Running Backs We Will Consider

Turner doesn't catch passes, has power not speed, and has had too many carries every season.

We need a RB to come in and carry it 100 times and catch passes out of the backfield. Rookies are younger and cheaper with less wear and tear but do not have experience pass blocking in the NFL, and we may consider one of the many RBs slated for FA for this role

I'll list some potential FAs who may hit the market and why they can help this team

-DeAngelo Williams: Panthers have Stewart and Goodson, and are in "rebuilding mode" so may let him hit the market rather than hand him his 2nd contract. Snatching him up from a division foe sure would be sweet. Pairing him with Turner would give us a ridiculous 1-2 combo and extend both of their careers. Williams is 27 and missed 10 games last season (6 in previous 4 seasons) but this a top 10 RB in the NFL. Having him would let us remain a dedicated running team without overusing our backs, which would take pressure off Ryan and the receivers. Williams has excellent speed, burst and vision, moves and elusiveness. Hes well built and unlike a lot of smaller or faster RBs can get his yards running up the middle where he can disappear behind the OL and be down field before you find him. Has experience catching passes and can turn dump offs into big plays. A perfect security blanket for Ryan. Can be deadly on draws and screens, unlike Turner who teams know is either running or blocking and key on when hes in the game.

-Darren Sproles: Sproles played out his contract and was given an expensive franchise tag, the Chargers drafted Matthews in the 1st and Tolbert emerged as a power runner so Sproles could be on his way out of San Diego. Sproles is a compact explosive back who can burn you as a runner receiver or returner. He could be an ideal fit for about 100 carries, 60-70 catches and split time with Weems to give us a deadly return game. Hes 27 and short but missed 06 and only 1 game other than that.

-Leon Washington: Like Sproles he's compact and explosive with great elusiveness. The Seahawks used him almost exclusively as a returner where he had a dominant season with 1700 yards and 3 TDs. Missed 9 games 1 season but durable otherwise, not built to take a workhorse pounding but perfect to spell Turner and be a big part of the passing and return game.

-Ahmad Bradshaw: At 24 Bradshaw is young experience and explosive. The Giants leaned on him in a big way with 276 carries for 1235 yards and 8 TDs, but with 7 fumbles, 6 lost. He also chipped in 47 catches and stayed healthty for 16 games. He wouldnt carry nearly as many times here but would be a big part of the passing game. Ball security is the only concern.

-Joseph Addai: After missing 8 games in the final year of his deal the Colts who were never big on handing out contracts to guys not named Manning or Freeney could let him walk. He's got plenty of experience in a passing offense. He's used to carrying around 200 times and adding 40-50 receptions. Hes got good burst and a unique darting running style. If hes healthy could be a good fit, and I think he'd enjoy a chance getting to run in this kind of offense

-Pierre Thomas: I think Thomas has had his best screen passes against us, has plenty of experience as a receiver playing in NO. Missed 4,1,2 and 10 games so durability is definately a concern.

-Jerome Harrison: Has had durability problems but showed he could be a factor at the end of the 09 season. Not too experienced as a receiver but has good speed.

-Cadillac Williams: Caddy burst onto the scene as a rookie but a grewsome injury derailed him soon after that. This is the kind of the guy you root for. Caught a career high 46 passes this season. Hes played 16 games the last 2 years and when healthy is an exciting runner.

Nice post and list but you forgot another good FA RB that personally, I would like to be brought aboard and given a shot. Ronnie Brown from Miami. Sure he's gotten hurt a few times but considering the positioning here, he could get in on 3rd down and take the snap in Wildcat formations, and he can catch as well as throw to a degree. He's definitely a playmaker to be considered.

I considered Brown but a couple reasons why I didnt list him. The guys here for the most part are receiving backs, Browns 230, 29 years old and has struggled with durability every season. He usually has about 33 catches a season. Because he's 29 and has had injury problems we may be able to get him for relatively cheap and spare him workhorse duty and let him focus on receiving but ultimately I left him off the list because at his size hes closer to Turner than the guy we're looking for, whos a change of pace

If we add a new RB, it will be in the draft IMO.

Too much $$ for a UFA re-tread.

Kendall Hunter is the guy I want. Ray Rice 2.0 IMO.

IF we went RB in UFA, I would want Leon Washington.

I think we go this way too. PU/DE in FA draft the rest

So far I like this guy allot.

Ryan Williams, RB Virginia Tech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGAQP1Rwsus

Edited by The O.D.B

RB "We" will consider? "We" as in the messageboard or did this come from an article somewhere? :unsure:

1. Did you watch the games this season?

2. Do you understand what free agency is?

I don't need an article to tell me what free agents the Falcons will consider, I have a brain and I use it unlike most people today, I dont need some hack "expert" to give me my opinions to parrot

1. Did you watch the games this season?

2. Do you understand what free agency is?

I don't need an article to tell me what free agents the Falcons will consider, I have a brain and I use it unlike most people today, I dont need some hack "expert" to give me my opinions to parrot

So are you saying the F.O. is gonna hit the FA market for a RB? That's all I'm trying to figure out...

i honestly think alot of these guys would be an upgrade over Jason Snelling. Not to be a Snelling hater. key word "change of pace". does the same thing as turner. just not as consistently. maybe because of opportunity so why not keep him and get rid of turner says the nay sayers. get real. and still draft for future potential. as some say locke, or williams.

Turner doesn't catch passes, has power not speed, and has had too many carries every season.

We need a RB to come in and carry it 100 times and catch passes out of the backfield. Rookies are younger and cheaper with less wear and tear but do not have experience pass blocking in the NFL, and we may consider one of the many RBs slated for FA for this role

I'll list some potential FAs who may hit the market and why they can help this team

-DeAngelo Williams: Panthers have Stewart and Goodson, and are in "rebuilding mode" so may let him hit the market rather than hand him his 2nd contract. Snatching him up from a division foe sure would be sweet. Pairing him with Turner would give us a ridiculous 1-2 combo and extend both of their careers. Williams is 27 and missed 10 games last season (6 in previous 4 seasons) but this a top 10 RB in the NFL. Having him would let us remain a dedicated running team without overusing our backs, which would take pressure off Ryan and the receivers. Williams has excellent speed, burst and vision, moves and elusiveness. Hes well built and unlike a lot of smaller or faster RBs can get his yards running up the middle where he can disappear behind the OL and be down field before you find him. Has experience catching passes and can turn dump offs into big plays. A perfect security blanket for Ryan. Can be deadly on draws and screens, unlike Turner who teams know is either running or blocking and key on when hes in the game.

-Darren Sproles: Sproles played out his contract and was given an expensive franchise tag, the Chargers drafted Matthews in the 1st and Tolbert emerged as a power runner so Sproles could be on his way out of San Diego. Sproles is a compact explosive back who can burn you as a runner receiver or returner. He could be an ideal fit for about 100 carries, 60-70 catches and split time with Weems to give us a deadly return game. Hes 27 and short but missed 06 and only 1 game other than that.

-Leon Washington: Like Sproles he's compact and explosive with great elusiveness. The Seahawks used him almost exclusively as a returner where he had a dominant season with 1700 yards and 3 TDs. Missed 9 games 1 season but durable otherwise, not built to take a workhorse pounding but perfect to spell Turner and be a big part of the passing and return game.

-Ahmad Bradshaw: At 24 Bradshaw is young experience and explosive. The Giants leaned on him in a big way with 276 carries for 1235 yards and 8 TDs, but with 7 fumbles, 6 lost. He also chipped in 47 catches and stayed healthty for 16 games. He wouldnt carry nearly as many times here but would be a big part of the passing game. Ball security is the only concern.

-Joseph Addai: After missing 8 games in the final year of his deal the Colts who were never big on handing out contracts to guys not named Manning or Freeney could let him walk. He's got plenty of experience in a passing offense. He's used to carrying around 200 times and adding 40-50 receptions. Hes got good burst and a unique darting running style. If hes healthy could be a good fit, and I think he'd enjoy a chance getting to run in this kind of offense

-Pierre Thomas: I think Thomas has had his best screen passes against us, has plenty of experience as a receiver playing in NO. Missed 4,1,2 and 10 games so durability is definately a concern.

-Jerome Harrison: Has had durability problems but showed he could be a factor at the end of the 09 season. Not too experienced as a receiver but has good speed.

-Cadillac Williams: Caddy burst onto the scene as a rookie but a grewsome injury derailed him soon after that. This is the kind of the guy you root for. Caught a career high 46 passes this season. Hes played 16 games the last 2 years and when healthy is an exciting runner.

Deangelo Wiliams - Not signing anywhere as a backup for backup money. Would love to have him, but it aint happening.

Darren Sproles - Very possible. I'd love to have him as our 3rd down back and kick returner with Weems.

Leon Washington - Like Sproles, a possibility.

Ahmad Bradshaw - Like Deangelo, signing for larger dollars somewhere (probably NY Giants) and as a starter.

Joseph Addai - Will stay with the Colts, he aint going nowhere. There running game was HORRIBLE when Addai was hurt. So they will keep him and try to sign a better backup and maybe draft his eventually replacement a year from now.

Pierre Thomas/Jerome Harrison/Cadillac Williams - These are more #2 backs, every 3rd series back to give Turner a rest and they aren't "explosive". You don't fear missing a tackle on these guys because you aren't catching them 50 yards later. That's what the Falcons need.

So instead of Pierre Thomas, I'd rather have Reggie Bush as my third down back.

These are the guys that shouldn't be on the list:

Bradshaw: Well, he should be on the list for people we consider. However, we have zero shot at him. He is going to get a number one role somewhere, or return to the Giants. No way he comes in to play second fiddle somewhere.

Addai: Purely because he isn't the speedy playmaker type. He is speedy, but he doesn't make plays. If we're going to get a speed back, we need flash. While going without flash has got us passed teams in the past, we need to add some flash. Addai doesn't have that.

Thomas: Just don't want any injury concerns and he has a good amount of it. Not that flashy either. Just a good screener back, but we don't run screens properly anyways.

Harrison: Durability and he doesn't catch the ball out of the backfield.

But I think the rest are people we should definitely make a hard run at.