Our New OC

skynyrd04

I hear people say there are limited choices to fill an OC vacancy. If Mularkey goes to the Titans, here are the possibilities I see for our OC job:

Brad Childress - You know that list of guys who are better OC's than HC's? Chilly's in that line. Runs a run-heavy west coast offense. But isnt' afraid to take a shot downfeild.

Bill Callahan - O line coach for the Jets, so he brings some attitude. People forget he was able to coach the Raiders to a Superbowl back in 2002. Runs a more pass-focused west coast offense.

Tom Clements - WR coach for GB. Actually worked under Mularkey as the OC in Buffalo. But if the Packers influence has rubbed off at all, you'd see more 3 wide sets than two TE sets.

Brian Billick - Coached Bal to a superbowl, and built some prolific Minnesota offenses as an OC. You can tell he wants to get back into coaching, and he's Smitty's brother in law.

Jeff Jagodzinski - Spent the last year coaching the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL. His best feature for us is he helped develop Matty Ice when he was at BC.

Jim Fassel - Took Giants to a SuperBowl as a HC and has one 2 UFL Championships for the Las Vegas team. Has been considered for some NFL HC jobs, and would probably like to be back in the NFL as step towards that.

Edited by skynyrd04

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I like Tom Clements from Green Bay as our new O.C. He is the Q.B. coach there not the W.R. coach and has a background with ties to Mike Mularkey. Which is why it would be a smooth transition for him to come to our team which is good. The bad is also his ties to M&M because I do not want the same old vanilla offense we use. With that said if he can bring do explosiveness from the relationships he has developed in Green Bay with the M&M style all into one it might be a good move.

Brad Childress I have not considered but would feel good about him as well being our O.C. He likes a run heavy offense like we run but is not as conservative and predictable as M&M. He might be what we need.

John Ramesdell, Q.B. coach from Chargers could be a good fit at O.C. as well. I would love to have an offense explosive like the Chargers. They no how to use there backs as they had LaDainian Tomlinson, and Michael Turner and still have always passed the ball effectively. Maybe we just use Turner wrong and should get a LaDainian Tomlinson type player to alternate with Michael Turner. Either way if John Ramesdell can bring that kind of offensive attack to our offense, sign him up.

Jim Zorn or Jeff Jagodzinski would make a great Q.B. coach and if our O.C. were to take another job, etc. either of them would be ready to step up as our O.C. in the future.

Jim Fassel or Bill Callahan might make great O.C.'s as well. I have not heard there names mentioned much. Jim Fassel really seems the most intriguing of the two. But Bill Callahan seems almost just as intriguing. I will do my research on both to get more familiar with both.

GOOD ARTICLE on Jim Fassell

Brian Billick would make a great O.C. but will more than likely not leave his position as a broadcaster making good money, most likely more than an O.C. or close to it without the stress. Plus Mike Smith and him or married to sisters. SO that could be a bad move like playing with fire. But he would be one he11 of a offensive coordinator if Mike Smith could talk him into it. You think M&M is getting attention and interviews. Let Brian Billick have one maybe two good seasons and he would be off to head coach somewhere way quicker than M&M.

Just all these guys would seem to be able to come in and help us, so whether we lose M&M or not, we definitely have some options, which is great news for all of us (Falcon fans). I would rather have any of these guys than M&M. I hate to say it but that's how I feel. I do not hate him, just he has taught us how to ride the bike and now as someone on another post said, we need the next O.C. to take the training wheels off and lets see what this team can do.

Plenty of good choices for Falcons. Can't wait to see who they interview/hire for both the O.C.and Q.B. coaching position.

I don't get the love for Jagodzinski as our QB coach. He has never been one. Just because he was Ryan's HC in college doesn't mean anything. There are QB coaches in college as well. As an OC candidate makes more sense but not a QB coach.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I don't get the love for Jagodzinski as our QB coach. He has never been one. Just because he was Ryan's HC in college doesn't mean anything. There are QB coaches in college as well. As an OC candidate makes more sense but not a QB coach.

Good point, I do not know to much about him other than Ryan flourished under him. That is the only reason I say make him the Q.B. coach, although I like Jim Zorn as the Q.B. coach better.

Maybe a better idea who was Matt Ryan's college Q.B. coach @ Boston College. Maybe we are giving credit to someone, when really it was Matt Ryan's old college Q.B. coach that is a better candidate as our Q.B. coach.

You make a good point because to be honest never really heard his name or much about him, except on this board.

But at the same time if Ryan likes him and they feel he could help him, you never know he might make a good Q.B. coach, but I do understand your argument and does make me a little unsure of Jagodzinski.

Jagodzinski has spent alot of time in the NFL and College as an OC. And has been on staff with the Falcons before as oline coach. You may be right about him as QB coach since his focus seems to be on the Oline side. But if you've been an OC seems like you'd know how to work with Qb's.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Jagodzinski has spent alot of time in the NFL and College as an OC. And has been on staff with the Falcons before as oline coach. You may be right about him as QB coach since his focus seems to be on the Oline side. But if you've been an OC seems like you'd know how to work with Qb's.

Another great point. Either way whether Jagodzinski would make a good O.C. for us or Q.B. coach. Most likely would not get O.C. job. Either way he is worth interviewing at the very least for which ever position the Falcons think he might be suited for.

Jim Zorn might be the best bet, but you never no, Jagodzinski might just fit the bill perfectly. We should interview both and have Matt Ryan present in the interview for the Q.B. coach, because those two need to have a strong relationship to be able to get the most out of each other.

It's not just working with the QBs. It is about developing and making them take the next step. If you don't have experience either as an actual QB or QB coach then you wouldn't be the man for the job in my opinion. That is like getting a retired OG to coach WRs. He has OC exp so that is where I would put him but not QB.

It's not just working with the QBs. It is about developing and making them take the next step. If you don't have experience either as an actual QB or QB coach then you wouldn't be the man for the job in my opinion. That is like getting a retired OG to coach WRs. He has OC exp so that is where I would put him but not QB.

Good point. I actually would feel better with Jags as an OC and another coach as the QB coach.

I think you guys keep missing a huge detail. If MM goes to Tenn, he'll want to call his own plays. Therefore, he'd probably be willing to part with Mike Heimerdinger (their current OC).

He runs a similar offense (a tad more passing, but not much), so not much need for a personnel change. It might be the best choice if you're in favor of consistency (which Smitty has mentioned on numerous of occassion).