Quick experimental mock offseason

Rai

1st mock -

2nd mock -

Minor FA full explanations -

Draft projections: http://www.sidelinescouting.com/ and http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

Just want to quickly try something. I've got a nucleus of players in mind of who I want to get and want to try and experiment how I can realistically get these. With my first mock, as expected, everyone seems to be drafted in the wrong round now. With the 2nd, I admit I did rush it a little but I'm happy with some of the players I took there, especially later on. Well, here goes.

Notable players that go:

- Peterson

- Williams

- Coleman

- Lewis

- Finneran

- Snelling

- Norwood

- One of the Olineman I think will go

Youth movement, I guess. I think we currently have a strong enough locker-room for the dismisal of the veterans.

FA

Charles Johnson. Do everything, everything, to get him. If with our best efforts we can't, try for Edwards or Kiwanuka.

Minor - John Henderson. Doesn't fit 1-gap but is probably the best run-stuffer in the game.

Minor - John Greco. Devastating run blocker and very versatile.

Trade

Trade our 2nd and 6th for the Chargers' #82 and #89. This gives the Chargers 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, something I'm sure they'll love. Trade value works in their favour. Real question is though, would you take this if you were the Chargers' GM?

Trade our 1st and 5th for the Broncos' #46 and #67, giving them 3 picks in the top-36 which allows them to grab some serious talent. Trade value works in their favour. Real question is, would you take this if you were the Broncos?

Draft

2. Ryan Williams RB

Great talent to be a RB. Can split time with Turner in his first year and rest him up. Far more talented than Snelling and incase Turner goes down, Williams is the type of guy that can carry the ball up to 30x a game and get you good production from the position. Don't be surprised either if he plays better than Turner in some games when they're splitting duty. He has excellent vision to run between the tackles, good strength to break through the line of scrimmage, good change of gear to burst through into the 2nd level and enough speed to leave everyone in his trail of dust. He also has ideal hands to catch passes too which is something he has over Turner. Our future #1 back.

3. Leonard Hankerson WR

He's a receiver that plays big and has some speed which allows him to get good separation. Pretty quick as well for his size and runs routes well, going into and coming out of his breaks very crisply. He's been extremely productive too, showing improvement every year. Needs to improve concentration but I do believe he has a pair of good, not so reliable at this point, hands and shows good body control.

3. Rashad Carmichael CB

I think he's the type of player that can just come and secure the NB spot as soon as he steps in. If I'm wrong, atleast him, Franks and Owens will be an interesting 3-way fight for the NB spot. But I seriously think the kid can be a starter incase Grimes or Robinson go down.. Similar starter like McCourty or Haden this year.

3. Tyler Sash S

Listed as a strong safety but I have no doubts that he can play either well because of his instincts and intelligence. Great in coverage as he is against the run and just has a habit of making the big play when the team needs it most. What I liked about him is how much he improved throughout the year. He'll be a terrific backup and will provide good competition for Moore and DeCoud so they better make sure they're giving it 110%. I'm sure we could even run a 3-Safety rotation with the guy as some teams do and let our safeties fully rest and make impact play after impact play.

3. DeMarco Murray RB

One of the rare breeds of back that can run, catch and block. Hillis, MJD and Forte may just be the only 3 backs in the league that can do all this very well and they are all incredibly vital to their team. Murray has the same sort of potential to impact the same way these guys do and help revolutionise an offence and take it to the next level.

4. KJ Wright OLB

Ever since I seen him for the first time, I knew he was a special player with some of the best instincts in college football. Not going to repeat everything I said again so check out my 2nd mock draft and read through the thread where it turned into Herzlich v Wright. Thanks, Zodiac :P B)

6. Aldrick Robinson WR

Game-breaker type of receiver. Has some great hands and is pretty quick in his cuts and is just a great route runner. Like Hankerson, he's also been extremely productive and is also a deep-play threat. A TD threat just when he steps on the field. Will get open and shows a great desire to make the big play.

7. Adam Grant LT

Developmental prospect and to spur some competition which is what the team needs. Looks like a great pass protector.

7. Zane Taylor OC

Same as above.

Edited by Rai

to replace norwood and snelling. williams and murray will be our future backs. until then, the three of them can all spell each other or incase someone goes down with injury.

That's actually interesting. I want to slam it, but it's not bad when you think about it, as Turner has to be monitored and both Murray and willimas are dual purpose backs with speed.

The only way I could justify getting rid of both Snelling and Norwood, would be if you could get Williams and Murrey. I can't see this scenario happening though. In fact, I wouldn't be surpised if we keep both Norwood and Snelling.

Yeah, it isn't the most realistic draft. I just wanted to experiment a little with some of my favourite prospects. I could've saved it on Word or something but here on the forums, it wouldn't ever get lost which is why I posted it here. Also I could get some opinions from some of you guys. :P

Edited by Rai

2 RBs and 2 WRs yet no other DE? Yes although we address DE in FA I think we need to add 2 DEs to replace Chauncey and JA98. Also, I think we let Trey Lewis walk as well. That would give us 3 open spots on the line for Sid, the FA, and rookie to go along with Abe and Biermann.

Not too sure if we need another DE right now unless we take one high. Abraham and Johnson will both be the starting ends. If what I've read is true, Sidbury will hopefully impact some at RDE and Biermann can sub in on either side. That seems like a pretty solid pass-rushing pair. JA98 is a great run stuffer that can play on running downs. If anyone goes, it'll probably be Chauncey Davis based on play. I thought about adding Ricky Elmore as a later guy but I wondered just how much time he would be getting on the field. Henderson will also help us out immensely in the run game at DT.

If we sign Johnson, we have our LDE of the future. In the future, we will need a true franchise RDE and there aren't many RDE in this draft, especially where we'll be picking. That's why I didn't select one there. I honestly don't think Sidbury or Biermann will be it though but I'd willing to allow themselves to prove to us what they've got and what they're capable of. Maybe there'll be a larger pool of speed demons next year and that is when we select one high. I did consider Justin Houston pretty hard though.

Not too sure if we need another DE right now unless we take one high. Abraham and Johnson will both be the starting ends. If what I've read is true, Sidbury will hopefully impact some at RDE and Biermann can sub in on either side. That seems like a pretty solid pass-rushing pair. JA98 is a great run stuffer that can play on running downs. If anyone goes, it'll probably be Chauncey Davis based on play. I thought about adding Ricky Elmore as a later guy but I wondered just how much time he would be getting on the field. Henderson will also help us out immensely in the run game at DT.

If we sign Johnson, we have our LDE of the future. In the future, we will need a true franchise RDE and there aren't many RDE in this draft, especially where we'll be picking. That's why I didn't select one there. I honestly don't think Sidbury or Biermann will be it though but I'd willing to allow themselves to prove to us what they've got and what they're capable of. Maybe there'll be a larger pool of speed demons next year and that is when we select one high. I did consider Justin Houston pretty hard though.

That is why I suggest a mid round DE. We can sit him like we are doing Sid. We have 5 DEs right now so it wouldn't be any different. Pierre Allen makes a lot of sense because he can play LE, he just needs some refining. JA98 is too expensive to not produce sacks. If he was making Biermann money then I would be for keeping him. Plus, I don't see us adding another DT. We have 4 under 30 DTs: Babs, Peters, Jerry, Walker. If we didn't get Henderson the last go round why do you think we get him this time?

I don't see the point of taking a late round DE. Usually these guys don't have the athleticism you want in a starting DE, especially a RE which we need. Johnson is only 24 so he'd be able to give us plenty of years at that spot and after leading the league in QB disruptions and stuff/stops in just his first year starting, I think he can give us some elite production for a long while. Biermann is a good rotational player that can play on the strongside or weakside. I don't think we cut JA98. Abraham/Johnson/Sidbury/Biermann/Anderson is a good enough rotation imo. Just this year, we only used Abraham/Biermann/Anderson/Davis.

And on getting Henderson - If you can get someone for relatively cheap that will have a good, positive effect on your D, why not? He's taking over Lewis' spot here. He'll help our rush D big time. This will help freshen the rotation somewhat, especially against the pass as Lewis was dead weight last year.

This is really way too offensive of a draft. We're still needed players & playmakers on defense so that we can open up the offense that we have now. Plus, this draft doesn't address probably our biggest offensive need, which is a starting LT. It's fun to have the fantasy draft that might win you a fantasy football league, but really not a practical at all.

I guess you could just say I did this to highlight the lesser known players in the draft that I think can make a good impact in the NFL. 6 of them have already been in one of my previous mock drafts. But you know, I like recording these down and in 3 years, maybe I'll look back and see whether my prediction was right or not. Was really the only purpose of the topic, but as I said before.. It isn't very realistic but these players I do really like.