Erik Coleman cut by Falcons

falconfan4lyfe

I think he will. He's good enough to start. If Chris Crocker and Lawyer Milloy are starting somewhere, then EC can start.

I bet he asked to be released, because the writing was on the wall, Decoud and Moore are the starters and he can go to a bunch of teams needing a starting safety, and also opens a spot for us to get a rookie or pick one up. Preferably a rookie. ;)

Unless Coleman wanted to start or go somewhere else, this is the first of many poor off-season moves for our team. So who's our depth player after DeCoud and Moore? What if Moore hurts his knee? We don't even have a legitimate backup now.

Poor move? Keep paying Coleman who is a back up, starter salary? I am not happy to see him go, but we have to spend our money wisely in the off season.

I agree, hopefully we can find a solid back up and also upgrade in other areas as well.

What do you guys think is the priority on D? DE, CB, LB?

DL. With Abraham getting up there in age, we still don't have a disruptive force on the line besides Babineaux. But he's an interior linemen so we can't expect him to get the majority of the sacks. The Falcons were 21st I believe in sacks. The the top two teams in sacks were the Steelers and Packers. Wonder how they got to the Superbowl...

We should bring in Seymour as a veteran presence at DT to start with Babineaux and try to either sign a FA DE like Charles Johnson or draft two speed rushers in the 2nd/3rd round. Yes we may end up with more 'project' players like Sidbury but we can never have enough pass rushers. I don't think there are any can't miss DEs in this draft and if there are our draft pick won't be able to get them.

Edited by Mr. Right

I bet he asked to be released, because the writing was on the wall, Decoud and Moore are the starters and he can go to a bunch of teams needing a starting safety, and also opens a spot for us to get a rookie or pick one up. Preferably a rookie. ;)

Wouldn't it be smarter to have traded him.

Canfora is obviously throwing out offseason fat to chew on but it doesn't make sense to consider cutting a player based on salary when it is not known what the salary cap will be, if there will be a salary cap at all, or if the NFL will even continue after the draft.

I think the smart move would be to trade him for picks assuming the current rules exist in the future. If Charlie Peprah can start for the Packers in the Superbowl then Coleman would definitely be of some interest to a team.

In the end it's a good problem to have. I'm just not sure of the depth behind DeCoud who seemed to be a bit off this year and Moore who just stepped up as DeCoud did the year before. Sounds a little shaky but I'll take that bet as long as there is adequate depth.