Cam & Cecil Newton at it again

Robb4242

Pulled from the GBN draft blog.

Update on QB Newton work out … The workout that former former Auburn QB Cam Newton has reportedly scheduled in San Diego on February 10th will be open to the media. NFL teams that want a look can probably find a way, however, according to NFL rules teams can attend a private workout for a player only at he player’s school or in his hometown. As well, teams are not allowed to work out a player who has been invited to the Combine before the Combine. At his workout, which will be a couple of weeks before the combine, Newton will purportedly show off the progress he‘s made in recent weeks while working with noted QB-coach George Whitfield, who has also worked with Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger as well as other big-name clients. Whitfield has been working with Newton since Auburn’s victory in the national championship bowl earlier this month to improve the Heisman Trophy winner’s mechanics dropping back from center after he played almost exclusively in a shotgun spread offense at Auburn. Of note, the workout is reportedly being organized by Newton’s father Cecil who gained national notoriety this fall after it was disclosed that the elder Newton had tried to shakedown Mississippi State for almost $200 grand to get his son to commit to that program. And there is a bit of a buzz around the league that some teams with early picks this year could be wary about the possible impact of having the elder Newton around their dressing room if they were to draft Cam. What do they say about families? Can’t live with ‘em; can’t live without ‘em!

So first college rules don't apply for Cecil, now he's trying to circumvent the NFL rules for draft eligible players. It would really be interesting if the NFL were to ban all teams from attending this workout and then ban Cam from the combine & all future scouting events attended by NFL teams, including private workouts. Someone needs to stand up to this duo and let them know that rules apply to them as well. Not sure I would touch Newton if I were an NFL GM. I see a Ryan Leaf/Vince Young type implosion in his future.

Someone needs to stand up to this duo and let them know that rules apply to them as well. Not sure I would touch Newton if I were an NFL GM. I see a Ryan Leaf/Vince Young type implosion in his future.

wouldn't touch him with the proverbial "10-foot pole" if I were a GM or Coach. :blink:

From the FWIW Dept >> I also wouldn't touch Titus Young (the next T.O. and Ocho Cinco clone ??)

cam newton's focus under the scrutiny would be a plus if i were a gm. he was able to block out the distractions and still play very well.

nowhere in this article does it say the workout is for nfl teams to see. it says it will be open to the media and that teams "could find a way, however...". this tells me the teams would be the ones in violation if they attended.