What's wrong with my computer?

WTA

Ok, when I start it up, after a few seconds the blue taskbar at the bottom turns gray, like the old Windows 95 taskbar...

When this happens, I lose sound. When I click on the volume control icon, a box comes up that says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, then click Add Hardware. This program will now close."

Then after 10-15 more minutes I lose the internet connection. It's not a router/modem problem because my ps3 will remain connected, but the browser says there is no connection.

Any idea what's wrong?

btw, running XP home edition, if that matters...

Ok, when I start it up, after a few seconds the blue taskbar at the bottom turns gray, like the old Windows 95 taskbar...

When this happens, I lose sound. When I click on the volume control icon, a box comes up that says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, then click Add Hardware. This program will now close."

Then after 10-15 more minutes I lose the internet connection. It's not a router/modem problem because my ps3 will remain connected, but the browser says there is no connection.

Any idea what's wrong?

btw, running XP home edition, if that matters...

everythime i have issues i make sure i have a program called rkill malewarebytes and cccleaner

prolly a virus. so restart in safe mode run those programs or do system restore of an earlier date

sounds like it could be spyware/malware/virus. we use malwarebytes and spybot: search and destroy here at work. if you install those and run all of the updates for them, reboot the computer and start hitting F8 to boot to safe mode. choose safe mode with networking and then run each application individually (MalwareBytes will want to restart the computer if it finds anything, but you can run it 2nd for that reason. Also, choose Full Scan for MalwareBytes). They're good about cleaning up some junk that gets on computers. after they have ran in safe mode, reboot and let Windows boot normally. Once in Windows, right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Click on the System Restore tab and then put a check mark in the "Turn off System Restore" box. If there is any malicious software on your computer, this will prevent it from restoring itself to an earlier date.

If the above doesn't help, the sound and network issues may be driver related.

The steps above are completely optional, but it's an everyday thing for me at work. They can be quite time consuming depending on the age of the computer and number of files that have to be scanned by each program. I've seen each program take as little as 10-15 minutes and as much as 2-3 hours each. Just my friendly advice.

There's a computer repair shop right next door to my office. I just took it to them, they're gonna fix it for free for me...

Thanks for the responses though; I appreciate it...

sounds good. just make sure you get those draft picks in for the fantasy baseball league. we don't need ya pulling a cappy. :P

sounds good. just make sure you get those draft picks in for the fantasy baseball league. we don't need ya pulling a cappy. :P

Or a sac.

No worries there, though... Got free reign at work and then I can use my phone when I'm at home... :D

Don't turn off your system restore. Most trojans like to embed themselves in the restore section of your computer to prevent you from wiping it that way. With system restore disabled, scanners will not scan there so it will go unscanned.

Plus, disabling system restore would leave you vulnerable in the future where you can't undo a big "whoops."

Edited by Mojo Risin