TXDawg

Georgia (UGA) related News

14,681 posts in this topic

I'm a long time lurker and certainly not trying to start anything, just trying to better understand those that feel really good with the state of the program. I love Richt, and want nothing more for him to win a championship, but just don't think it's gonna happen under the current state of affairs.

I think most recognize we've had year's with some bad breaks with injuries/refereeing and years in which the timing was poor (the '12 team would likely be playing in Pasedena this yr). But we've also had areas where we've utterly underperformed, especially in terms of talent and production (end of this NFL season, UGA led all college's with 43 players on active roster....LSU 40 and AL 35).

I guess I'm just curious what the breaking point is for those that tend to be optimistic. How do you weigh talent vs production vs bad breaks? What if told you UGA would go 10-3, 9-4, 8-5, and 10-3 the next four years under Richt, what would be your response? Not sure if it matters, but under this scenario, it would conclude Richts 17th year in Athens.

Again, not trying to troll, honestly looking for legit responses.

Not sure what movie it was (Shawshank?), but think somewhere in it they said "hope" will break a man. I think "hope" is sometimes both UGA's best friend and worst enemy.

sdogg likes this

read the article above dream from blutarsky.. it talks about what you are asking.. it's a good read.. let me ask you this if i told you uga would play one of the toughest schedules in the nation and then said that KM4, MM26, TG3, MB82, CC31, JSW86, JR87 and AM11 would combine to miss 50 games........how many wins do you think we'd have? i actually think with what we faced this year injury wise and youth wise we had a better year than other teams would have had. you think if alabama lost that much talent and played our schedule they would have a great season? i don't.. i would say the same for south carolina or lsu or many other teams out there. a big part of winning big is staying relatively healthy.. all championship teams have that in common and our schedule was so tough very few teams would have come through that with just 2 losses.. look at alabama this year they were helped by having a 3 game schedule and a bunch of nothing. if they had to play our schedule with this year's team they lose a few more games. regarding our program we have come off of two straight sec title game seasons with 11-1 regular season last year. we have had our championship chances nave haven't had luck come our way, but i feel very good about next season with what we have returning and the schedule we have to face.

am i happy? nope i am not there are things that need to be addressed and will be, but i still believe CMR is the right man to lead our program. should be fun to see what happens next year.

I'll always be optimistic. But I don't think the problem is more the admins than Richt. Give him the resources others have and I think he'd have similar success.

read the article above dream from blutarsky.. it talks about what you are asking.. it's a good read.. let me ask you this if i told you uga would play one of the toughest schedules in the nation and then said that KM4, MM26, TG3, MB82, CC31, JSW86, JR87 and AM11 would combine to miss 50 games........how many wins do you think we'd have? i actually think with what we faced this year injury wise and youth wise we had a better year than other teams would have had. you think if alabama lost that much talent and played our schedule they would have a great season? i don't.. i would say the same for south carolina or lsu or many other teams out there. a big part of winning big is staying relatively healthy.. all championship teams have that in common and our schedule was so tough very few teams would have come through that with just 2 losses.. look at alabama this year they were helped by having a 3 game schedule and a bunch of nothing. if they had to play our schedule with this year's team they lose a few more games. regarding our program we have come off of two straight sec title game seasons with 11-1 regular season last year. we have had our championship chances nave haven't had luck come our way, but i feel very good about next season with what we have returning and the schedule we have to face.

am i happy? nope i am not there are things that need to be addressed and will be, but i still believe CMR is the right man to lead our program. should be fun to see what happens next year.

CMR is fine. CTG has been the thorn in my side.

Pollack4Heisman likes this

Agreed! Yer most worthy post in 5 years of reading

It was a good read. I wholeheartedly believe in order to have a great season or win a championship a certain amount of luck/fortune must be involved (AU this yr, AL in 12 when KSU/OR lost late, and even our relatively injury free season in '12). The problem I have is the things that Richt, TG, and the players can control.

We we're definitely young and inexperienced on D this yr and most new this would be an issue coming into the season. What makes me pause though is why Granthem didn't simplify the D beyond what he did. A few weeks after spring practice of his first year, I talked to him for about an hour in a relaxed environment which player he was most excited to coach. I expected him to say Houston or maybe even DTyson or Ogletree. He said Jakar Hamilton who was really physically talented and even ended up playing for the Cowboys this yr. I'm not 100% sure what happened with him, but I can guess. Granthem has a complicated D that doesn't allow new comers to easily pick up. He got frustrated and found the easy way out. Why do jc transfers and freshman will always struggle in the secondary? If NMARSHALL can learn an O in a summer, why can't our db's learn CTG's D? Sac, I'm sure you've heard CTG installing elements of the playbook on Thurs and Fri walk through this yr, which makes NO sense!

I understand his excitement, but my question is where is Richt? How does he allow that to happen? Or complicated playbook/calls for a young D, or John Jenkins to balloon up to 360 last yr, or Marlon Brown to go in for a Hail Mary in is FR against TN to burn a redshirt ( he would've been nice this yr!). I know I'm nitpicking. Every program has things they can cite, and I'm highlighting some problems, but if you want to win a championship, the margin of error is really, really thin.

If we have multiple yrs with ST issues, why should we expect any different next yr? If we are undisciplined in certain areas year after yr, why should we expect different next yr? I ask the same question, what if we went 10-3, 9-4, 8-5, and 10-4 over the next 4 yrs? What would your reaction be?

I know it sounds like I want to fire Richt, but I don't. I just question the direction of the program. If we keeping going down this road, are we more likely to win a NC or more likely to be on the outside looking in?

sdogg likes this

I think that's a fair question, I wonder if richt will have that discussion with grantham, hope he does, that way the juco db coming can play- I definately think its the hc job- if not fire bad coaches step in and help make them better- don't just have the."It will be better next year, can't get worse mentality" like special teams.. I hope he steps in and does make significant strides and changes to improve the team, talent is there for a title run next year, I would like to see the coaching equal the talent.

sdogg likes this

It seems we're stuck with Grantham for another year, and I don't have any hope for him suddenly becoming a competent coordinator. So what I really want to know is how we're going to address our special teams deficiencies?

It seems we're stuck with Grantham for another year, and I don't have any hope for him suddenly becoming a competent coordinator. So what I really want to know is how we're going to address our special teams deficiencies?

How in the world does our defensive staff stay the same?

Just amazing.

Not to pile on but just curious, how were ranked top 5 in the country on defense Grantham's 2nd yr again?

Good coaching in part and playing the right teams to help pad the stats. Against better offenses Grantham has always struggled, even in his 2nd year.

Personally I'm okay with him not being fired after this season for several reasons. If he wants to continue coaching as a coordinator or head coach he better figure things out this summer though. I don't know which defensive coach I would fire other than TG. Lakatos has done well up to this year and some have alluded to a health issue and that working itself out. But Lakatos also had to deal with a lot of youth this season due to players being dismissed. I think KO and TG do well coaching the linebackers and the D-Line did well this year. Problems seem more scheme related than anything.

Also, if they did fire Grantham or if he was hired away I would be okay with that as well.

Football: The Lost Recruits of 2010

By Paul Westerdawg

If you're looking to understand what went wrong this season, there is this nugget. The senior class of 2013 was gutted in his ability to help lead this team because it essentially didn't exist.

Here are the signees from the 2010 recruiting class:

• Demetre Baker (LB) - left school
  • Brent Benedict (OT) - left school
  • Michael Bennett (WR) - contributor
  • Brandon Burrows (LB) - injured
  • Marc Deas (DB) - non-factor defensively
  • Jalen Fields (DE) - never arrived
  • Kenarious Gates (OT) - contributor
  • Kolton Houston (OT) - contributor (finally)
  • Jakar Hamilton (DB) - left school
  • Ken Malcome (RB) - left school
  • Hutson Mason (QB) - contributor
  • Dextor Morant (DE) - left school
  • Alec Ogletree (LB) - contributor / NFL
  • Zander Ogletree (FB) - left school
  • Lonnie Outlaw (WR) - never enrolled
  • Derek Owens (DB) - left school
  • Garrison Smith (DL) - contributor
  • TJ Stripling (LB) - oft injured non-factor defensively
  • Mike Thornton (DT) - struggling to find consistent playing time

Of that group, those 19 kids only 5 of them (including Hutson Mason) have made any meaningful impact beyond kick coverage on the 2013 team. Combine that group with the undersigning of 2012 and the massive class in 2013, and you have a season where approximately 40 scholarship players had never played a snap before the season started.

• Is there a special teams problem? Yes.
  • Is there a defensive problem? Yes.
  • Is our Left Tackle recruiting/development/luck a problem? Yes.
  • Is there a discipline problem? Yes.

But if you lose almost an entire recruiting class and undersign by 10 in another, you're going to pay for it later.

PWD

PS -- If you were wondering, the 2009 class had Murray, Lynch, Lee, Burnette and Wooten. Most of the leadership except for Garrison Smith and Bennett came from this group. Not 2010's seniors.

sdogg likes this

My favorite line from that article:

Clemson said some athletes “did not try very hard” on the SAT when they took it because they had already taken the ACT, but the university did not provide ACT scores for most players.

My favorite line from that article:

Clemson said some athletes “did not try very hard” on the SAT when they took it because they had already taken the ACT, but the university did not provide ACT scores for most players.

Hilarious.

I like how the AJC used a photo of Murray signing an autograph for this article to suggest that he is, in fact, literate.

If we could just combine that success with talent and depth along the offensive line it would be huge.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never have confidence in a Mark Richt offensive line.

Are we gonna play Houston at guard next year? Because he looked awful at tackle.

I know Xzavier Ward has had injury troubles in the past, is he healthy now?

Does Zach DeBell have the ability to contribute?

The Dawgs website lists Ward at 6-7 278 and DeBell at 6-6 273. Aulden Bynum only weighed 260, maybe with time he can put on weight. Houston was obviously undersized this past season. Not sure what's up with all the lightweights.

Scott Lakatos has resigned. From Gentry Estes on twitter.. I pray for him and his family. It was mentioned on here a while back he may have had health issues.

Wish him and his family the best even though it's sounding more and more like he was asked to resign!! Now the question is what does Richt and Grantham do now??? Edited by Pollack4Heisman