Potential OC

vel

I found this posted on a Miami Dolphins forum when they were looking for an OC:

John Ramsdell - QB Coach of San Diego - He's been coaching Phil Rivers since Phil's first season as a starter. Before that, he turned Marc Bulger from a low pedigree castoff from New Orleans, into a Pro Bowl caliber Quarterback. Before that, he turned Kurt Warner from a grocery store stockboy, to a Super Bowl MVP and future Hall of Famer. You get my point. Bulger has said that Mike Martz used to stay up all night with Ramsdell formulating the game plans and then he'd come down and try and communicate the plan to the offensive players, condensing 8 hours of planning into 1 hour. It would leave the players' heads spinning. So Ramsdell would stick around after and then re-explain it to people in a way that they all understood. And thus, the Rams offense was able to sustain success for so long. Bulger says Ramsdell knows just as much about the X's and O's as Martz but does an infinitely better job communicating and relating to players, and he also noted that when he went to the Combine in 2000 he came away from it telling his mom that there was one coach in particular that he really liked and hoped he would play for one day, which was Ramsdell. When John went to San Diego, Phil Rivers talked about how he didn't completely change everything that Rivers had been doing previously under Bryan Schottenheimer while still a backup, he adapted and fine tuned things in a way that worked for him. Right now, Rivers is a top 5 QB in the league and Ramsdell gets to claim credit for that one, not Bryan Schottenheimer. When Cam Cameron left, the Chargers promoted Clarence Shelmon to OC instead of Ramsdell, which was a tough situation because Ramsdell had only been there a year and I believe Shelmon had been in San Diego longer and also had a good resume. It's probably time that Ramsdell gets his own offense. He's a Coryall/Zampese guy, but as noted before, he's proven that he'll adapt and fine tune rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I really think he would be a good fit. He could not only open up the offense but would also work to Ryan's strengths, not just Turner's

Guest atl.falcon4ever

As I stated in my post I like John Ramesdell of San Diego as well as Tom Clements of Green Bay, both currently there teams Q.B. coach to come in here and be our O.C.

Both have impressive resumes and could easily help take our offense to a level I just can not see M&M doing.

So either one of then are fine with me. And then maybe get Ryans B.C. former head coach Jeff Jagodzinski to be the Q.B. coach.

Check out my post as well at:

If M&M leaves after losing Bill Musgrave our QB coach Change is upon us, will it be good or bad?

and it can give you some more info on the situation as well. B)

Nice write up. If we bring in a new OC, it is imperative that they are not looking to overhaul our basic philosophy. When you scout and bring in "role specific" players," as we do under TD, wholesale changes mean having to rebuild. And we should be in Superbowl mode, not starting over with a new "process." From the OP's write up, this guy sounds like a good candidate if MM is hired away. One question though- why is it that this guy has never been given an opportunity to be an OC before?

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Also say we took John Ramesdell or Tom Clements as our O.C. do you think they may want to be our Q.B. coach as well if not for at least the first year or would it be too much to handle or something teams in the N.F.L. just do not do?

Maybe since they have done so well with there Q.B.'s in helping them become great they can give Matt Ryan that extra something special and manage the offense as a whole as well.

Or lets just go get both John Ramesdell or Tom Clements.

Make one the Q.B. coach/Assistant coach, and one the Offensive Coordinator.

Both would be considered as getting a promotion so we could go get them if they were interested.

And the two of them working with Matt Ryan and the offense would be the making of something spectacular I think.

But one can only dream and just hope things turn out well right? B)

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Nice write up. If we bring in a new OC, it is imperative that they are not looking to overhaul our basic philosophy. When you scout and bring in "role specific" players," as we do under TD, wholesale changes mean having to rebuild. And we should be in Superbowl mode, not starting over with a new "process." From the OP's write up, this guy sounds like a good candidate if MM is hired away. One question though- why is it that this guy has never been given an opportunity to be an OC before?

That is a good question that I have no idea on either Tom Clements or John Ramedell unless they are just content were they are, or they are very flawed and something is more to them than there resume shows.

Or maybe we just or the ones to finally give them there shot. But both seem like they could have been a O.C. or even head coach somewhere or atleast asked to interview for positions with other teams yet got no calls as far as I know.

So you bring up a good point? And I wish i knew the answer to, because on paper they make too much since not to at-least interview for the job to say the least.

I think Ramsdell would be the OC in San Diego is he was there longer when they promoted Shelmon. Just a matter of bad timing. I think he was with the Rams for so long was because he got 2 back to back projects in Warner and Bulger.

Clements just got fired from the Bills in 05 and his work with Rodgers is just starting to bear fruit as of recent.

I just got one question. For either QB coach to become our OC. Is there any write up about them wanting to leave their spot or any news about either of them interviewing for positions in say the past 2 or 3 years? Cause I would find it hard to believe they aren't valued at their organizations. Both have done a great job coaching their franchises QB so I'm assuming we may be hoping for something unattainable.

Well I just saw this post not sure if it's accurate but may answer one part of my own question. Following is a post in the MM interviewing for Titans HC thread.

Posted Today, 11:21 AM

View Postfalconidae, on 03 February 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

I think teams are required to allow coaches to interview for a better position with another team. If a team offered MM an OC job, falcons could veto that, but for a head coaching job, they have to allow the interview.

Nah.

Teams generally will allow their coaches to interview for jobs that are promotions, but they don't have to if the coach is under contract.

The Bears wanted to interview Tom Clements to be their OC last off season, and GB just said NO

Edited by Smitty47

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Well I just saw this post not sure if it's accurate but may answer one part of my own question. Following is a post in the MM interviewing for Titans HC thread.

Posted Today, 11:21 AM

View Postfalconidae, on 03 February 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

I think teams are required to allow coaches to interview for a better position with another team. If a team offered MM an OC job, falcons could veto that, but for a head coaching job, they have to allow the interview.

Nah.

Teams generally will allow their coaches to interview for jobs that are promotions, but they don't have to if the coach is under contract.

The Bears wanted to interview Tom Clements to be their OC last off season, and GB just said NO

O.K. I am lost here and admit not sure of all the rules in the coaching world. I just thought if you offer a higher position to a coach if he is willing the team has to let you interview with that team. And also there is a rule were a minority candidate must be considered for the job as well.

But if a coach is under contract, no matter what position he is offered, especially a higher up position they can just say no?

If thats true, wow, really did not know that.

And if that is true what does that say about how the Falcons feel about M&M. I mean after losing your Q.B. coach (Bill Musgrave) you would think if they could they would hold on to M&M and just say no to all the interviews they granted him. Unless they just feel they owe him that much, or would just rather have him gone than stay and want to part on good terms.

Maybe the Falcons see they have a handful of Pro Bowlers and M&M or Bill Musgrave were not the answer and want to go in another direction or already have someone in mind.

Either way it leaves some questions as to why we would let both our Q.B. coach and O.C. go in the same year if they could just say no like Green Bay did with Chicago on the Clements offer. :huh:

Anyone with some insight or understand the rules better please post and clear this up if you have a better understanding of what the rules are with coach's and teams interviewing them, etc.!

Okay I just looked into this when I was trying to find out if each coach were at the end of contract. Apparently Clements was to interview for the Bears OC job but since he was still under contract McCarthy declined it. The head coach can allow an assistant coach to interview for promotions but can also decline the request if the assistant is still under contract.

As far as I can tell from researching on Ramsdell. He is no longer in a contract but some speculation is that him and Rivera the panthers new head coach are going to be together in 2011 so that may be some bad news unless that falls through.

As for Clements I didn't get anything on his contract but I think he may be out of contract. He hasn't interviewed at all and no plans of it plus he did say he liked where he was.

O.K. I am lost here and admit not sure of all the rules in the coaching world. I just thought if you offer a higher position to a coach if he is willing the team has to let you interview with that team. And also there is a rule were a minority candidate must be considered for the job as well.

But if a coach is under contract, no matter what position he is offered, especially a higher up position they can just say no?

And if that is true what does that say about how the Falcons feel about M&M. I mean after losing your Q.B. coach (Bill Musgrave) you would think if they could they would hold on to M&M and just say no to all the interviews they granted him. Unless they just feel they owe him that much, or would just rather have him gone than stay and want to part on good terms.

Maybe the Falcons see they have a handful of Pro Bowlers and M&M or Bill Musgrave were not the answer and want to go in another direction or already have someone in mind.

Either way it leaves some questions as to why we would let both our Q.B. coach and O.C. go in the same year if they could just say no like Green Bay did with Chicago on the Clements offer. :huh:

Anyone with some insight or understand the rules better please post and clear this up if you have a better understanding of what the rules are with coach's and teams interviewing them, etc.!

Most of the time teams agree to let coaches under contract interview for a position with another team that would advance their career. There are a few instances where it doesn't happen however. If Carolina had come to Atlanta and asked to interview MM, my guess is that would have been a NO. Most likely that's why Green Bay said no to Chicago regarding Clements, you don't want him knowing so much about your offense and players then going to a division rival if you can stop it.

Another reason we probably said yes is because you want happy employees. You don't want people on staff who don't want to be here. If you decline to let coaches interview too many times they become disgruntled. MM is in a very good position to pick up a HC job with his work here (even if many fans don't like it, NFL people respect what he's done), and holding him back trying to get a HC job is not good business.

JMO

A team MUST ask permission to interview any coach who is under contract and must recieve permission from the team holding the contract.

In order for a coach to leave a team for another position while under contract, that position MUST be considered a promotion over their current position.

A team can say no to prevent a coach from being intereviewed, but they cannot say no if a promotion is offered. However, jobs in the NFL are rarely ever offered without their being an interview.

Basically, no matter what, we cannot interview a QB coach and only offer him the same position here. It would have to be OC or QB coach/assistant head coach which is a promotion over the coaches previous role.

Hope that helps clear some of it up for you

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Disgruntled or not if I had the least bit of faith in M&M after losing my Q.B. coach just a few weeks ago. I would have to decline interviews until at least next season as that is a big loss in keeping things in order without changing everything in one year. Just to risk losing two of the most important offensive coaching positions, when you could just say no to letting M&M interview raises mt curiosity.

You know you need a new Q.B. coach and are willing to risk your O.C. as well, tells me they do not value them as much as I once thought the Falcons did. They must want to take this offense in a new position. I am sure Blank, Dimitroff, and coach Smith already have an idea of who they want at both positions, if not already have lined up a plan as soon as M&M leaves assuming he gets the job with Tennessee.

Disgruntled or not if I had the least bit of faith in M&M after losing my Q.B. coach just a few weeks ago. I would have to decline interviews until at least next season as that is a big loss in keeping things in order without changing everything in one year. Just to risk losing two of the most important offensive coaching positions, when you could just say no to letting M&M interview raises mt curiosity.

You know you need a new Q.B. coach and are willing to risk your O.C. as well, tells me they do not value them as much as I once thought the Falcons did. They must want to take this offense in a new position. I am sure Blank, Dimitroff, and coach Smith already have an idea of who they want at both positions, if not already have lined up a plan as soon as M&M leaves assuming he gets the job with Tennessee.

You are jumping to the wrong conclusion. Our FO and HC are operating with integrity and character. That should not be misinterpreted as not valuing them. In the long run it is also good business. The best OC/DC candidates probably would like to become HC someday. They know who stands in the way of their coach's careers and who doesn't. Atlanta is that much more desirable for them because they know Arthur Blank is a stand up guy and won't prevent them from pushing their career forward like Al Davis or Mike Macarthy have done.

Not yet but it could happen. I think a lot in the business view him as a very good HC candidate so just an idea of who would be out there in the event he does leave despite how many on the boards feel about him.

Made a mistake and deleted my post...:D

I understand, but I think that we're all jumping the gun here. No news has even came out regarding the progress of the interview. Yes, I would like to see more creativity coming out of our offense, but maybe M&M needs more playmakers at WR and RB to really open up his playbook. The coaches have mentioned that Norwood was a vital piece to the offense this year and him being out really hurt their production. I say, give Mularkey the pieces and if the results are still the same, then we begin looking elsewhere.

Made a mistake and deleted my post...:D

I understand, but I think that we're all jumping the gun here. No news has even came out regarding the progress of the interview. Yes, I would like to see more creativity coming out of our offense, but maybe M&M needs more playmakers at WR and RB to really open up his playbook. The coaches have mentioned that Norwood was a vital piece to the offense this year and him being out really hurt their production. I say, give Mularkey the pieces and if the results are still the same, then we begin looking elsewhere.

Eh it's just off season speculation and not much else to talk about. I for one don't hate the man but it's just a thread about possibilities if he does exodus. True about the Norwood part though. I can't say the people mentioned here though wouldn't be nice to have either though.

I think MM might honestly get this one. They will be getting a young QB and will need to give him a proven offense that works for young QBs. If they didn't, the only two that would have been Interview would have been Munchak and Fewell.