2011 Mock

Robb4242

I have not done a mock since the last draft, so it's been a while. Like most everybody else, I see our biggest holes right now at DE, OT, WR, OLB, NB. Those can change in FA with both signings and losses, but for now that's where I see our weaknesses. You obviously can't address everything in 1 draft, but making some assumptions about what we might lose, and what we might pick up (I think we'll look to make our splash at OLB in FA given that we could lose both Peterson and Nicholas), this is the draft I've come up with.

1. Tyron Smith - OT - USC

Smith could rise to the top of the OT class with a good showing at the combine, which many are expecting to see. But for now, he's going right about where we're picking. He's played more RT in college, but I think he projects to LT in the NFL based on his athleticism.

2. Jabaal Sheard - DE - Pitt

Big thing with Sheard is a character concern after an incident in the summer of 2010. The charges were lowered and he served a small punishment by Pitt. But from all other accounts he seems to be a solid kid. He played well his first few years, but the question was, were his stats because teams focused on Romeus on the other side. This year, Sheard turned in his best season of all & Romeus was not a factor since he was injured all season. He's not going to be a 10 sack guy in the NFL, but he'll be able to put up 6-8 and start at LDE opposite Abe and let Bierman go back to his better fit as a rotational DE.

3. James Carpenter - OT/OG - Alabama

Very versatile O-Lineman. He has the strength to play guard but could also play RT or maybe even some LT in an emergency. I see him as a fit more at OG, where we might let both Blalock & Dahl walk. If both guards leave in FA then we need talent in place and Carpenter has the ability to step in and take one of the spots.

4. Cecil Shorts III - WR - Mount Union

This is a kid I really like. At 6' 200 lbs he has good size, add in his 4.43/40 and he's got a great size/speed combo. He will draw the obvious Pierre Garcon comparisons (almost identical height/weight/speed) since they are both from the same school. Shorts is slightly faster but weighs about 10 lbs less. He has very good hands, but he has not played against elite competition. He does dominate where he is at. He makes very good adjustments on balls in the air. He times his jumps well and catches the ball at it's highest point. He's able to create separation, but not sure if that's because of the level of competition or if it's all his ability. He's also played some QB at Mount Union (as a Freshman) and would be a threat in the wildcat.

5. Doug Houge - OLB - Syracuse

This is a draft for potential pick. Houge spent his first 2 years at 'Cuse as a RB and then moved to LB for his final 2 years and played extremely well. I would not expect him to be a starter in year 1, maybe a special teams contributor, but he has the ability to become an eventual starter. He's got average size but the type of speed that Smitty & BVG are looking for on defense.

6. Mario Butler - CB - GT

I like big corners, so at 6'1" I love Butler's size. He's got speed to go with his height as well. He should have the ability to become a NB.

6. Schuylar Oordt - TE - Northern Iowa

Another small school guy I have liked for a while now. He has good size (6'6" 258 lbs) but he'll probably have to add a little weight/strength to be a better blocker at the NFL level, but if the measurements are accurate, he's bigger than TG's listed height/weight. Where Oordt shines is with speed, quickness, and athleticism. At his size, he runs a 4.59/40 and has the agility to go around or hurdle would-be tacklers.

7. Da'Rel Scott - RB - Maryland

Many are not high on Scott and I think he doesn't move up much in the draft than where he's currently positioned, even though I think he'll put up very good numbers at the combine. I really don't believe that Scott got a fair shake at Maryland though to become a feature back. If he had, he would be going much higher in the draft. Scott can be Norwood's replacement if we let him go. I think the two are similar style backs both with very good speed and agility, plus the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and be a threat to take it to the house.

7. Quentin Davie - OLB - Northwestern

Davie was a very good LB for Northwestern. He's got decent speed and will really lay the wood on ball carriers. He's also good in the passing game. The reason he's this low in the draft is that he lack burst in pursuit, but he's been able to compensate for that in college by being an intelligent player and having the ability to quickly diagnose plays to get into the right position.

I like it except for 3 players. I actually had Hogue in the

same spot at one point. But I just think a FA OLB would be

enough. You can't go wrong with Carpenter or Gilbert in the

3rd. Good pick. The 3 I don't like are Shorts, Butler, and

Davie. Shorts and Butler didn't have good Allstar game

weeks and Davie plays tomorrow but he slid this year too.

They are not terribly bad, but there may be better. But I

had the same players in mind in the same rounds.

I have not done a mock since the last draft, so it's been a while. Like most everybody else, I see our biggest holes right now at DE, OT, WR, OLB, NB. Those can change in FA with both signings and losses, but for now that's where I see our weaknesses. You obviously can't address everything in 1 draft, but making some assumptions about what we might lose, and what we might pick up (I think we'll look to make our splash at OLB in FA given that we could lose both Peterson and Nicholas), this is the draft I've come up with.

I'm not crazy about this draft at all. That's a lot of faith in a lot rookies and second year players to make instant contributions.

1. Tyron Smith - OT - USC

Smith could rise to the top of the OT class with a good showing at the combine, which many are expecting to see. But for now, he's going right about where we're picking. He's played more RT in college, but I think he projects to LT in the NFL based on his athleticism.

If he's there at our pick, it'd be hard to pass using a BPA philosophy and he could be a good LT for a long time. The question is: can Baker play RT? If the answer is yes, then this is an excellent pick, as letting Clabo and Dahl walk would be a good thing for the future--both are gonna cost a lot, and both have limited ceilings. This allows us to pay Blalock.

2. Jabaal Sheard - DE - Pitt

Big thing with Sheard is a character concern after an incident in the summer of 2010. The charges were lowered and he served a small punishment by Pitt. But from all other accounts he seems to be a solid kid. He played well his first few years, but the question was, were his stats because teams focused on Romeus on the other side. This year, Sheard turned in his best season of all & Romeus was not a factor since he was injured all season. He's not going to be a 10 sack guy in the NFL, but he'll be able to put up 6-8 and start at LDE opposite Abe and let Bierman go back to his better fit as a rotational DE.

Here's where you and I seriously have a disconnect. I think this is the spot to grab a WR, RB or TE. The pick is not bad, but with a lot of youth already in the Dline rotation, i'd rather sign a vet. Edwards, Kiwanuka, Johnson...than add another youngster, as we are not rebuilding.

3. James Carpenter - OT/OG - Alabama

Very versatile O-Lineman. He has the strength to play guard but could also play RT or maybe even some LT in an emergency. I see him as a fit more at OG, where we might let both Blalock & Dahl walk. If both guards leave in FA then we need talent in place and Carpenter has the ability to step in and take one of the spots.

Interesting pick, because he could be BPA. Now if we got this kid, coupled with the drafting of Smith, i guess you are saying that we let Blalock, Dahl and Clabo walk, correct? That's a dangerous, but possibly brilliant thought. I guess with this scenario Johnson and Carpenter and Smith would start, and possibly Hawley, right? That'd be 2 rookies and 2 second year (first time starters) guarding our franchis QB. I don't know if i like that. Although, if we let Dahl and clabo walk then, keep blalock we'd need depth. I'm mixed on this pick

4. Cecil Shorts III - WR - Mount Union

This is a kid I really like. At 6' 200 lbs he has good size, add in his 4.43/40 and he's got a great size/speed combo. He will draw the obvious Pierre Garcon comparisons (almost identical height/weight/speed) since they are both from the same school. Shorts is slightly faster but weighs about 10 lbs less. He has very good hands, but he has not played against elite competition. He does dominate where he is at. He makes very good adjustments on balls in the air. He times his jumps well and catches the ball at it's highest point. He's able to create separation, but not sure if that's because of the level of competition or if it's all his ability. He's also played some QB at Mount Union (as a Freshman) and would be a threat in the wildcat.

I like this kid. Don't know where he'll actually land, but like i said before if we're going the draft route to get Matt Ryan weapons, i doubt we wait until the fourth round to start drafting them

5. Doug Houge - OLB - Syracuse

This is a draft for potential pick. Houge spent his first 2 years at 'Cuse as a RB and then moved to LB for his final 2 years and played extremely well. I would not expect him to be a starter in year 1, maybe a special teams contributor, but he has the ability to become an eventual starter. He's got average size but the type of speed that Smitty & BVG are looking for on defense.

Nice pick

6. Mario Butler - CB - GT

I like big corners, so at 6'1" I love Butler's size. He's got speed to go with his height as well. He should have the ability to become a NB.

Nice pick

6. Schuylar Oordt - TE - Northern Iowa

Another small school guy I have liked for a while now. He has good size (6'6" 258 lbs) but he'll probably have to add a little weight/strength to be a better blocker at the NFL level, but if the measurements are accurate, he's bigger than TG's listed height/weight. Where Oordt shines is with speed, quickness, and athleticism. At his size, he runs a 4.59/40 and has the agility to go around or hurdle would-be tacklers.

7. Da'Rel Scott - RB - Maryland

Many are not high on Scott and I think he doesn't move up much in the draft than where he's currently positioned, even though I think he'll put up very good numbers at the combine. I really don't believe that Scott got a fair shake at Maryland though to become a feature back. If he had, he would be going much higher in the draft. Scott can be Norwood's replacement if we let him go. I think the two are similar style backs both with very good speed and agility, plus the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and be a threat to take it to the house.

Wow, these last two picks are kinda shaky. Oordt and Scott are both big maybes. I hope we don't wait this long to try and draft weapons.

7. Quentin Davie - OLB - Northwestern

Davie was a very good LB for Northwestern. He's got decent speed and will really lay the wood on ball carriers. He's also good in the passing game. The reason he's this low in the draft is that he lack burst in pursuit, but he's been able to compensate for that in college by being an intelligent player and having the ability to quickly diagnose plays to get into the right position.

Good STs pick

Like I said before, this draft is far from my preference, but it could be realistic, as we have impending FA OLine (3) and could have to go young across the board. I hope not. I don't get how this draft makes our offense more potent, however. I mean it's hard enough to hit on a 4th round wr or rb, much less hitting on a sixth round TE, 7th round rb and 4th round wr.

But you are a smart poster (and have been for many years), so i'd like to hear further reasoning from you, as to why you focused your mock this way?

The only problem I have with your mock is that we get 3 linemen with our first three picks and only 1 potential playmaker with our first 6 picks. I don't see the need for that many OL that early and our problem on offense is the lack of explosive playmakers and you don't address that. Yea Shorts is fast but I don't see him as a game changer. Scott for some reason has all of the measureables but can never seem to put it together. I would rather take a shot on Delone Carter from Syracuse.

It's not a bad mock but we would basically be waiting to next year or FA to address our zero 50+ yard play problem.

Good STs pick

Like I said before, this draft is far from my preference, but it could be realistic, as we have impending FA OLine (3) and could have to go young across the board. I hope not. I don't get how this draft makes our offense more potent, however. I mean it's hard enough to hit on a 4th round wr or rb, much less hitting on a sixth round TE, 7th round rb and 4th round wr.

But you are a smart poster (and have been for many years), so i'd like to hear further reasoning from you, as to why you focused your mock this way?

This mock is mainly focused on building depth. Some of these guys are players to develop, not meant to be starters immediately. We need help at DE & OLB immediately. WR could use another playmaker as well and we need a quick RB if Norwood doesn't stay.

My biggest concern is losing 3 to 4 offensive linemen this offseason though. I'm taking that into account in this draft, because that could quickly become the biggest need on this team. I think we focus our FA signings on defense, probably at OLB, because if Peterson isn't back, that's our biggest need on D IMO. A guy like Chad Greenway maybe if he's not franchised, but also look for a NB as well.

As for the draft:

Smith is on the smaller side, but still has good core strength. The dude is ripped for an O-Lineman.

441092.jpg

He could add some weight and probably will in an NFL strength & conditioning program. I really think he's going to blow the combine away & end up mid 1st round, but I was going off where they were ranked now to make the mock.

I agree with you that DE could be upgraded in FA, if it is, then I think we might go OLB here. I really don't believe that we're going to change our offensive philosophy all that much. While we could go WR or RB here, I really don't think we do. We've got to get stronger defensively. Our offense, while lacking in big plays is fairly consistent throughout the course of the season and has covered up a lot of deficiencies on our defense.

The Carpenter pick, I think we do lose 2 linemen to FA this year. We also have to consider that it might be time for McClure to retire. If that happens, we're down 3 O-linemen. I do think that Baker can move to RT and Smith take over at LT. If McClure does retire, I think Johnson might get 1st shot there over Hawley. That leaves the 2 G positions. I think I would prefer to keep Clabo & move him inside to RG (although not sure he'd be happy with that) and then give Carpenter the shot to earn the LG position.

With the WR in the 4th, again, I don't think we're looking for offensive weapons as much in this offseason as the majority on this board do. What Shorts does give us however, is what we were wanting HD to give us. He's probably got a 5th round grade on him at this point in most mocks, but he wouldn't last to our 5th, which is why I have him going to us here. The only reason he's that low is the small school/lack of competition. After the combine, you're going to see him move up internet mock draft boards with Pierre Garcon comparisons. He'll be a weapon for us, along with the return of Kerry Meier I think we'll be set at WR.

The Oordt pick, like I said, this is a kid I really like. Last small school TE I wanted in the 6th round was Kevin Boss, the guy who made the Giants dump Shockey to get him on the field (Boss went in the 5th, 1 round ahead of where I had him). I think these two guys are very similar as they are coming out of school and I think Oordt, given a little time and an opportunity will be a solid NFL TE.

De'Rel Scott, was a guy who I wanted late if he came out last year. In Maryland, they have 2 good RB's and a strong goal line back, so 3 guys splitting carries, one getting all the goal line work and that really hurts Scott when you're looking at his production. While not as fast as Norwood, he does have a similar skill set. This is the one position that I really would have liked to address earlier, but I don't think we're in line for the guys that I would want to fill the role. DeMarco Murray I really believe will go early 2nd round. I'm not really a fan of short RB's so the 5'7/5'8" RB's are not on my board (Devine, Locke, Rodgers, Lewis, & Hunter). So if we don't get Murray early then maybe Shane Vereen would be the next guy I'm looking at in the 3rd or 4th. But that's only if we're drafting for offensive weapons.