Sidbury - can he convert to linebacker?

Ditto

Fans would appreciate a candid discussion from the Falcons about the reasons for Sidbury's lack of playing time in 2010 and his future with the team.

Sidbury ran a 4.47 forty (Adkins 4.43, Nicholas 4.64, Weatherspoon 4.68), so I'm wondering if Sidbury might get some consideration at LB???

Fans would appreciate a candid discussion from the Falcons about the reasons for Sidbury's lack of playing time in 2010 and his future with the team.

Sidbury ran a 4.47 forty (Adkins 4.43, Nicholas 4.64, Weatherspoon 4.68), so I'm wondering if Sidbury might get some consideration at LB???

I'm not sure, but if it's possible, I have all the confidence that Smitty and Co. can get it done. If anything, he may become a speed rusher from the LB position, we could entice a 3/4 team to bite on, around wk six, if he were to show anything at that position.

P.S. HATE THE OFFSEASON

It's 'possible', but probably not likely at this point. I think he needs a lot of reps this offseason, and to have a good one overall, and then get a lot of game action in the preseason to see what we have in him. The good thing? Atlanta can still draft DE or sign one because LDE is more of a need than RDE at this point, since Abraham is holding fort and Sidbury is still young enough to continue being groomed.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I have not seen Sidbury play much so I really no nothing about him. With Mike Smith being a defensive minded guy you would think we would have already seen him try him out, or maybe will see him trying to play that position in preseason.

But a very interesting idea that could be a winner. Good post B)

Guest atl.falcon4ever

a forty time doesnt convert to coverage skills.

in a 3-4, maybe. but still needs to be bale to play in space.

He is almost 270 lbs, so I am sure he doesn have the movement to be a 4-3 LB.

Yeah I didn't realize he was 270, he is fast for 270 though. But I agree not a 4-3LB at 270.

I really hope he is there little secret weapon who we will soon see who will be John Abraham 2.0.

Please JA55 teach Sidbury everything you know, he can be your legacy. I really hope this kids turns out and I am cheering for him just as loud as anyone. When JA55 steps down and calls it a day he will hand his crown off to his own protege he helped create LAWRENCE SIDBURY.

I really think he will turn out to be something special.

We talk about getting T. Gonzalez someone to mintor.

Well R.D.E. is harder to come by and JA55 has already been mentoring Lawrence Sidbury for two years now. It take 2 to3 years for them to develop right?

Any you never no what T. Gonzalez might be doing or having an effect on Michael Palmer as well.

We got both of them for good value and are keeping them around for some reason, being they never see the field.

One day both of these names might surprise us all.

Converting him to a linebacker takes away his signature skill, the thing he was known for in college and what got him drafted. Standing him up in a 3/4 style of rusher takes away his leverage getting off the ball. That type of conversion is usually made for guys who are undersized.

At 270 lbs., Sidbury is the perfect size for a 4-3 defensive end. I don't know the reasons for him not getting on the field. It may simply be a case of him not being good enough or maybe he's not developing because of coaching. I'd be interested to see what a guy like Jim Washburn could get out of him. Jason Babin was an all out bust until he went to Tennessee, put up 12.5 sacks, and wound up in the Pro Bowl this year.

i dont think he is a LB ... but i think he could be nice if we rush him standing up...

I agree so much. Just to point out a team that does this a ton. The Giants love to move the ends around to disguise them as much as possible and get a huge burst as the ball is snapped. I never thought about that until you just said that. +1

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I was thinking more of the question can Sidbury convert to linebacker.

I think his natural fit is of course is at defensive end.

But I think on some downs putting him in the line backer position and letting him rush the passer might be a great idea, or at least one to consider.

This could get him some playing time and expose him to different things and help in the molding process that might make him that much better when he is handed down the starting position from John Abraham at R.D.E. when Abraham's time is up here in Atlanta.

Never know he could help us disguise some packages as well if he can cover with the speed he has and bring us a hybrid look on some plays. We need to think outside the box as a team, thats helps in making us more effective and less predictable.

So not a bad idea at all to consider.

So all in all the more I think about it, great post B)

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Biermann as well.

Yeah if we got a much more effective L.D.E. and could rush Sidbury and Biermann on some plays standing up, give us a hybrid look on some downs. And on some down have them in there to not rush but drop back into coverage if they are capable would give us some new looks on defense and might mix it up enough to confuse the offense of the opposing team enough to be effective.

Might work, might not, but if I was coach I would not be opposed to at least trying out the idea and see if its effective or not.

Keeping an open mind, it could work. I mean we are built for a 4-3. But running certain plays like that from time to time would bring a whole different dimension to this defense which is needed.

Yeah if we got a much more effective L.D.E. and could rush Sidbury and Biermann on some plays standing up, give us a hybrid look on some downs. And on some down have them in there to not rush but drop back into coverage if they are capable would give us some new looks on defense and might mix it up enough to confuse the offense of the opposing team enough to be effective.

Might work, might not, but if I was coach I would not be opposed to at least trying out the idea and see if its effective or not.

Keeping an open mind, it could work. I mean we are built for a 4-3. But running certain plays like that from time to time would bring a whole different dimension to this defense which is needed.

Giants run a 4-3 and utilize their ends very effectively in the same manner talked about. They even have the ends blend in with linebacker blitz schemes to disguise who will be rushing.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Giants run a 4-3 and utilize their ends very effectively in the same manner talked about. They even have the ends blend in with linebacker blitz schemes to disguise who will be rushing.

If we have the personnel to do it, we should. I mean the main goal is to get a pass rush. If this is one of the ways to do it, why do we not do it?

Between Mike Smith And BVG is there not enough mind power and experience to design plays like this and make them effective.

Just seems like a no brainer to me.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Converting him to a linebacker takes away his signature skill, the thing he was known for in college and what got him drafted. Standing him up in a 3/4 style of rusher takes away his leverage getting off the ball. That type of conversion is usually made for guys who are undersized.

At 270 lbs., Sidbury is the perfect size for a 4-3 defensive end. I don't know the reasons for him not getting on the field. It may simply be a case of him not being good enough or maybe he's not developing because of coaching. I'd be interested to see what a guy like Jim Washburn could get out of him. Jason Babin was an all out bust until he went to Tennessee, put up 12.5 sacks, and wound up in the Pro Bowl this year.

No, not the idea on converting him into a L.B. But while he is not getting playing time at defensive end, expose him to being a pass rusher at line backer. Creating versatility until he is ready to take over for JA55.

Sidbury is a true R.D.E. and we should stay true to that. But if we have a R.D.E. that is not going anywhere at the moment and Sidbury is not getting playing time at that position. Rush him time to time along with Abe or what not from L.B. spot or something of that nature to help create more pressure and get Sidbury some laying time which will help him overall at both positions.

To teach him another way to play along with grooming him as an R.D.E. is not going to handicap him but make him more valuable. Especially if he proves he can do both.

We have Sidbury, he is not playing. All it can do is make us better, if it does not work, nothing lost but an idea, nothing more, nothing less.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Sidbury needs to prove he can play DE in the NFL before we worry about asking him to drop 30 pounds and change positions. He didnt see the field last year.

I agree he should not drop any weight. Lets see what he can do at R.D.E.

But until then if he is fast enough at 265lb to get to the Q.B. or help stop the run from the line backer position, use him there in some packages and just try it out.

Whether it works or does not, the main thing we need on our defense is a better pass rush. While he is being groomed by Abraham and the defensive line coach's, we can still rush him on some package from the L.B. position and either it works or fails.

Nothing but an idea, that either works or fails. No risk much other than that.

Sidbury has the potential to become a very good pass rusher. I would not mess with him by converting him to another position. He has long arms (35 inches), a quick burst of speed and carries enough weight (262lbs) to take over for Abraham.

This kid has to step up and become the player he is destined to be. It is time for him to go for it.

I love the 1-5-5 defense on Madden...

The formation consists of mostly LBs, but I sub Williams, Coleman due to Moore starting, Sidbury, Wire, and Adkins in that formation often and it's nearly unbeatable. Not trying to say this will work, but merely that if we can get out of using our base 4-3 and start mixing things up personnel-wise, it'll give players like Sidbury and Biermann more opportunities to make plays.