you think someone going to rehab and being on their last chance in any way guarantees success, you don’t pay much attention to the news.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

How is it a huge IF? It's an IF, for sure, but far from a huge one.

One of these things is not like the other. Better reading comprehension is advised.

35 minutes ago, richham said:

Talk to me next year since you have him healthy, clean and penciled in as a starter.

Talk to me when you can understand what I actually said. I said IF he gets his act together, then he will be penciled in as a starter. As opposed to just blindly assuming he's 100% a goner already. There is a difference between cautioning people to not give up on a player prematurely and in guaranteeing a player will return. The latter is a figment of your imagination; the former is just common freakin' sense.

Edited by RandomFan