Les Snead talking about Sidbury

hawkeye

After re-watching the video I believe we may have found the right

guy to replace Abe. I feel better now that we are bringing him

around slowly and letting him develop behind Abe. It's interesting

how he said we first noticed him. But they said coming out that

he had 2nd rd talent and it seems as tho he MAY have helped Sebastian Vollmer get drafted in the 2nd rd by the Pats instead of the 4-5 rd b/c he did a good job on Sid one on one at the Shrine game. So Sid

must have been highly thought of but I'm glad we got him in the 4th.

I still can't believe people think we have a replacement that we're just hiding for now. The guy hardly even got active on the roster last season, and it's not like Biermann, Davis, and Anderson solidified themselves.

The guy isn't panning out and unless he starts practicing hard or whatever he isn't doing, he isn't going to be around long

I still can't believe people think we have a replacement that we're just hiding for now. The guy hardly even got active on the roster last season, and it's not like Biermann, Davis, and Anderson solidified themselves.

The guy isn't panning out and unless he starts practicing hard or whatever he isn't doing, he isn't going to be around long

So when a first round quarterback sits for a couple of years to learn the game it's considered routine, but when a fourth round defensive end sits to learn it's blasphemy? He's young, inexperienced, and raw. He's highly intelligent and can take in the mental game before the physical, a lot like Aaron Rodgers. He was the fastest defensive end in the draft and came from a small school. It'd be unrealistic to expect him to compete at a Pro Bowl level in his first two seasons.

It'd be unrealistic to expect him to compete at a Pro Bowl level in his first two seasons.

True, but I agree with him somewhat. So yeah, they may be grooming Sid. But he hasn't shown anything, and wasn't even active. So he may be grooming, but if he was going to be a game changer like an abe, he would have shown us at least something by now. he will just be a normal 4th round DE imo and I hope I am wrong.

So when a first round quarterback sits for a couple of years to learn the game it's considered routine, but when a fourth round defensive end sits to learn it's blasphemy? He's young, inexperienced, and raw. He's highly intelligent and can take in the mental game before the physical, a lot like Aaron Rodgers. He was the fastest defensive end in the draft and came from a small school. It'd be unrealistic to expect him to compete at a Pro Bowl level in his first two seasons.

You have use 4-5 QB's per game either like you do DE's. That's why they sit. Biermann, Davis, and Anderson were far from Pro bowl level players themselves this year, Sidbury would've been playing if he showed anything

Edited by Dharma Initiative

Guest atl.falcon4ever

After re-watching the video I believe we may have found the right

guy to replace Abe. I feel better now that we are bringing him

around slowly and letting him develop behind Abe. It's interesting

how he said we first noticed him. But they said coming out that

he had 2nd rd talent and it seems as tho he MAY have helped Sebastian Vollmer get drafted in the 2nd rd by the Pats instead of the 4-5 rd b/c he did a good job on Sid one on one at the Shrine game. So Sid

must have been highly thought of but I'm glad we got him in the 4th.

Good post, I was wondering about Sidbury, but if you are a regular on this board and read post, he looks hopeful and that is good news. We got him as a later round pick, so if he does not work out, it will not set us back, all he can do is help us.

Dimitroff recently said they are fine with his progression and I am not quoting him exactly, but that this year we would see Sidbury as well as Harry Douglas a lot more involved in our games. So we will see what this kid can do this year. I really feel that D.E. is a position on defense just like Q.B. is on offense that most players can not step right into and be effective. They have to be brought around. There is always an exception to that rule.

We got Sidbury in the 4th round and if the coach's and staff like his progression then that is good news. If they did not see potential in him they would have already cut him. Do not be surprised if this guy turns out to be something special. Just reserve judgment at least until he has had his chance at least.

Chevis Jackson was drafted in the 3rd round in 2008. And was a high 3rd round pick at that, what was he like the 3rd one to go in the 3rd round? The Falcons did not like what they saw, and cut ties with him.

With Sidbury being a 4th round pick and still being on the team whether he has been playing in the games are not. And the fact JA55 has took him under his wing and is mentoring him gets me excited to say the least at just the hope, we might have something special. If the Falcons were willing to cut ties with a high 3rd pick, if they really did not see a lot of potential in this guy, they would not hesitate to cut him. They have shown this.

Now at the same time he could never be anything more than a backup and the Falcons could be wrong. Chevis Jackson also could go on to be a multiple year end Pro Bowler. We do not no. But the fact he is still here, JA55 believes in him and so does the Falcons as a whole is great news to say the least. JA55 should no what it takes to be a great D.E. & if he is mentoring Sidbury & believes in him, surely we as Falcon fans should be excited and hopeful at the very least.

This is why I want to hire Chuck Smith. We need someone to come in and develop young players. This is the NFL... everybody's talented but not everybody turns into a good player.

Sidbury needs help to learn how to become a pass rusher in the NFL and Chuck Smith could help him so long as he truly wants to learn.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

This is why I want to hire Chuck Smith. We need someone to come in and develop young players. This is the NFL... everybody's talented't but not everybody turns into a good player.

Sidbury needs help to learn how to become a pass rusher in the NFL and Chuck Smith could help him so long as he truly wants to learn.

Not disagreeing with you, but why Chuck Smith of all people. Just curious to why you are so high on him that's all. You might be right, just would like to hear more about why along with the who if you no what I mean.

He fits the bill for a good defensive end with experience that might could help us, and he lives in Atlanta. Played all but his last year with us. I read his bio on Wikipedia, which I left a link for everyone else.I mean I would love to see a ex long time Falcon come in that even lives here in Atlanta. What position as a coach would you give him. And do we have room on our staff without letting someone else go, etc.? I am sure he would except the offer if we extended him one.To coach were you currently live and were born, and played most of your career for. Who wouldn't except that offer?

That's because you don't rotate QBs but every team rotates DL.

I think some of these arguments don't hold up. Its simple.

We need a pass rushing DE. It isn't like we have anyone other than Abe. So we aren't hiding this guy. If our coaching staff thought he had earned a shot, he would have already gotten it. Right?

He may get 25 sacks next year and I hope he does, but up to this point there is very little to indicate we are going to have a starter out of Sid.

Not disagreeing with you, but why Chuck Smith of all people. Just curious to why you are so high on him that's all. You might be right, just would like to hear more about why along with the who if you no what I mean.

He fits the bill for a good defensive end with experience that might could help us, and he lives in Atlanta. Played all but his last year with us. I read his bio on Wikipedia, which I left a link for everyone else.I mean I would love to see a ex long time Falcon come in that even lives here in Atlanta. What position as a coach would you give him. And do we have room on our staff without letting someone else go, etc.? I am sure he would except the offer if we extended him one.To coach were you currently live and were born, and played most of your career for. Who wouldn't except that offer?

He trains the best D-Linemans during the offseason... Guys like Osi, Tuck,Patrick Kerney (WHEN HE PLAYED),Seymour, and Haynesworth has said Chuck Smith training helps them out big time.

But yea back to the subject... I remember Chuck Smith being really high on Peria Jerry and Sidbury when we drafted them... The D-Line training company he worked for asked him to recruit Peria and Sid to be in their combine training group... He said after looking at tape on them... He loved what he saw...

Guest atl.falcon4ever

He trains the best D-Linemans during the offseason... Guys like Osi, Tuck,Patrick Kerney (WHEN HE PLAYED),Seymour, and Haynesworth has said Chuck Smith training helps them out big time.

But yea back to the subject... I remember Chuck Smith being really high on Peria Jerry and Sidbury when we drafted them... The D-Line training company he worked for asked him to recruit Peria and Sid to be in their combine training group... He said after looking at tape on them... He loved what he saw...

OK, he lives in Atlanta, he played his entire career here except his last year, and has helped some of the best get better. I am sold on him. So my question is if this is the case and he can help make players like the ones mentioned above better, then why are the Falcons not sold on him enough to give him a job? Doesn't seem like it could hurt us, but only make us better. Not going to break the bank either. He doesn't even have to move to take the job. No brain er imo.

Do you think maybe he likes what he is doing and has no interest in coming here? I mean with praises from guys like you mentioned and him living in the Falcons backyard, makes no since not to hire this guy full time and have him only making our defensive linemen better, rather than everyone else.

Im holding out hope for Sid, considering he has the physical ability...but the guy doesnt get on the field for a reason.

Even if its his lone inability to play spec teams, then he needs to man the eff up...plenty of starters, let alone backups play spec teams.

If its because the coaches think Anderson and Davis bring more to the table than Sid...well then thats just scary, because neither have been consistent defensive contributors throughout their career.

Davis will have a play or two every season, and Jam doesnt look awful anymore, but thats about it.

OK, he lives in Atlanta, he played his entire career here except his last year, and has helped some of the best get better. I am sold on him. So my question is if this is the case and he can help make players like the ones mentioned above better, then why are the Falcons not sold on him enough to give him a job? Doesn't seem like it could hurt us, but only make us better. Not going to break the bank either. He doesn't even have to move to take the job. No brain er imo.

Do you think maybe he likes what he is doing and has no interest in coming here? I mean with praises from guys like you mentioned and him living in the Falcons backyard, makes no since not to hire this guy full time and have him only making our defensive linemen better, rather than everyone else.

Here's an article that ESPN did on him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeff&id=3290984

As for why the Falcons don't hire him... that's a good question because the Jets hired him in Rex Ryan's first year there. They brought in Chuck to help with the pass rush during training camp and liked what they saw enough to ask him to stay.

All I know is we need serious help in developing our pass rushers and Chuck Smith seems to be able to do just that.

The evidence doesn't support the bolded assertion, which not coincidentally, is one reason he hasn't seen the field lately.

Player development and what it takes to play at this level escapes many fans who seek instant gratfication and if they don't get it their oly answer is to bash the player and demand he be cut.

Many of these same fans think where you were drafted is necessarilly how a player should develop....they just dont understand the game at this level. Howvere, I'm certain many are all world fantasy football owners.

Look how long it took Grimes and Roddy to develop. Regardless of drafted or not, it simply takes some players time to learn the little things that can make tem go fro mediocre to good.

I imagine he probably makes more in less time without the stress of the season. I doubt Chuck would be interested. He trains the top notch players for 3 months in the offseason and probably makes a lot more money doing it than team trainers. Plus, he's the boss and runs his own show. Why would anyone give that up?

I do think Sid should sign up for the camp, but the team is restricted on what they can do.

Yes because their are TWO defensive ends playing and ONE quarterback playing