TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,407 posts in this topic

Texas, can you believe that 9th in the SEC, is the guy who wrote that real?

I'm not sure how creidable he is but 5th in the east. I don't see that. If he is right we will have a new coach next year. But to put TN ahead of us after we smoked them last year.

1. Alabama

The Crimson Tide may not be the dominant force they were two years ago and they may not be the overwhelming favorite they were last season but in February 2011 they look like the best of the SEC. AJ McCarron got some good reps last season, the offensive line has great depth and once again Alabama has the best group of linebackers in the SEC. If a bad season for Nick Saban is 10 wins, we all know what a good season looks like. Has to break in a new full time QB

2. Arkansas

I am not shy to admit that I like Tyler Wilson a lot and expect some big things from with the Arkansas offense. Even though in the bowl game the receivers reverted back to their Pre-2010 hands of stone…there is a lot of talent on the offense. Knile Davis will get a full 12 games as the starter, Wilson will run with the 1’s for the second straight spring and the defense is slowly improving. This team is capable of fighting for the SEC West once again this year and a second straight BCS bowl. Has to break in a new full time QB

3. LSU

The Fighting Tigers are the most intriguing team in the SEC this year because of the QB position…if Jordan Jefferson wins the starting job this spot might be a little too high for LUS. If Zach Mettenberger comes out this spring and plays like myself and many other analysts expect…this spot might be too low. This might be the most important spring Les Miles has had at LSU and all eyes will be on the quarterback battle. Quarterback is the final piece of the puzzle for LSU this year. We don't really know how Mett will fair against SEC comp fulltime

4. Auburn

Two big difference makes gone but the biggest reason for Auburn’s success is still there as Gus Malzahn will run the Auburn offense for another season. A Chris Todd led offense won 8 games in 2008 with limited playmakers but the Auburn offense is stacked at the skill positions. The defense has to rebuild an experienced defensive line and replace some senior leaders but it won’t be worse than it was last year. Has to break in a new full time QB, and lost, I think 3 starters from their OL.

5. Tennessee

The Vols have some very good pieces put together and this year the Eastern division puzzle will be completed by Derek Dooley. The offense should be good with Tyler Bray and a group of young offensive weapons taking a big step forward. The defense still has All-SEC capable players at every level and the extra bowl practice will be the difference in a trip to Atlanta for Tennessee. Still to much lack of talent on that team overall. Bray looked good at times, as well as that Fresh WR.

6. South Carolina

Like LSU in the SEC West, South Carolina has the most room to improve with the spring practice because we have no clue what is going on at quarterback. This is not meant to infuriate the Stephen Garcia supporters but the battle this spring should be fun to watch. Alshon Jeffrey and Marcus Lattimore will be unanimous All-SEC selections at SEC media days but does Carolina have the leaders on defense to replace some very special seniors? I feel they should have been in the top 4 easily, To have TN ranked higher than us and SC is disrespectful

7. Florida

For the first time in a long time I have no clue what to expect from the Gators this year. They will be running a completely new offense, a completely new defense and have a completely new coaching staff. Moving a bunch of spread players into a pro-style offense is not going to be easy and John Brantley is the key to their success. Is Brantley overrated or just the wrong fit for a spread offense? That quarterback position will dictate the success of the Gators and Charlie Weis has his work cut out for him. Have to learn a whole new offense, plus sure to be a QB battle

8. Mississippi State

The Bulldogs have great coaches; the Gator Bowl answered any questions you may have had about Dan Mullen. The team that some thought would be happy to be in Jacksonville acted anything but happy to be there. Chris Relf returns, hopefully his accuracy will improve this year but minus Manny Diaz and two awesome linebackers look for MSU to take a small step back.

9. Georgia

This recruiting season amazed me…not because of Georgia’s success but because of how big a deal everyone made of it. UGA has recruited top 10 classes for nearly a decade now so talent has never been the problem…developing it has. That is why Georgia might be in trouble again this fall. Relying on a true freshmen to run the football is risky, no receiver improvement in years is a worry and an offensive line that never gets better is a problem. It is hard to see a huge turnaround for Richt and the Dawgs this fall; they just look mediocre right now.

10. Ole Miss

Houston Nutt continues to improve the talent in Oxford but this team is still rebuilding. There will be a new starting quarterback this fall and the middle of the defense was hit hard by graduation and players declaring for the draft. Houston Nutt always does his best as an underdog and that is what the Rebels are this year.

11. Kentucky

Year two for Joker Phillips is going to be a lot tougher than year one, the Wildcats are replacing a lot of key players with Randall Cobb, Mike Hartline and Derrick Locke all gone. The defense brings back all everything linebacker Danny Trevathan but with so many losses it will be a huge success for Kentucky to make it back to a bowl game for the sixth straight season. I think they will be better than most are giving then credit for. They have gotten a lot of underrated players from GA. They will have to sure up the QB position fast though.

12. Vanderbilt

No one should be surprised to see Vandy last in this poll, they are going to struggle once again this year and while the offense may be a little more organized under first year coach James Franklin, and the players aren’t there. Maybe in a year or two Vandy will be back to its normal self where a sloppy game by the favored team could result in an upset but the Dores aren’t there yet.

You wonder who are leaders are: Read this twitter exchange:

AB3daDIFFRENTER Abry Jones

@BooMalcome24 take yo *** to class

response:

@BooMalcome24 Kendrun Malcome

@AB3daDIFFRENTER boy I'm in class dey ain't bout to suspend me

Great to see this kind of leadership, keep on him Abry.

Freight Train Jones likes this

Texas, can you believe that 9th in the SEC, is the guy who wrote that real?

I saw that article. I don't agree with it but plenty of people out there think we're a very mediocre team, its really hard to argue with the way the last 2 years have been. We all laughed when the Orlando Sentinnel ranked us at 67 (or something like that) last year. Well it turned out pretty close last year and nobody here brought it up again.

Articles like these should not matter anymore, its time to put up or shut up. We have to make everbody eat their words and it starts by taking care of business in the offseason to prepare to kick azz once the season begins. We have to earn respect because nobody really respects what Richt and our boys can do on the field anymore.

I saw that article. I don't agree with it but plenty of people out there think we're a very mediocre team, its really hard to argue with the way the last 2 years have been. We all laughed when the Orlando Sentinnel ranked us at 67 (or something like that) last year. Well it turned out pretty close last year and nobody here brought it up again.

Articles like these should not matter anymore, its time to put up or shut up. We have to make everbody eat their words and it starts by taking care of business in the offseason to prepare to kick azz once the season begins. We have to earn respect because nobody really respects what Richt and our boys can do on the field anymore.

It pains me to say it but you are right. Maybe good locker room fodder?

I agree with these articles not meaning a thing. And the reality is people outside of UGA view us as a program on the decline and we dont develop our talent. Alot of my friends are not UGA fans and I hear it all the time.

I think Richt should use this as motivation.

You wonder who are leaders are: Read this twitter exchange:

AB3daDIFFRENTER Abry Jones

@BooMalcome24 take yo *** to class

response:

@BooMalcome24 Kendrun Malcome

@AB3daDIFFRENTER boy I'm in class dey ain't bout to suspend me

Great to see this kind of leadership, keep on him Abry.

Definitely good to see the upper classman looking out for the youngins. I like malcomes response. And for any of you that think that they aren't noticing that there are no more chances, are wrong. I think the attitude is being set and NOBODY Wants to do wrong by the staff right Now.

Kind of like when you were a kid and noticed dad had a very bad day at the office. You knew today wasn't the day to test his patience.

Edited by chadtm77

I say let them underestimate us. It is meaningless at this time anyway. I like the vibe that has come from this recruiting class, but I don't want our players thinking they are gonna walk all over Boise St., USCe, Auburn, or anyone on our schedule for that matter. We need to go into games with the feeling that we have something to prove and put an ugly beatdown on everyone in our path.

I say let them underestimate us. It is meaningless at this time anyway. I like the vibe that has come from this recruiting class, but I don't want our players thinking they are gonna walk all over Boise St., USCe, Auburn, or anyone on our schedule for that matter. We need to go into games with the feeling that we have something to prove and put an ugly beatdown on everyone in our path.

THIS. That's exactly what I'm talking about. When somebody doesn't respect you, you step and punch in the mouth. Respect will have to be earned this season. That's the message that I hope our staff sends to our boys.

THIS. That's exactly what I'm talking about. When somebody doesn't respect you, you step and punch in the mouth. Respect will have to be earned this season. That's the message that I hope our staff sends to our boys.

SMACK DOWN

How do we land the #1 RB and end up 4th?????? LOL

yes Convert it is a little flawed ;) Have to be able to look a little beyond the rankings per se. Yeah the rankings are meaningless.

How do we land the #1 RB and end up 4th?????? LOL

Believe it or not, Rivals has Crowell listed as the #4 RB in the 2011 class. I still don't see how they can put UF above us when they have one 4 star and one 3 star. That to me doesn't beat one 5 star for UGA in my book. Obviously, the way that Rivals ranks recruiting classes is pretty wack!

Edited by Blackout

Believe it or not, Rivals has Crowell listed as the #4 RB in the 2011 class. I still don't see how they can put UF above us when they have one 4 star and one 3 star. That to me doesn't beat one 5 star for UGA in my book. Obviously, the way that Rivals ranks recruiting classes is pretty wack!

Their point system is wack, look at MISS having 6 WR's and they are number 1? It is the only reason they are number 1. Have to really look behind these numbers.

Never been a fan of this UF/ALA slanted Rivals.

Edited by crap sandwich

Yea most of the "Rankings" are all over the board, fun to look at, great to brag on "when they go our way" and mostly just for the fun of it.. :unsure: :rolleyes: :wub: :P

What have been our rankings for the last 5 years, I know we had some pretty good but I believe we had a "down" year or two - at least for us.

Also didn't we "notify - tell" HS Coaches that we were changing our recruiting of certain Linebackers when CWM took over. That we would no longer be looking at LB's for a certain position? Sure this hurt us in certain circles, maybe remembering it wrong.

Yea most of the "Rankings" are all over the board, fun to look at, great to brag on "when they go our way" and mostly just for the fun of it..

What have been our rankings for the last 5 years, I know we had some pretty good but I believe we had a "down" year or two - at least for us.

Also didn't we "notify - tell" HS Coaches that we were changing our recruiting of certain Linebackers when CWM took over. That we would no longer be looking at LB's for a certain position? Sure this hurt us in certain circles, maybe remembering it wrong.

Here are the ESPN rankings for UGA, UF and FSU for the last 6yrs:

2006 - UGA (4th), UF (1st) and FSU (6th)

2007 - UGA (13th), UF (2nd) and FSU (25th)

2008 - UGA (5th), UF (4th) and FSU (12th)

2009 - UGA (6th), UF (5th) and FSU (8th)

2010 - UGA (12th), UF (1st) and FSU (6th)

2011 - UGA (6th, but doesn't include JJ), UF (12th) and FSU (1st)

I am pretty sure I am remember hearing that we would have jumped at least 1 or 2 spots if JJ had been included in the final numbers. I would be willing to bet that FSU puts together another top 3 class for 2012 and wouldn't be surprised if they were #1 again based on how many verbal commits they already have. Based on how good the 2012 talent is in Georgia, I am hoping we will be up there as well.

Edited by Blackout

Here are the ESPN rankings for UGA, UF and FSU for the last 6yrs:

2006 - UGA (4th), UF (1st) and FSU (6th)

2007 - UGA (13th), UF (2nd) and FSU (25th)

2008 - UGA (5th), UF (4th) and FSU (12th)

2009 - UGA (6th), UF (5th) and FSU (8th)

2010 - UGA (12th), UF (1st) and FSU (6th)

2011 - UGA (6th, but doesn't include JJ), UF (12th) and FSU (1st)

I am pretty sure I am remember hearing that we would have jumped at least 1 or 2 spots if JJ had been included in the final numbers. I would be willing to bet that FSU puts together another top 3 class for 2012 and wouldn't be surprised if they were #1 again based on how many verbal commits they already have. Based on how good the 2012 talent is in Georgia, I am hoping we will be up there as well.

Great Report Blackout....if now we get the other things working we can be a top team again. Look for 2012 to be a fantastic recruiting year.

I want to know why you guys are so high on this new o-line coach? I think there must be something I am missing about this hire, because it seems mediocre at best IMO (that is just my opinion).

I want to know why you guys are so high on this new o-line coach? I think there must be something I am missing about this hire, because it seems mediocre at best IMO (that is just my opinion).

Fair question. Young coach we are familiar with, a Neil Callaway protege who INHO did a better job with the OL than Searels did, or at least we had more success. Good hire because he knows our offense inside and out, and the blocking schemes. We hear a good recruiter as well.