TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,544 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, sdogg said:

I think Fromm has the "it" factor as well. Just in a different way. Fields has major "it" factor. 

Fromm probably has everything you would ever want in an NFL QB other than maybe a stronger arm and a few more inches of height. He's going to be an amazing college QB, will have a chance at being an NFL QB but I'm afraid he might end up being more like Aaron Murray in the NFL.

Edited by RandomFan
sdogg likes this

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-rankings-Way-too-early-college-football-Top-25-for-the-2018-season-113442334

Way-too-early Top 25: Bama's (still) built to last

No. 1 Alabama: Sure, Alabama was likely going to be No. 1 when we began researching our rankings before the title game. But with the emergence of quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, not to mention a new wave of offensive forces in Najee Harris, Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy (and more), the ceiling feels even higher for the Tide. There are some critical losses – Calvin Ridley and Minkah Fitzpatrick come to mind – but this was a young team in 2017. The offense clearly looks like it's going to be more dynamic and improve. Defensively, do the Crimson Tide ever really take a step back? Look for Mack Wilson to become the Tide's next great inside linebacker.

No. 2 Georgia: There’s no reason to think Georgia is going anywhere. Bolstered by two straight top-three recruiting classes, the Bulldogs are built to endure losses. It’ll hurt to lose players like Nick Chubb and Roquan Smith – expected to declare for the NFL draft – but the return of Jake Fromm (with competition from Justin Fields), D’Andre Swift and a deep stable of defenders makes that easier to overlook. Expect the 2017 and 2018 classes for Georgia to form the framework for more SEC title runs.

No. 3 Clemson: Following the Tigers’ Sugar Bowl loss, Dabo Swinney said he expects many more Alabama-Clemson clashes, and there’s no reason not to believe him. The majority of Clemson’s offensive contributors are set to return, including quarterback Kelly Bryant and the freshman running back tandem of Tavien Feaster and Travis Etienne. The defense will suffer some NFL losses, but the Tigers are recruiting at a level that allows them to overcome that attrition.

No. 4 Ohio State: The most talented team in the country outside of Alabama, the Buckeyes are well equipped to contend yet again under Urban Meyer. The offense won’t skip a beat with Dwayne Haskins or Joe Burrow taking over for J.T. Barrett, especially with J.K. Dobbins and Mike Weber returning. There are many losses on defense to overcome – Sam Hubbard and Denzel Ward to name a few – but Nick Bosa and talented underclassmen such as Jeffrey Okudah are ready to step into those spots.

No. 5 Wisconsin: If you don’t believe in the Badgers now, you probably never will. But Wisconsin is legit, and it will be a contender again in 2018. The majority of the team’s offense is back next season, including quarterback Alex Hornibrook and star running back Jonathan Taylor. Defensively, there are some major losses, including Garret Dooley and Nick Nelson, but the Badgers have shown the ability to retool on that side of the ball. This isn’t the old school Big Ten Wisconsin of 10 years ago; they’re talented and fast. Expect them to challenge for a CFB Playoff spot once again.

No. 6 Miami: The Hurricanes were ahead of schedule for most of 2017, but their 2018 roster should put them in position to avoid another late-season fade. Most of the offense, led by quarterback Malik Rosier, returns. The same can be said on defense, where Chad Thomas is the only major departure. If the Hurricanes can survive a difficult non-conference slate – vs. LSU and at Toledo – they’re set up for a national title run.

No. 7 Oklahoma: Baker Mayfield is gone, but don’t expect too much of a dropoff for the Sooner offense with Kyler Murray under center. It helps that weapons such as Marquise Brown and CeeDee Lamb return to help him out. By the way, expect Bobby Evans to emerge as one of the best tackles in the country with Orlando Brown headed to the NFL. The defense is where the Sooners must make strides. Losing Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Steven Parker are huge blows, and an overall young unit in 2017 needs to improve quickly. If the Sooners can even be average on defense, they should win a fourth straight Big 12 title.

No. 8 Michigan State: Mark Dantonio worked a magic trick in 2017 by turning the least experienced team in the FBS into a 10-win team. With almost the entire two-deep returning, including quarterback Brian Lewerke, the Spartans are set up for another CFB Playoff run in the always difficult Big Ten East.

No. 9 Auburn: The Tigers’ 2018 hopes received a huge boost when Jarrett Stidham opted to return college for one more year. The Tigers need to replace a trio of good linemen (Austin Golson, Braden Smith and Darius James) and Kerryon Johnson, but they’ve recruited well enough to do so. The same could be said of losses like Carlton Davis and Tray Matthews on defense. Auburn proved it can beat the big boys in 2018. Now, with Washington and LSU on the schedule within the first three weeks, it needs to show it again.

No. 10 Washington: Washington opens its 2018 schedule in Atlanta against Auburn, so ESPN probably won’t be chiding the Huskies for playing cupcakes again. That season opener will be a highlight game, and Washington will have the majority of its contributors coming back for it. Outside of wide receiver Dante Pettis and defensive tackle Vita Vea, the Huskies return pretty much everyone. That includes quarterback Jake Browning, running back Myles Gaskin and tight end Hunter Bryant. A young Husky defense that finished eighth nationally this season brings all but three starters back.

sdogg likes this

There will be a lot of offseason talk about the young signal-caller going into his second season with the Bulldogs. SportsBettingDime listed Jake Fromm at No.1 for their Heisman Trophy odds at 10-1.  Running back D'Andre Swift was tied with Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley and Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor for second-best odds at 14-1.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

I'm not crying you're crying!

Da mn.Good.Dawgs

Man that's awesome. 

These onions here are serious today. 

yes-rudy1.gif

http://onlineathens.com/sports/dogbytes/2018-01-10/georgia-s-rashad-roundtree-s-football-career-ending-due-concussions

Georgia’s Rashad Roundtree’s football career ending due to concussions

“As a result of a number of concussions, it is with a heavy heart that I announce that my journey in the path of football has come to an end,” he wrote in a series of Twitter posts. “As a child, all of my dreams involved playing football and it deeply saddens me that I can’t play anymore. I want to humbly thank everyone that has supported me and who continue to support me. From little league, to middle school, through high school and now at Georgia my life has always been filled with football. My best memories involve being out on the field with my boys and with my family in the crowd cheering me on.”

Sucks for the kid.

6 hours ago, RandomFan said:

http://onlineathens.com/sports/dogbytes/2018-01-10/georgia-s-rashad-roundtree-s-football-career-ending-due-concussions

Georgia’s Rashad Roundtree’s football career ending due to concussions

“As a result of a number of concussions, it is with a heavy heart that I announce that my journey in the path of football has come to an end,” he wrote in a series of Twitter posts. “As a child, all of my dreams involved playing football and it deeply saddens me that I can’t play anymore. I want to humbly thank everyone that has supported me and who continue to support me. From little league, to middle school, through high school and now at Georgia my life has always been filled with football. My best memories involve being out on the field with my boys and with my family in the crowd cheering me on.”

Sucks for the kid.

Having watched one of my rugby players suffer a serious reaction to a moderate concussion due to a previous severe concussion (brought on by a football coach who refused to let him stop practicing after the first few hits until he passed out), I'm so relieved to see that he made the right decision. When you see a kid gasping for breath, eyes rolling to the back of his head, being put on the ambulance, it puts things into perspective. It may hurt for Roundtree to step away, but when he's 60 with kids and grandkids, he'll be grateful that he chose to protect his brain over chasing a dream.

Dawggone, ncgodawgs, 95Dawg and 1 other like this

Sounds like Trent Thompson has declared for the NFL Draft. Can't seem to find his instagram account for some reason, but it's being reported in several places now.

“After long discussion with my family and coaches I have decided to enter the 2018 NFL Draft. I would like to thank my family, teammates, Coach Smart and the rest of the staff for all of their support the last 3 years. Coming to Athens was the best decision of my life and the memories and friendships I’ve made will last a lifetime. Playing in the NFL has been a lifelong dream of mine and I’m excited to see what the future holds. Even though I’m moving on to the next chapter, Georgia will always be home! I certainly want to thank the greatest fans in the country for their passion and support! Thank you Jolly Nation and Go Dawgs!!”