Sidbury - can he convert to linebacker?

Ditto

No, not the idea on converting him into a L.B. But while he is not getting playing time at defensive end, expose him to being a pass rusher at line backer. Creating versatility until he is ready to take over for JA55.

Sidbury is a true R.D.E. and we should stay true to that. But if we have a R.D.E. that is not going anywhere at the moment and Sidbury is not getting playing time at that position. Rush him time to time along with Abe or what not from L.B. spot or something of that nature to help create more pressure and get Sidbury some laying time which will help him overall at both positions.

To teach him another way to play along with grooming him as an R.D.E. is not going to handicap him but make him more valuable. Especially if he proves he can do both.

We have Sidbury, he is not playing. All it can do is make us better, if it does not work, nothing lost but an idea, nothing more, nothing less.

Okay, I get what you're saying, that makes sense. I think part of the problem with him seeing the field is that the learning curve from U of Richmond to NFL defensive end is a huge one for him. They've probably had to literally tear down everything he's ever learned and re-teach him the position from scratch. Defensive end at the NFL level is about hands, shortening up that first step, proper leverage so you don't get turned on run plays, eye-placement, and learning to feel the man in front of you, whearas he could probably just rely on his speed in college. Plus, there is the risk of information overload. If the Atlanta coaches really think he can develop into the next premium pass rusher then I think they'd like to focus their efforts on teaching him the nuances of that position vs. putting something else on his plate.

As far as changing up pass rush packages -- I'd love to see the Falcons employ something akin to the Giants NASCAR package where they put 4 defensive ends on the field and seemingly collapse pockets in an instant.

Okay, I get what you're saying, that makes sense. I think part of the problem with him seeing the field is that the learning curve from U of Richmond to NFL defensive end is a huge one for him. They've probably had to literally tear down everything he's ever learned and re-teach him the position from scratch. Defensive end at the NFL level is about hands, shortening up that first step, proper leverage so you don't get turned on run plays, eye-placement, and learning to feel the man in front of you, whearas he could probably just rely on his speed in college. Plus, there is the risk of information overload. If the Atlanta coaches really think he can develop into the next premium pass rusher then I think they'd like to focus their efforts on teaching him the nuances of that position vs. putting something else on his plate.

As far as changing up pass rush packages -- I'd love to see the Falcons employ something akin to the Giants NASCAR package where they put 4 defensive ends on the field and seemingly collapse pockets in an instant.

Bingo ! ......I have been crying the same thing, if we gonna keep running BVG's BS, we need to do something like Fewell has done with those innovative fronts ......I really hope we have Mathias K on the radar ......

It's 'possible', but probably not likely at this point. I think he needs a lot of reps this offseason, and to have a good one overall, and then get a lot of game action in the preseason to see what we have in him. The good thing? Atlanta can still draft DE or sign one because LDE is more of a need than RDE at this point, since Abraham is holding fort and Sidbury is still young enough to continue being groomed.

Had to give you a +1 for the Wierd Al video in you sig. Never heard that before and could not stop laughing.

To me this is the biggest question mark of this whole season. Why did the guy not make the field? Are you telling me that with pass rush our primary issue that activating both JA98 AND Chauncey over Sidbury was the best route we could take, every game? It just doesn't make sense. Do Chauncey and JA play special teams? I don't recall it if so.

I think we haven't heard the whole story. I just get a sense that Sid is in the doghouse for known off-field issues, or attitude, or "coachability"...or something. The company line here just makes no logical sense. We went into last draft not knowing if we need a DE or not. Now we go into this draft not knowing if we need TWO.

Look, I trust our staff. But to me EVERY TIME Sidbury has played he has made an impact. The guy just has TOO much potential upside to sit on the bench. Sure he's raw. But you've got to get guys like that in there and accept the ups with the downs so that they can improve.

I hate to say it...but this Sidbury situation has all the hallmarks of a classic "used to be a Falcon" syndrome. One where a guy either doesn't play or ever reach his full potential under our regime, then gets shipped out and goes on to a stellar career somewhere else. Like Lincoln Kennedy, or Tobeck, or Vick, or God forbid Brett Farve.

imo you PLAY THE GUY. If he has a little attitude, so what. Maybe that's what makes him mean enough to sack a QB. We could use a litte more meanness on our defense.