2012 Recruit Spotlight

First off I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoy reading everything each of you contribute to this forum. I don't post very often, but I try to make it around as often as possible to keep up with yall. Sometimes we all get caught up in this recruiting and tend to forget that these are teenagers. Whether they pick our respective favorite team or go with the rival, whether they play the recruiting game or declare right away and cancel all other visits, and whether they are full of themselves or seem to be the greatest kid ever, we must remember that these are just kids playing the greatest game of all time. Bashing them should never be an option. Besides, I don't think there is a one of us who wouldn't quickly trade places with any of them.

All that aside, it is sometimes difficult to keep up with all the names, abilities, and accomplishments of the recruits that come across this board. It is my hope that this thread can be a place to introduce the board to the top talent the class of 2012 has to offer both in state and on a national level, whether the recruit is at the top of his position in the country or is just the local standout hoping for that first D-1 offer to come in.

I'd like to start this off with one of my own. I'd like to present to you 2012 QB Zach Folsom of Cook High School in Adel, Ga. Zach doesn't have the measurables that the major D-1 Schools look for, but talk about the intangibles. This kid has got It. An incredibly smart young man that is a coach on the field. That is an absolute must when it comes to a successful team. Hard work and great leadership ability are also great qualities he brings to the table. Take a look and feel free to comment or add your own 2012 recruit.

Today I'd like to introduce you another QB prospect. Kaleb Nobles is the QB for the Fitzgerald Purple Hurricanes. Kaleb came on for the injured Brad Taylor for Fitzgerald in the region title game as a Freshman and hasn't been back to the sideline since. His coaches knew he could succeed long before then. Before he even took his first class as a Freshman at FHS, Kaleb took home top honors in the underclassmen division at the Mike Hodges QB/Receiver camp. At 5'10" he doesn't have ideal size for a major college QB, but he has the technique down and has a rocket of an arm. This past summer at the Hodges camp he was favored to take home top honors in the upperclassmen division, but pulled out of the competition because he was due to be on the campus of Clemson that day. It was a trip well worth the time as Kaleb walked away with an offer to come play for the Tigers.

Today I'd like to introduce you another QB prospect. Kaleb Nobles is the QB for the Fitzgerald Purple Hurricanes. Kaleb came on for the injured Brad Taylor for Fitzgerald in the region title game as a Freshman and hasn't been back to the sideline since. His coaches knew he could succeed long before then. Before he even took his first class as a Freshman at FHS, Kaleb took home top honors in the underclassmen division at the Mike Hodges QB/Receiver camp. At 5'10" he doesn't have ideal size for a major college QB, but he has the technique down and has a rocket of an arm. This past summer at the Hodges camp he was favored to take home top honors in the upperclassmen division, but pulled out of the competition because he was due to be on the campus of Clemson that day. It was a trip well worth the time as Kaleb walked away with an offer to come play for the Tigers.

I'm from Coffee and have plenty of family over in Fitzgerald. My cousin has told me a lot about this kid. I hear he has great speed and intangibles as a player,supposedly he is a heavy Clemson lean due to his Dad having some connections to their program. Great athlete but way to short to play in a BCS conference. Hope he succeeds where every he goes though. I love seeing these south GA boys get recognized.

I really like the #4 kid. I'd appreciate it if someone could provide his info, the kid looks like a heck of a ballplayer.

Oddly enough the highlights of both QB's spotlighted feature a receiver wearing #4 so I'm not sure which one you are talking about. #4 for Cook in the Folsom highlights is

. #4 for Fitzgerald in the Noble's highlights is Darreall Joyner. Sorry, I can't find any highlights on Joyner, but he is a heckova player.

Oddly enough the highlights of both QB's spotlighted feature a receiver wearing #4 so I'm not sure which one you are talking about. #4 for Cook in the Folsom highlights is

. #4 for Fitzgerald in the Noble's highlights is Darreall Joyner. Sorry, I can't find any highlights on Joyner, but he is a heckova player.

Thanks for that. I looked at Noble's highlights first and Darreall Joyner is who I was talking about. The kid does look like a good one.

I then checked out Folsom's highlights and Pettiford looks really good as well. I'm loving the size and speed on the kid.

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I looked at Noble's highlights first and Darreall Joyner is who I was talking about. The kid does look like a good one.

I then checked out Folsom's highlights and Pettiford looks really good as well. I'm loving the size and speed on the kid.

Thanks for sharing.

Pettiford is a late bloomer so to speak. He was quite the golfer, yes golfer, but decided to give it up in order to focus on football for his senior season. It was a very good investment on his part as it propelled him to a great senior season and a scholarship to play at VSU next fall.

I've been busy the past week or so, sorry for not adding anything lately.

With UGA appearing to lose out on Drake and Jones, many are asking who could be a potential in-state guy to look at. I have no idea if the Dawgs have any interest, but I present to you

Georgia's high school leading rusher for the 2010 season. Marteze was selected as a first team all state RB (maybe you've heard of the other RB chosen as a first teamer in AA, Isaiah Crowell)He's in good company there. Waller rushed for 2,155 yards and 19 TD's during the 2010 regular season. Not too shabby. The competition he played against wasn't the best and he doesn't possess elite speed, but make no mistake about it, this kid can play. Putnam County has had some solid teams in the past, but you have to go back to the early to mid 70's to find the last time they were relevant on any kind of consistent level. Waller has brought them back almost on his own. I haven't seen Waller play in person, but a coach whom I trust that has coached against him says that he is the real deal and you must have him accounted for and even if you do chances are he's gonna beat you anyway.

First off I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoy reading everything each of you contribute to this forum. I don't post very often, but I try to make it around as often as possible to keep up with yall. Sometimes we all get caught up in this recruiting and tend to forget that these are teenagers. Whether they pick our respective favorite team or go with the rival, whether they play the recruiting game or declare right away and cancel all other visits, and whether they are full of themselves or seem to be the greatest kid ever, we must remember that these are just kids playing the greatest game of all time. Bashing them should never be an option. Besides, I don't think there is a one of us who wouldn't quickly trade places with any of them.

All that aside, it is sometimes difficult to keep up with all the names, abilities, and accomplishments of the recruits that come across this board. It is my hope that this thread can be a place to introduce the board to the top talent the class of 2012 has to offer both in state and on a national level, whether the recruit is at the top of his position in the country or is just the local standout hoping for that first D-1 offer to come in.

I'd like to start this off with one of my own. I'd like to present to you 2012 QB Zach Folsom of Cook High School in Adel, Ga. Zach doesn't have the measurables that the major D-1 Schools look for, but talk about the intangibles. This kid has got It. An incredibly smart young man that is a coach on the field. That is an absolute must when it comes to a successful team. Hard work and great leadership ability are also great qualities he brings to the table. Take a look and feel free to comment or add your own 2012 recruit.

He is obviously a great decision maker. Seems to be accurate passer as well. Not the strongest arm, though. At 1:25 he makes a good pass between two defenders. At 2:30 he displays pretty good foot work. Great find!

ESPN posted a pretty good article on Keith Marshall. Great student, great athlete... hope he's bound for Athens.

There aren't too many prospects who carry a weighted grade point average of 4.3 and run that number in the 40-yard dash, but ESPNU 150 Watch List RB Keith Marshall fits the bill.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pounder from Millbrook High School in Raleigh, N.C., is only 16 years old and already has close to 20 scholarship offers, including Duke, North Carolina, Georgia, USC, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Florida.

"UNC was the first school to offer, after my fourth game of my sophomore season," Marshall said. "It was very exciting because when they invited me to a game the last thing I was expecting was to get an offer that early. There are some schools that are beginning to stick out, but I'm still looking at most of the schools that have offered."

Last season, as a junior, Marshall rushed for over 1,500 yards and 17 touchdowns.

"Keith is without a doubt one of best backs in the country," said Millbrook coach Clarence Inscore. "There are not too many better. What separates him from everyone else is his work ethic on the field, in the classroom, and during the offseason. He always wants that edge. Keith has this internal drive and wants to be the best. Keith is just a great competitor that makes others better around him."

While Marshall was timed at 4.25 in the 40 at UNC's camp, he also runs with power, balance and vision -- which is a big reason he has already been named to the 2012 Under Armour All-America Game.

"I'm honored to be one of the few players invited to the Under Armour All-America Game and I look forward to competing with some of the best high school players in America," said Marshall.

"He's the fastest player I have ever coached," said Inscore. "I mean he can run over you, by you or around you. He has great feet and makes great cuts and moves. He's the total package. He has great instincts and feel for the position."

As good and competitve as Marshall is on the field, he is just as driven in the classroom, and playing on Sundays in the future isn't his only goal.

"I'm very competitive, so I don't like losing to anybody in anything. I work hard because I understand that I've been blessed with some athletic and academic abilities that not everyone has, so I try to make the most out of the opportunities I've been given," said Marshall. "My dream is to play in the NFL. I'd also like to run my own business and be a coach one day."

Marshall has already visited Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Clemson, Duke and NC State.

"When I go to the schools, I try to get a feel for how the coaches and the players interact," said Marshall. "Normally I meet with the coaches and talk to some people from academics. I also want to see how the players get along with each other and the different personalities of the coaches. I would also like to play as early as possible."

Marshall plans to graduate a semester early from high school and enroll in college for spring practice.

"I'm not sure when I'm going to make a decision but it would have to be before national signing day," said Marshall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6127461

It's about time for some defensive players to be spotlighted, so I'll lead off with one of my favorites.

You want a hard nosed guy on your defense? How about a high motor player? A leader? Someone who can pack a punch and do all this against the best of the best? Maybe you should be looking into

. Alex finds his way to the ball. Period. Where the ball is, there he is also. Check out the numbers. 91 tackles, 83 assists, 24 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 picks, and 2 TD's on his way to numerous accolades including All-State and GACA North Defensive player of the year. Alex is a standout amongst standout players on his Calhoun team that finished 14-1 with their lone loss coming in OT against Buford in the championship. He was the leader of the group that shut down Crowell and his Carver team. Fortunately for Calhoun, they get Alex back for one more season.

It's about time for some defensive players to be spotlighted, so I'll lead off with one of my favorites.

You want a hard nosed guy on your defense? How about a high motor player? A leader? Someone who can pack a punch and do all this against the best of the best? Maybe you should be looking into

. Alex finds his way to the ball. Period. Where the ball is, there he is also. Check out the numbers. 91 tackles, 83 assists, 24 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 picks, and 2 TD's on his way to numerous accolades including All-State and GACA North Defensive player of the year. Alex is a standout amongst standout players on his Calhoun team that finished 14-1 with their lone loss coming in OT against Buford in the championship. He was the leader of the group that shut down Crowell and his Carver team. Fortunately for Calhoun, they get Alex back for one more season.

wow, great LB

he strikes the ball carrier and plays very similarly to Rennie

how much interest is he getting?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy the past week or so, sorry for not adding anything lately.

With UGA appearing to lose out on Drake and Jones, many are asking who could be a potential in-state guy to look at. I have no idea if the Dawgs have any interest, but I present to you

Georgia's high school leading rusher for the 2010 season. Marteze was selected as a first team all state RB (maybe you've heard of the other RB chosen as a first teamer in AA, Isaiah Crowell)He's in good company there. Waller rushed for 2,155 yards and 19 TD's during the 2010 regular season. Not too shabby. The competition he played against wasn't the best and he doesn't possess elite speed, but make no mistake about it, this kid can play. Putnam County has had some solid teams in the past, but you have to go back to the early to mid 70's to find the last time they were relevant on any kind of consistent level. Waller has brought them back almost on his own. I haven't seen Waller play in person, but a coach whom I trust that has coached against him says that he is the real deal and you must have him accounted for and even if you do chances are he's gonna beat you anyway.

I like this guy actually. I think he is definitely being overlooked by a lot of recruiting guys right now in favor of some others like Taylor and Cross who I think Waller is better than.

Pretty sure we want 2 RBs in this class, Marshall and a backup. I expect that is probably D.J. Goodman right now, but I am not sure I wouldn't prefer Marteze. He looks a little faster, a little bigger, and a little more powerful of a runner than Goodman.

I like this guy actually. I think he is definitely being overlooked by a lot of recruiting guys right now in favor of some others like Taylor and Cross who I think Waller is better than.

Pretty sure we want 2 RBs in this class, Marshall and a backup. I expect that is probably D.J. Goodman right now, but I am not sure I wouldn't prefer Marteze. He looks a little faster, a little bigger, and a little more powerful of a runner than Goodman.

I haven't seen Waller in person, but from everything I've heard he's a very good player. Maybe some school will pick up on him soon.

Next up is

, a DB prospect out of Fairburn, GA and Creekside High. Josh reports at 5'10" 180 lbs but check the highlights and you'll see a player who uses his reach to make the plays of a guy that's 4-6 inches taller. He makes his way to the ball quickly and looks as if he's practiced the tip drill since he could walk. If the ball is in his area, then he's got a good a shot at it. He displays good footwork and follows blockers well to the endzone. Add in a 3.2 GPA and he should have no problem qualifying and would be a nice addition to a college roster.

• 1 month later...

Next up is

, a DB prospect out of Fairburn, GA and Creekside High. Josh reports at 5'10" 180 lbs but check the highlights and you'll see a player who uses his reach to make the plays of a guy that's 4-6 inches taller. He makes his way to the ball quickly and looks as if he's practiced the tip drill since he could walk. If the ball is in his area, then he's got a good a shot at it. He displays good footwork and follows blockers well to the endzone. Add in a 3.2 GPA and he should have no problem qualifying and would be a nice addition to a college roster.

Pretty solid film.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys sorry for the long delay in adding to this. Maybe I can start doing this regularly again now that school is out for summer. I'll start back up with another one of my own. Today I introduce to you

. Travin is 6'4" 215lbs running a 4.48 in the 40 and boasts a 335 pound power clean. On the football field he has been a standout at DE but will see action this fall at WR as well. The icing on the cake is that he is a straight A student and is one of the most respectful young men I've known personally in my life, athlete or not. He really is a do it all type kid. His skill set and academics will allow him to pick and choose where he wants to go. Several schools across the nation are starting to pile into the halls of Cook High School to visit from the FCS ranks to the SEC, ACC, and PAC 12, some wanting him to play WR, others want him at DE, and others still at OLB. One thing is for sure, no matter what school he winds up at and what position he plays, Travin Henry will do the people of Cook County proud and continue to be an excellent citizen for his future college town.

Ok guys sorry for the long delay in adding to this. Maybe I can start doing this regularly again now that school is out for summer. I'll start back up with another one of my own. Today I introduce to you

. Travin is 6'4" 215lbs running a 4.48 in the 40 and boasts a 335 pound power clean. On the football field he has been a standout at DE but will see action this fall at WR as well. The icing on the cake is that he is a straight A student and is one of the most respectful young men I've known personally in my life, athlete or not. He really is a do it all type kid. His skill set and academics will allow him to pick and choose where he wants to go. Several schools across the nation are starting to pile into the halls of Cook High School to visit from the FCS ranks to the SEC, ACC, and PAC 12, some wanting him to play WR, others want him at DE, and others still at OLB. One thing is for sure, no matter what school he winds up at and what position he plays, Travin Henry will do the people of Cook County proud and continue to be an excellent citizen for his future college town.

Sounds like a great young man.

• 2 weeks later...

Next up is

Congrats to Holsey on his recent commitment to Auburn!