I love how everyone is counting us out

PanthersRuleNFCSouth

Seriously, take us lightly next season and see what happens. Our D is still strong and so is our running game. Our offense has been so one dimensional and that is why we continue to fail. If we can develop even a little less than average passing game, I see us winning at least 7 games next season...

Thoughts?

Like I mentioned to 08panthers I think yall should gonafter Orton the guy can make plays.

Seriously, take us lightly next season and see what happens. Our D is still strong and so is our running game. Our offense has been so one dimensional and that is why we continue to fail. If we can develop even a little less than average passing game, I see us winning at least 7 games next season...

Thoughts?

I can see the panthers improving.

in the thread about bottom 5, I did not list them, I can certainly see the panthers winning 7-8 games if some chips fall right.

The problem is you have the Falcons, Saints, and Bucs in the best division in football.

We will still be strong ( probably not 13 wins strong but if we stay healthy 11-12 wins is very possible)

The saints will be strong ( maybe not 11 wins strong given the sheer turnover)

The Bucs are a hige wildcard....Htey havea guy at qb who is a leader and the guys believe in him and that can be a very powerful thing.

The problem for the panthers is going ot be they have alot of impact guys who are FA.

Williams is a FA

Kahlil(sp) is a Fa

Johnson is a FA

nearly the entire LB corp is a FA and/or is coming off injury.

There looks like there could be major shake up in the secondary, Marshall is a fa, Gamble may be cut.

then you have the whole isue of Steve Smith and if he wants to go through another potentially bad season.

There are alot of things that could work against the Panthers in 2011 (assuming there is a 2011 ofcourse)

On the flip side ofthat, I dont think ANYONE even the most stubbornly high buc fans could imagine they would be 10-6 and be one game out of making the playoffs.

So who knows.

You have to forgive some of the more cocky fans of the Falcons/Bucs and Saints.. they seem to have forgotten what division they play in.

;) They're under the impression that one horrible season means a team will turn into a perpetual bottom dweller.

Rivera is a genius when it comes to the defense.. the Chargers defense was less talented overall than the Panthers defense will be going into next season, he turned that unit into a powerhouse.

I hope defenses still focus on the Panthers the same way they have been, despite Rivera, Richardson, Chud... all claiming that the Panthers offense will focus a lot more on passing the ball than it ever has..

Assuming the play calling will be somewhat creative, then the Qb is the only real weak spot. People keep bringing up Orton's name. Orton had a rookie year comparable to Clausen. He's the poster boy for what poor play calling can do to a qb. As he proved once he went to the Broncos and started lighting it up. I'd stick with Clausen if the only other choice out there was Orton.

I can see the panthers improving.

in the thread about bottom 5, I did not list them, I can certainly see the panthers winning 7-8 games if some chips fall right.

The problem is you have the Falcons, Saints, and Bucs in the best division in football.

We will still be strong ( probably not 13 wins strong but if we stay healthy 11-12 wins is very possible)

The saints will be strong ( maybe not 11 wins strong given the sheer turnover)

The Bucs are a hige wildcard....Htey havea guy at qb who is a leader and the guys believe in him and that can be a very powerful thing.

The problem for the panthers is going ot be they have alot of impact guys who are FA.

Williams is a FA

Kahlil(sp) is a Fa

Johnson is a FA

nearly the entire LB corp is a FA and/or is coming off injury.

There looks like there could be major shake up in the secondary, Marshall is a fa, Gamble may be cut.

then you have the whole isue of Steve Smith and if he wants to go through another potentially bad season.

There are alot of things that could work against the Panthers in 2011 (assuming there is a 2011 ofcourse)

On the flip side ofthat, I dont think ANYONE even the most stubbornly high buc fans could imagine they would be 10-6 and be one game out of making the playoffs.

So who knows.

Johnson will probably get the tag, Kalil has stated he is eager to stay in Carolina. Beason/Anderson/Davis, or even Conner, if Davis is let go, are a top 5 LB unit.

DeAngelo Williams......... Have you never seen Stewart or Goodson play?

Steve Smith will be staying. Panthers just hired a guy that Smith has been lobbying for, forever. Fred Graves. The guy that developed Smith in college, the guy that recruited Smith into Utah. Also, They hired Ricky Proehl to work with Graves.. Proehl, another guy that was instrumental in the development of Steve Smith back in his early days with the Panthers.

Johnson will probably get the tag, Kalil has stated he is eager to stay in Carolina.Beason/Anderson/Davis, or even Conner, if Davis is let go, are a top 5 LB unit.

DeAngelo Williams.........Have you never seen Stewart or Goodson play?

Steve Smith will be staying. Panthers just hired a guy that Smith has been lobbying for, forever. Fred Graves. The guy that developed Smith in college, the guy that recruited Smith into Utah. Also, They hired Ricky Proehl to work with Graves.. Proehl, another guy that was instrumental in the development of Steve Smith back in his early days with the Panthers.

Johnson may or may not get the tag... who knows if there will even be a tag.

Kalil can say he wants to stay but If he hits FA and gets some big offers that tune can change.

Stewart is a good back that cant stay healthy long enough to be "the guy" even so it is a good combo,But Williams is still a far better better more complete back, letting him walk with out getting anything in return imo would be a stupid move by the panthers.

That is cool about adding those guys to work with smith however how much will he still like to work with Clausen and a weak passing game?

Guy is not known for having best temperment.

Both Anderson and Davis are scheduled to be FA. Conner and Davis are both coming off of serious injuries.

You are looking through the glasses of best case scenario which is OK because most falcon fans had that same view point in the spring of 08. But there A LOT of potential issues for the panthers coming up

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Thoughts?

Unless you get a turnaround similar to what the Falcons did back when they brought Mike Smith on board, signed Michael Turner and drafted Matty Melt I don't see you winning anymore than 7 games and even that's a tremendous stretch if you're gonna keep Clausen as your starting QB. The kid has LOSER written all over him and a young team that is expecting to win half their games is going to need their QB to win at least 2 or 3 himself and Clausen just doesn't have it in him but I expect Rivera knows this and will try and sign an experienced FA quarterback. If you all got some major improvement at Quarterback I could see you easily winning 7 games if not more.

Johnson may or may not get the tag... who knows if there will even be a tag.

Kalil can say he wants to stay but If he hits FA and gets some big offers that tune can change.

Stewart is a good back that cant stay healthy long enough to be "the guy" even so it is a good combo,But Williams is still a far better better more complete back, letting him walk with out getting anything in return imo would be a stupid move by the panthers.

That is cool about adding those guys to work with smith however how much will he still like to work with Clausen and a weak passing game?

Guy is not known for having best temperment.

Both Anderson and Davis are scheduled to be FA. Conner and Davis are both coming off of serious injuries.

You are looking through the glasses of best case scenario which is OK because most falcon fans had that same view point in the spring of 08. But there A LOT of potential issues for the panthers coming up

Best case scenario...... of course. You're looking at it through the glasses of the worst case scenario. Both being biased.

Stewart has missed two games in the 3 years of his career. Not following your logic there. :P

Of course Dwill is a unique back. If healthy, he is easily a top 3 rb. Would it make sense though to give him a huge contract, while he isn't getting any younger, when there is already so much talent behind him?

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

i think everyone knows you have alot of talent on d,but the main reasons that alot are dismissing you as a legit contender for the division(next year)is you qb situation...i know you like jimmy,and have high hopes for him,but look at how he played last year,and this is his sophmore slump year(assuming it will happen,and in most opinions,that would be an improvement)so if you are going to ride that horse again,i dont see you winning any more than 4 more games...jmo,and ive already been wrong once this year :lol::lol:

Best case scenario...... of course. You're looking at it through the glasses of the worst case scenario. Both being biased.

Stewart has missed two games in the 3 years of his career. Not following your logic there. :P

Of course Dwill is a unique back. If healthy, he is easily a top 3 rb. Would it make sense though to give him a huge contract, while he isn't getting any younger, when there is already so much talent behind him?

Actually I am just looking at it for what it is.

I do not expect the panthers to lose all the guys that are scheduled to be free.. But if they are free good players such as Kalil are going ot get big offers... you can bank on it.

Stewart may have only missed 2 games but he has been limited in a number of others..

I still maintain the routethe panthers are going to go is Francise williams to just trade him. He is too dynamic of a player to just walk for free and get NOTHING in return.

Not to mention If williams is a FA I can see the saints making a major play for him.

They like a handful of other teams really need a big time back.

Like the Skins for example, The cards could use a full time back, Denver also could aswell.... and with Fox being the Broncos head coach I could DEFINATLY see a situation where Fox would be in the market for Williams.

With that kind of market, and teams with needs who will overspend ( Skins/Broncos) it would be foolish for the panthers to just let him walk free and clear.

Actually I am just looking at it for what it is.

I do not expect the panthers to lose all the guys that are scheduled to be free.. But if they are free good players such as Kalil are going ot get big offers... you can bank on it.

Stewart may have only missed 2 games but he has been limited in a number of others..

I still maintain the routethe panthers are going to go is Francise williams to just trade him. He is too dynamic of a player to just walk for free and get NOTHING in return.

Not to mention If williams is a FA I can see the saints making a major play for him.

They like a handful of other teams really need a big time back.

Like the Skins for example, The cards could use a full time back, Denver also could aswell.... and with Fox being the Broncos head coach I could DEFINATLY see a situation where Fox would be in the market for Williams.

With that kind of market, and teams with needs who will overspend ( Skins/Broncos) it would be foolish for the panthers to just let him walk free and clear.

Limited in games because he had to contend with Williams. Or, like against the in the last game of '09, he was in pain, so he went out, got his 130+ yards, enough to put him over the 1100 marker, and then left the game. I know Williams is something special, that doesn't mean that Stewart isn't something special also though. That is my point.

I know Williams will go to another team if the Panthers don't re-sign him. He loves being a Panther, but I don't see the logic in giving him a huge contract, with Stewart and Goodson ready to step up. Dwill is more than deserving of the big pay day he will soon receive. None of this means that I, personally, wish for him to be gone next season.

i think everyone knows you have alot of talent on d,but the main reasons that alot are dismissing you as a legit contender for the division(next year)is you qb situation...i know you like jimmy,and have high hopes for him,but look at how he played last year,and this is his sophmore slump year(assuming it will happen,and in most opinions,that would be an improvement)so if you are going to ride that horse again,i dont see you winning any more than 4 more games...jmo,and ive already been wrong once this year :lol::lol:

Again though, we have no clue who the qb will be. Also, many blindly assume last season's poor showing on offense was solely because of the Qb play. The play calling was abysmal. Defenses finally caught up to the vanilla style of the Panthers offense. It's part of the reason why Delhomme had one of the worst melt downs in nfl history, and why, no matter who we started at qb last year, they all looked horrible in the predictable system.

The Falcons offense , for example, got studied and figured out in that playoff game.......and you saw, first hand, the result of how horrible a team can be when opposing defenses seem to know what plays you're going to run before you call them.

Again though, we have no clue who the qb will be. Also, many blindly assume last season's poor showing on offense was solely because of the Qb play. The play calling was abysmal. Defenses finally caught up to the vanilla style of the Panthers offense. It's part of the reason why Delhomme had one of the worst melt downs in nfl history, and why, no matter who we started at qb last year, they all looked horrible in the predictable system.

The Falcons offense , for example, got studied and figured out in that playoff game.......and you saw, first hand, the result of how horrible a team can be when opposing defenses seem to know what plays you're going to run before you call them.

ok...good point about your team...but as far far as figuring us out..it was a capers d and also the 2nd best d in the league...ive noticed you like to bash us and take shots at the falcons...thats ok,because thats what rivals do...but we won over 6 times more games than you did,so maybe you should give some respect where respect is do for a change,because even most falcons fans give the saints their credit...if you wanna be bias,then you can call us out on 2-3 games all year....ill call you out on 14 B)

ok...good point about your team...but as far far as figuring us out..it was a capers d and also the 2nd best d in the league...ive noticed you like to bash us and take shots at the falcons...thats ok,because thats what rivals do...but we won over 6 times more games than you did,so maybe you should give some respect where respect is do for a change,because even most falcons fans give the saints their credit...if you wanna be bias,then you can call us out on 2-3 games all year....ill call you out on 14 B)

Brother, I'm not bashing the Falcons here when I bring up the playoff game. I'm using it more as a point to illustrate how bad an offense can look when defenses know what plays you're going to call. Now, the Falcons have a good offense, I'd say it's x10000 more creative than the shat Fox and Davidson was running, so, imagine what happened to you guys in the playoffs and magnify it, and you have the vanilla style of the Panthers. There was offenses in the 50s that were more creative than what the Panthers were using. At least Mike Smith normally adjusts things around every now and then, and the Falcons would've probably beat the Packers had their been another meeting. Whereas what the Panthers had to endure was the same thing, without a hint of change, for a few years.

I'll trash Ryan from time to time, but, I'll say once and for all, I blame Mike Smith and company for that loss you guys suffered. Ryan seemed to be doing what he was trained to do. Wasn't his fault, Wasn't your defenses fault, they looked unorganized and that isn't so much a player problem as it is a coaching problem. That game was just a simple case of one coaching staff being out coached by another coaching staff. Nothing more and it happens all the time.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are your new profile pic is very nice.

I agree that your defense is respectable/good and your ground game is very good. Sorry for stating the obvious, but it will come down to the development of Clausen or Moore and your two rookie WRs (rookies last year). You need the consistent threat of a passing game to allow your trio of RBs to grind out first downs.

I think you have a lot of reasons to be hopeful and 7 wins isn't out of the question. with Atl, TB, and NO in the division - it will be very tough for you; but the NFCS has proven that change can happen very quickly.

If you sign a quality veteran QB you could get back to a respectable 8-8 next season, but you could be worse who really knows if Rivera is the next Smitty?

Eh. I'd rather have him be a young Fox, in terms of coming in and changing things up, and taking the team to the SB two years later. Not to be confused with me wanting Fox back.

I agree that your defense is respectable/good and your ground game is very good. Sorry for stating the obvious, but it will come down to the development of Clausen or Moore and your two rookie WRs (rookies last year). You need the consistent threat of a passing game to allow your trio of RBs to grind out first downs.

I think you have a lot of reasons to be hopeful and 7 wins isn't out of the question. with Atl, TB, and NO in the division - it will be very tough for you; but the NFCS has proven that change can happen very quickly.

I know the Panthers have an up hill battle, but Panther talk aside,. I mainly think it's funny that everyone assumes that the Falcons, Bucs and Saints will all remain great teams next season. When has the good teams in our division stayed on top and dominant from one year to the next, year in and year out?

One of those teams, maybe two, will be good next season. All three though? No. One will fall in an embarrassing fashion.

I know the Panthers have an up hill battle, but Panther talk aside,. I mainly think it's funny that everyone assumes that the Falcons, Bucs and Saints will all remain great teams next season. When has the good teams in our division stayed on top and dominant from one year to the next, year in and year out?

One of those teams, maybe two, will be good next season. All three though? No. One will fall in an embarrassing fashion.

The last decade in the NFCS proves you right, but trends change and I'd like to hear how one or more of ATL, TB or NO is going to take a big step back.

For example, your team went from being a conference fav in 2008 to watching Delhomme self-destruct in 2009 to bottom feeder in 2010. I would not have predicted that Delhomme would have been so bad in 2009 just beause of the lingering effects of that horrible playoff game against Arizona.

So is Brees, Freeman, or Ryan going to regress like Delhomme did? Likely not. But, as I said before, the division has a history of quick turnarounds (good and bad) and I think the Panthers will be better. I just caution you not to assume that the trend will always continue just because it has. A new one can start - you guys could become the NFCS' version of the Browns or Bills or Raiders or Lions - languishing in the bottom of their division for a while.

The last decade in the NFCS proves you right, but trends change and I'd like to hear how one or more of ATL, TB or NO is going to take a big step back.

For example, your team went from being a conference fav in 2008 to watching Delhomme self-destruct in 2009 to bottom feeder in 2010. I would not have predicted that Delhomme would have been so bad in 2009 just beause of the lingering effects of that horrible playoff game against Arizona.

So is Brees, Freeman, or Ryan going to regress like Delhomme did? Likely not. But, as I said before, the division has a history of quick turnarounds (good and bad) and I think the Panthers will be better. I just caution you not to assume that the trend will always continue just because it has. A new one can start - you guys could become the NFCS' version of the Browns or Bills or Raiders or Lions - languishing in the bottom of their division for a while.

You can't predict downfalls like that. That's the nature of our division. Take the Bucs, they were 9-3 at one point in '08.. they were dominant, then fluke luck happened and they finished 9-7, the next season, 3-13. Or, the '07 Saints that finished 7-9, after going to the NFCCG the year before.

The history of the division tells the tale, not me. To assume a team that's down remains down, is as foolish as assuming the Falcons will win the division from here on out with a 13-3 record, for many years to come.

You can't predict downfalls like that. That's the nature of our division. Take the Bucs, they were 9-3 at one point in '08.. they were dominant, then fluke luck happened and they finished 9-7, the next season, 3-13. Or, the '07 Saints that finished 7-9, after going to the NFCCG the year before.

The history of the division tells the tale, not me. To assume a team that's down remains down, is as foolish as assuming the Falcons will win the division from here on out with a 13-3 record, for many years to come.

I think we agree a lot more than we disagree. I'm not assuming that Carolina will stay down or Atlanta will continue to win the division. All I'm saying is that there's no guarantee that the trend of the last decade will continue. You can remain hopeful that it will but you shouldn't bank on it.

There's no reason why Carolina can't rebound like Atlanta did from 07-08 and TB just this year.

But I just don't see TB, Atl or NO falling dramatically next year - all 3 have stability at Heach Coach, QB and other skilled positions.

I think we agree a lot more than we disagree. I'm not assuming that Carolina will stay down or Atlanta will continue to win the division. All I'm saying is that there's no guarantee that the trend of the last decade will continue. You can remain hopeful that it will but you shouldn't bank on it.

There's no reason why Carolina can't rebound like Atlanta did from 07-08 and TB just this year.

But I just don't see TB, Atl or NO falling dramatically next year - all 3 have stability at Heach Coach, QB and other skilled positions.

Naw, I agree, anything can happen. The trend of the last decade though is what it is, until something changes it. I wouldn't bet against the trend, if I were a betting man. The Nfc South is a fickle mistress :P It will be interesting to see how things turn out next season.

That just sounds weired 08' that you would wish for a HC that rose quickly, fell fast, and never had consistency or b2b winning seasons. Smitty is steady, and steadily improving, he now just has to conquer the post season because he will have us there every year!

2011-january-8-18-35-12_medium.jpg

A younger Fox inspired a 1-15 team to better itself. While Fox may have become stagnant and stubborn, and stuck in his ways as the years went on, his first 4 years, were great. From the interviews I've seen of Rivera, he definitely seems like he could get in players faces and demand/get respect.

Mike Smith is consistent. He may turn out to be a great coach for you guys. He's just not my cup of tea at the moment. I put a lot of emphasis on postseason wins. Fox, while inconsistent, was 5-2 in the postseason, his first 4 years. Payton, his first 4 years, is 4-1 in the postseason with a SB championship under his belt. While I won't take anything away from what Smith has done for you guys in the regular season, imo, he has to win a playoff game before he takes off to the next level. Then a few more playoff wins and a SB championship to be on the same level as the other great coaches in the league. Payton, Tomlin, BB.. etc.