NFL.com reports all interviews have been finished

Smitty47

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans have interviewed their first candidates outside of the organization in their search for a new head coach, talking to Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

The Titans confirmed Friday that they completed formal interviews with Mularkey and Fewell. The team said it will not comment further until it has concluded the search to replace Jeff Fisher.

Mularkey is the first candidate interviewed by Tennessee who has been a head coach. By interviewing Fewell, the Titans satisfied the NFL's "Rooney Rule" by talking with a minority candidate.

The Titans also have interviewed two internal candidates, offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger on Tuesday and offensive line coach Mike Munchak on Monday.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Well we should know within a day or two who will be offered the job I would think. Interesting though that all they had to do was satisfy the Rooney Rule to hire Munchak. So guess they are very interested in Mularkey.

Edited by Smitty47

I would be floored if the Titans picked up Mularkey. MM runs a similar style offense to what Fisher ran (lots of 2 TE sets, power formations, etc.), and they are obviously wanting to go in a different direction. MM would be more of the same, and I think the outside interviews are just a ruse. I think Upchuck or whatever his name is already has the gig.

I would be floored if the Titans picked up Mularkey. MM runs a similar style offense to what Fisher ran (lots of 2 TE sets, power formations, etc.), and they are obviously wanting to go in a different direction. MM would be more of the same, and I think the outside interviews are just a ruse. I think Upchuck or whatever his name is already has the gig.

I am a little drunk so I could be wrong but this post could be used in an argument to hire MM because if they hire in house that is more of the same, so why not get a guy who mentored an up and coming qb and has been a head coach before.

Guest mashburn

I am a little drunk so I could be wrong but this post could be used in an argument to hire MM because if they hire in house that is more of the same, so why not get a guy who mentored an up and coming qb and has been a head coach before.

agree.

the more I read about titans ands MM, it looks like it is a job for him. MM doesn't go on every HC job out there. he shows he is serious with whatever team he is on, look at the fact of how he turned down a interview when we were off for 2 weeks for the playoffs. MM is looking at jobs he can and wants to take over. our O has been on an average of 20+ points.

Don't press your luck because its most likely the Titans are going to hire Munchak.

I kinda agree with that but I also think despite some opinions in the community that Mularkey is viewed very highly by the rest of the league. It will suck to lose him if he gets the job but I have faith that the front office will make a good decision on who should fill that vacancy in the event he gets the promotion.

I kinda agree with that but I also think despite some opinions in the community that Mularkey is viewed very highly by the rest of the league. It will suck to lose him if he gets the job but I have faith that the front office will make a good decision on who should fill that vacancy in the event he gets the promotion.

He is but the Titans Owner is only going to spend 2.5 million from what I heard on a coach and that's usually the price of new coaches.

I hope we get a new offensive Coordinator.

Reading the sports pages and reading Pat Y. Blog, they say all the coaches have jobs, there is no one out there to get to replace MM. They say it's an extremely bad time to try to find a new OC.

If the Falcon's have to replace MM it will most likely be with a ROOKIE OC.

I'm not so sure I like that with the Falcons being so close to winning it all.

Many of the Falcon's fans think MM is boring but they are winning with him.

Reading the sports pages and reading Pat Y. Blog, they say all the coaches have jobs, there is no one out there to get to replace MM. They say it's an extremely bad time to try to find a new OC.

If the Falcon's have to replace MM it will most likely be with a ROOKIE OC.

I'm not so sure I like that with the Falcons being so close to winning it all.

Many of the Falcon's fans think MM is boring but they are winning with him.

Don't you think the FO knows this. They wouldn't let MM interview if him leaving would result in us being 4-12 again. They have a plan and there are options out there. The Titans clearly have options of finding a new HC which is harder than finding an OC in my opinion.

IF we lose MM, there are 2 really good candidates out there IMO.

the QB coach for GB and SD are good candidates.

sometimes a fresh face is better than a re-tread, although I would have loved to get Josh McD.

I want a balanced guy running the show. I am kind of sick of run, run, run....but don't want a dramatic swing in the other direction either.

I really like how GB offense looks when they have a RB option, and I am sure Clements can carry some of that over here!

Don't you think the FO knows this. They wouldn't let MM interview if him leaving would result in us being 4-12 again. They have a plan and there are options out there. The Titans clearly have options of finding a new HC which is harder than finding an OC in my opinion.

I was restating what has been in print in several news articles most notable is

Pat Y. blog. And it is talking about the OC position not HC.

There are no experienced OCs available and most former HC are not interested OR are Defensive experts.

So all that is left is to promote a QB, RB,WR or O-line coach.

That means a Rookie OC

It is my understanding that a team cannot prevent a coach from leaving to go to a new team if the job is a promotion. So they can not keep MM if he wants to leave. They could keep him from interviewing as long as they were actively in the playsoffs but not now.

Edited by delaigle

really? then why did they interview two internal guys. other than farwell they all have the same system.

I dont know if this is good new or bad news but either way we as the fan-base cannot control what happens... unfortunately but this clements guy from GB sounds like a good choice

I don't think Mularkey got the job. If he had got the job, they would have announced it right away, especially after they had interviewed Fewell.