2012 Recruit Spotlight

Next up is a returning state champion.

helped lead Brookwood to the AAAAA state championship from his RB position. Nick ran for 1890 yards and 22 TD's with an average per carry of over 8 yards while also excelling on defense and special teams. He makes good and quick cuts. However, I feel that he often overuses this ability at the end of some runs. As a coach, I would like to see him finish runs strong by attempting to go through the defender instead of eluding him altogether. That said, there is no denying his acceleration when he gets into space. If Tompkins gets 1 step into the clear, he's to full speed immediately and is gone for 6. He currently holds double digit offers and judging by the schools that have offered, he is obviously a very bright young man. Somebody will be getting a steal with this young man.

helped lead Brookwood to the AAAAA state championship from his RB position. Nick ran for 1890 yards and 22 TD's with an average per carry of over 8 yards while also excelling on defense and special teams. He makes good and quick cuts. However, I feel that he often overuses this ability at the end of some runs. As a coach, I would like to see him finish runs strong by attempting to go through the defender instead of eluding him altogether. That said, there is no denying his acceleration when he gets into space. If Tompkins gets 1 step into the clear, he's to full speed immediately and is gone for 6. He currently holds double digit offers and judging by the schools that have offered, he is obviously a very bright young man. Somebody will be getting a steal with this young man.

This kid is a friend of my cousin's family. Saw him play in the Dome last year. He's gonna be a productive back wherever he goes.

I saw him play a few times on TV, good looking player.

Edited by aPureTerror

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to Nick on his commitment to play at Michigan State!

• 3 weeks later...

Next up is another one of my own. I'll start off by saying that this young man will not be playing D1 football anywhere anytime soon. Grades and size will likely send him undoubtedly to the JUCO ranks. I am choosing to profile him however because this little booger is a playmaker.

is 5'6" 145 pounds soaking wet and a DB's worst nightmare. Playing in a Cook High offense that includes D1 recruit Travin Henry and 2 WR's that just signed with a D2 powerhouse, Brown is the go-to-guy. It's fitting too that despite his size, he's full of athletic ability. Devontae is the cousin of recent GMC transfer Shannon Brown and former Missouri captain Cornelius "Pig" Brown (My AFMB namesake) Given his small stature, Devontae often winds up being covered by the opposing teams smaller and less talented DB's. By the time they realize their error in judgement, its alrady too late. With the leaping ability of recievers 6 inches taller, great speed with an incredible burst, and the type of fearlessness that only comes with the runt of a large family, Brown will be a great find for some lucky JUCO looking to take a chance.

It's been a while since I've done a spotlight, so I'll give you a bonus second profile today. With this one, I'll take you out of the state of Georgia for the first time. This player has somehow went under the radar so far.

is a top WR out of the state of Louisiana. In fact, Laird is the nation's top returning WR in terms of yards gained through the air from last season. Mark had 49 more yards and 2 more TD's on the same number of catches than one Dorial Green-Beckham to be exact. Laird tallied 1,755 yards recieving and 17 toughdowns on 78 receptions and finished the season being named MVP of the Louisiana 2A state championship game in a losing effort. While the level of competition can be questioned, the stats can't be denied. This guy is good. I'm going to label Laird as the "White Keyshawn Johnson" because the longer I watch his film, the more I realize that he's always open, and if thats the case then QB "Just throw Mark the **** ball!"

It's been a while since I've done a spotlight, so I'll give you a bonus second profile today. With this one, I'll take you out of the state of Georgia for the first time. This player has somehow went under the radar so far.

is a top WR out of the state of Louisiana. In fact, Laird is the nation's top returning WR in terms of yards gained through the air from last season. Mark had 49 more yards and 2 more TD's on the same number of catches than one Dorial Green-Beckham to be exact. Laird tallied 1,755 yards recieving and 17 toughdowns on 78 receptions and finished the season being named MVP of the Louisiana 2A state championship game in a losing effort. While the level of competition can be questioned, the stats can't be denied. This guy is good. I'm going to label Laird as the "White Keyshawn Johnson" because the longer I watch his film, the more I realize that he's always open, and if thats the case then QB "Just throw Mark the **** ball!"

Always think that a kid in high school that is a good route runner, becomes one on the collegiate level. People will remember AJ for his amazing catches, but his route running was superb.

Saw one part the film where Mark was on a cut route to the outside, he broke the corner's ankles on that one :D

2 star that everyone in 5 years says, "wow how did we miss that one, he was drafted!"

Any idea in your research as to where he might land? and thanks.

Edited by crap sandwich

Next up is another one of my own. I'll start off by saying that this young man will not be playing D1 football anywhere anytime soon. Grades and size will likely send him undoubtedly to the JUCO ranks. I am choosing to profile him however because this little booger is a playmaker.

is 5'6" 145 pounds soaking wet and a DB's worst nightmare. Playing in a Cook High offense that includes D1 recruit Travin Henry and 2 WR's that just signed with a D2 powerhouse, Brown is the go-to-guy. It's fitting too that despite his size, he's full of athletic ability. Devontae is the cousin of recent GMC transfer Shannon Brown and former Missouri captain Cornelius "Pig" Brown (My AFMB namesake) Given his small stature, Devontae often winds up being covered by the opposing teams smaller and less talented DB's. By the time they realize their error in judgement, its alrady too late. With the leaping ability of recievers 6 inches taller, great speed with an incredible burst, and the type of fearlessness that only comes with the runt of a large family, Brown will be a great find for some lucky JUCO looking to take a chance.

He is the "X" factor, the "it" guy. Man how lucky to coach a kid like this, maximum effort on every part of his film. Game changer!

Does he have the "Bubble" screen down or what, great patience for his blockers to sneak behind. Just does it all.

Great JUCO prospect, likely D2 after, but he will excel. I am going to send this film to a coaching friend of mine at South Carolina State. This young man would appeal to him.

As usual thank you.

Forgot to mention, maybe a few other schools around here as well, know Charleston Southern and Coastal might like this film as well.

Toughness must run in the family.

Forgot to ask you...how did Travin do at DN, and is an offer coming IYO.

Edited by crap sandwich

So are Shannon and Pig brothers?

Always think that a kid in high school that is a good route runner, becomes one on the collegiate level. People will remember AJ for his amazing catches, but his route running was superb.

Saw one part the film where Mark was on a cut route to the outside, he broke the corner's ankles on that one :D

2 star that everyone in 5 years says, "wow how did we miss that one, he was drafted!"

Any idea in your research as to where he might land? and thanks.

To my knowledge he has no offers right now. Hes right in the backyard of ULM, so you gotta think they have a good chance with an offer. If not he's going to make some FCS or D2 school really happy.

Forgot to mention, maybe a few other schools around here as well, know Charleston Southern and Coastal might like this film as well.

Toughness must run in the family.

Forgot to ask you...how did Travin do at DN, and is an offer coming IYO.

Travin did well. Right now the coaches are waiting on film from the early games this fall. They want to make sure that what they have seen in Athens will translate to the film. His film from last season has been the holdup for him so far and rightfully so as he would take plays off. His effort has been tremendously better so far this offseason and if he continues with that into this fall, my feeling is that an offer will be on the way.