TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,622 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

I like that he has coached with Kirby, Tucker and GS, but I know nothing about him.

recruiting coordinator who eat and sleeps football.. will be relentless.  great hire.. 

So much for having a championship viewing party at Sanford! Maybe the University could set something up for students and fans at the indoor or maybe Stegeman?

Who are we expecting to step up at wr next year?  Coming into this season, I thought holloman was gonna be seeing some good action and certainly expected Ridley to build off his freshman year.

I've heard good things a about Landers, do we think he sees a lot of action next year? What about Holloman?  Anyone else? Simmons? 

3 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Who are we expecting to step up at wr next year?  Coming into this season, I thought holloman was gonna be seeing some good action and certainly expected Ridley to build off his freshman year.

I've heard good things a about Landers, do we think he sees a lot of action next year? What about Holloman?  Anyone else? Simmons? 

landers and simmons.. holloman might as well.  ridley would need to do a huge change to have any confidence in him.. he has hands of stone. 

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

landers and simmons.. holloman might as well.  ridley would need to do a huge change to have any confidence in him.. he has hands of stone. 

Any thoughts/word on Blount's progress? Seems like Holloman has dealt with injuries a bit this season... Seems like Landers is most likely to see time as the big body "Wims" type receiver... 

24 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Any thoughts/word on Blount's progress? Seems like Holloman has dealt with injuries a bit this season... Seems like Landers is most likely to see time as the big body "Wims" type receiver... 

good question on blount.. heard some good stuff early on, but recently it's been pretty quiet.. we will know a lot more about blount this spring.  holloman as you said has dealt with injuries.. he just hasn't really had a shot at making the rotation..  coaches have raved about landers and simmons has really impressed.  regarding ridley we do really need him to step up.. he has the most experience and whatever went wrong this year he needs to work it out and be ready in the spring.. wims isn't going to be easy to replace.. fromm trusts him that he will catch whatever he is thrown..  that trust is important. 

Ridley is going to be an interesting situation. It could very well turn out that it's just he and a true freshman QB never had a chance to develop any chemistry. I imagine they couldn't have gotten too many reps together in the preseason with Eason getting of lot of reps with the projected 1st group, and then all of them once named the starter going into the season. It wouldn't be the first time a good player got buried on the depth chart simply because of a lack of chemistry with the QB, or simply not having the time or opportunity yet to build trust with the QB. 

They definitely have something to get worked out, but I'm not quite ready to give up on Ridley just yet.

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Ridley is going to be an interesting situation. It could very well turn out that it's just he and a true freshman QB never had a chance to develop any chemistry. I imagine they couldn't have gotten too many reps together in the preseason with Eason getting of lot of reps with the projected 1st group, and then all of them once named the starter going into the season. It wouldn't be the first time a good player got buried on the depth chart simply because of a lack of chemistry with the QB, or simply not having the time or opportunity yet to build trust with the QB. 

They definitely have something to get worked out, but I'm not quite ready to give up on Ridley just yet.

ridley has dropped a number of balls that have hit him on the hands.. he had another one in the rose bowl, but he also had some great blocks so he is putting forth the effort to block.  it's very possible he is having some confidence issues due to his drops this year and sometimes that causes a player to press.  whatever his issues are he should be able to work on them in the spring with fromm.  they will have more reps to work stuff out.  he has a lot of talent, but this was just a down year for him..  

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

ridley has dropped a number of balls that have hit him on the hands.. he had another one in the rose bowl, but he also had some great blocks so he is putting forth the effort to block.  it's very possible he is having some confidence issues due to his drops this year and sometimes that causes a player to press.  whatever his issues are he should be able to work on them in the spring with fromm.  they will have more reps to work stuff out.  he has a lot of talent, but this was just a down year for him..  

Upside... Fromm is the kind of guy to go make other guys better... He's going to be leading drills all off-season, guaranteed. No receiver that is on the roster right now is likely to be able to claim "chemistry" is the issue next season. I get it this year, due to the quick shift from Eason to Fromm.

RandomFan likes this

5 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Upside... Fromm is the kind of guy to go make other guys better... He's going to be leading drills all off-season, guaranteed. No receiver that is on the roster right now is likely to be able to claim "chemistry" is the issue next season. I get it this year, due to the quick shift from Eason to Fromm.

Exactly. If the issues persist through next season, then that's all on Ridley at that point. Either way, we should have plenty enough receiving options without him if we have too. Godwin and Hardman return, as do Nauta and Woerner -- you would like to think the TEs will be a bigger part of things going forward now that the freshman QB will be developing. Then there should be at least one or two of the bevy of 2017 freshman WRs we signed step forward into the rotation. Don't forget Kearis either. Swift has already shown to be a huge threat as a receiver out of the backfield, and Cook will be too.

We should be more than fine being able to pass the ball next season; IF and when we need too. We'll probably just run the ball down everyone's throat again anyway since our OL should be even more improved. We ran it what, almost 70% this season? Expect more of the same.

Edited by RandomFan
fibonaccisquared likes this

6 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

fromm already was leading drills all off-season this past year.  kirby referred to it when discussing his leadership was already on display this spring and summer.  it was so impressive what he was doing and how eason was learning from fromm regarding leadership and how to handle himself..  there is so much i could say about what happened this past summer and spring, it just so awesome.  the good thing is no matter what happens with ridley we have options there..  it was great to see simmons get catches and reps.. he also has shown he is a capable blocker as well.  a wr won't see the field if he isn't willing to block..  

7 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

fromm already was leading drills all off-season this past year.  kirby referred to it when discussing his leadership was already on display this spring and summer.  it was so impressive what he was doing and how eason was learning from fromm regarding leadership and how to handle himself..  there is so much i could say about what happened this past summer and spring, it just so awesome.  the good thing is no matter what happens with ridley we have options there..  it was great to see simmons get catches and reps.. he also has shown he is a capable blocker as well.  a wr won't see the field if he isn't willing to block..  

Exactly. Big difference is he's now "the guy"... At least for now. I don't think Fields supplants him... But going to be interesting to see how Kirby manages that situation. 

15 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Exactly. Big difference is he's now "the guy"... At least for now. I don't think Fields supplants him... But going to be interesting to see how Kirby manages that situation. 

I could see two possible playing options for Fields.

1) He gets mop up time, which considering the roster we are building should be plenty since we are going to bury teams early and often.

2) He has a smallish package of plays they rotate him in every now and then just to get him on the field. Kind of like we attempted to do with David Greene and Shockley back in the day. UGA's motivation for doing this, beyond the obvious developmental reasons, would be to give the opposing defensive coordinators that much more that they have to gameplan for.

As you say, I don't know if even Fields can supplant Fromm as the starter at this point, even as talented as Fields is. Fromm  is just so well liked and respected, there might be a Mutiny on the Bounty if Kirby tried to do that.

Edited by RandomFan
sdogg likes this

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I could see two possible playing options for Fields.

1) He gets mop up time, which considering the roster we are building should be plenty since we are going to bury teams early and often.

2) He has a smallish package of plays they rotate him in every now and then just to get him on the field. UGA's motivation for doing this, beyond the obvious developmental reasons, would be to give the opposing defensive coordinators that much more that they have to gameplan for.

As you say, I don't know if even Fields can supplant Fromm as the starter at this point, even as talented as Fields is. Fromm  is just so well liked and respected, there might be a Mutiny on the Bounty if Kirby tried to do that.

If we sign 10 5*s this year, we might truly have 2 starting 11's on both sides of the ball... :lol: Smart can throw every DCs gameplans in the toilet and just decide on which lineup he wants to trot out to start... switch at will. (/sarcasm - at least partially)

But yeah, I could see both of those scenarios... I do worry though just not being able to get separation between them. Would love to be *able* to RS Fields this year, but with Eason almost assuredly transferring, seems unlikely that we'd roll with Stetson Bennett as the only backup QB.

8 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

But yeah, I could see both of those scenarios... I do worry though just not being able to get separation between them. Would love to be *able* to RS Fields this year, but with Eason almost assuredly transferring, seems unlikely that we'd roll with Stetson Bennett as the only backup QB.

Well, I mean if you want to theorize, it's possible to red-shirt Fields - even when Eason transfers. We do have more walk-on QBs than just Bennett as well. But Bennett can always be the regular game backup for mop up duty, a few plays due to a minor Fromm injury or whatever. And only use Fields if there is a multiple game injury to Fromm.

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Well, I mean if you want to theorize, it's possible to red-shirt Fields - even when Eason transfers. We do have more walk-on QBs than just Bennett as well. But Bennett can always be the regular game backup for mop up duty, a few plays due to a minor Fromm injury or whatever. And only use Fields if there is a multiple game injury to Fromm.

I'll be interested to see how spring practices go... that may dictate a lot. Fields may force his way onto the field... but if not, might prefer this option.

In regards to the Fields/Fromm "situation" - like @RandomFan said, we could have designated "packages" for Fields to just get PT and for opposing defenses to have to game plan for as well. Fields is that good. However, like others have mentioned - this is Fromm's team now. Fromm's leadership and personality rub off on everyone in that locker room. It has been talked about how Fromm is cool under pressure and the guys feed off that. Perfect example is the Rose Bowl. Fromm epitomizes what CKS is all about - Keep Chopping Wood. 

sdogg likes this