Why the Falcons so predictable?

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Our first flaw is being a run first offense. Why would you tell everyone you are a run first or pass first offense. We should learn to use both the run and pass equally as good. Saying you are a run first or past first offense just makes you that much more predictable.

Just like being a 4-3 defense. We should try to be a hybrid 4-3 and 3-4 defense. Mike Smith is an excellent 4-3 defensive coordinator/head coach. He needs an 3-4 coordinator to put his ideas with. Mesh the 2 types of defenses and you got something special and impossible to prepare for, and the best Q.B. or offensive coordinator will have a hard time reading what you are doing are planning for you the upcoming week.

I mean just think about it. Saying you are any kind of team are labeling your team, offense or defense one way or another makes you predictable at best. But being good at it all makes you impossible to plan for. If one way is not working, we should be able to differ from game plan and be just as successful at doing more than just one thing good on offense or defense.

So we need a 3-4 defensive coordinator to mesh his plans with Mike Smiths 4-3 defensive mind. Have the best of both worlds (hybrid defense).

Need to get M&M tools to bring an equally running/passing attack game planning or let him go and get someone who can.

We need to draft/acquire free agent players that are versatile to both schemes and or not one dimensional players on both sides of the ball, offense and defense.

We have the key elements, it could be done.

But some may disagree, because never will everyone agree. So if I am wrong tell me what is flawed in what I posted. Do not tell me I am stupid, or you hate post like this. Just fire back with your opinion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I no we are not the Patriots. But there philosophy works. They trade players that other teams would never trade instead of giving up the big payday. They trade before that comes. Instead of waiting till a player is completely worthless they get value out of him with draft picks, etc. They have been good for a long time. Arthur Blank thought so much of what they accomplished he went out an got one of the ones responsible for all there success and put him in the drivers seat.

How many trades or releases have the Patriots made that at the time you was like what in the world are they doing. The only constant factors are the owner, g.m., coach, and Q.B. If you get these right. Use everyone else as a pawn to stay at the top tear after year. Minnesota has a group that grew old together. That should never be us.

If we can depart with a player and may not be as good but in time just as good are better we have to do that if we get fair compensation. And continue to build through the draft. So anyone other than the Q.B. as far as players are expendable. Keep your nucleus ( owner, g.m., coach, and Q.B.) together and try to use everyone else the best way you can, whether its playing them, trading them, or letting them walk. ALways build with youth and at the same time start grooming a successor at he Q.B. position just in case your star Q.B. goes down, are retires.

Look at Green Bay developing Aaron Rodgers or the Patriots developing Matt Cassell. The same thing we did with Matt Schaub. Develop them, then either play them or trade them. If you developed them you may have gave almost nothing for them and you are compensated for your efforts from other teams. We can be great, and I think T. Dimitroff has this vision or a similar vision. Thats why Arthur hired him.

You can argue with a lot of things. But continued success for over a decade is hard to argue.

How many trades or releases have the Patriots made that at the time you was like what in the world are they doing. The only constant factors are the owner, g.m., coach, and Q.B. If you get these right. Use everyone else as a pawn to stay at the top tear after year.

You have such little regard for the fact that Brady and Bellichek are the very best at what they do. You are implying that Smitty and Ryan are good enough to win a championship while using "everyone else as a pawn to stay at the top tear after year." Sorry to burst your bubble, but that formula only works when your coach is the genius of the NFL and your QB is the MVP. Besides, had they actually kept some of those pieces, like Seymour & Asante Samuel, then they might have won even more championships.

Our first flaw is being a run first offense. Why would you tell everyone you are a run first or pass first offense. We should learn to use both the run and pass equally as good. Saying you are a run first or past first offense just makes you that much more predictable.

The Falcons aren't a run first offense. They are actually a passing offense, that just doesn't make big plays in the passing game.

1. We are not a run first team. We threw more passes than we ran last season by a decent margin. It's a fallacy that we are a run first team.

2. 4-3 is our base defense, but we run a bunch of the 3-3-5. We don't really have the DL to run a 3-4 where we would need some serious beef at DT, and massive DEs. It's easier said than done to run a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4, and we've been drafting for the 4-3.

The Falcons aren't a run first offense. They are actually a passing offense, that just doesn't make big plays in the passing game.

:mellow:

Have you been living in a cave? :D

By Jeff Haws

For the AJC

No huddles. Passing to set up the run. For at least one night, Falcons coach Mike Smith's typically run-first offense looked a little West Coast-like.

:mellow:

Have you been living in a cave? :D

By Jeff Haws

For the AJC

No huddles. Passing to set up the run. For at least one night, Falcons coach Mike Smith's typically run-first offense looked a little West Coast-like.

The Falcons ran 1097 offensive plays this year. They handed the ball off to an offensive skill player 450 times. That is 41%.

There is no universe in which handing the ball off on a running play 41% of the time qualifies as a "run first" offense.

Maybe you and Jeff Haws are the ones that have been living in caves.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

You have such little regard for the fact that Brady and Bellichek are the very best at what they do. You are implying that Smitty and Ryan are good enough to win a championship while using "everyone else as a pawn to stay at the top tear after year." Sorry to burst your bubble, but that formula only works when your coach is the genius of the NFL and your QB is the MVP. Besides, had they actually kept some of those pieces, like Seymour & Asante Samuel, then they might have won even more championships.

True but the only way to find out if you have that type of talent is to test the waters. Thats the quickest way to tell if this is the Q.B. that can be like a Tom Brady. Or do we have a coach who can adjust and be that coach like Bellichek. You must take that chance and take that leap if you want greatness. If it does not work, it just means we need to get the people in here, whether it be a quarterback, head coach, etc. to make that happen. Then we can achieve greatness.

The Patriots laid out a clear blue print for success that Dimitroff may sway from here and there but ultimately it is in his nature to accomplish this. That is why he took his 1st pick and put his whole reputation as a G.M. and everything else on Ryan. Then his next pick was protecting his investment he would build this franchise around. Surely he must think Ryan is capable. The same reason he hired Coach Mike Smith out of no were. Surely he saw something great in him. I do not think when Blank hired Thomas Dimitoff and said go get me a coaching staff, he said but this is your budget, so please go for the cheap ones. Arthur Blank was willing to sign whoever to restore this team and this is who we took as our staff.

For that reason alone to be a true Falcon fan you must believe there is some hope that Arthur Blank, Thomas Dimitroff, Mike Smith & Matt Ryan are the nucleus and you build around that. Everyone does there part to make sure we win. As long as everyone holds up on there end we are successful and can become great and considered one of the best. At least as a fan of this team we better be trying to head that direction, because if we were not, I would be highly disappointed. Everyone else player wise or coach wise is expendable, if it means making this team better.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

No they have stated numerous times they are a run first offense. At least that what they say. If you do your research you will see were Mike Smith has admitted that more than once i believe. Too lazy to do the research right now. But feel free to let me no if you can not find out and will do some research when I have time. Should not be to hard to find, in interviews, etc. Google is great at finding such things. :)

No they have stated numerous times they are a run first offense. At least that what they say. If you do your research you will see were Mike Smith has admitted that more than once i believe. Too lazy to do the research right now. But feel free to let me no if you can not find out and will do some research when I have time. Should not be to hard to find, in interviews, etc. Google is great at finding such things. :)

It doesn't matter what they say, it's what they do.

The Falcons aren't a run first offense. In 2008, they were a run first offense. This year.....no way.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

The Falcons ran 1097 offensive plays this year. They handed the ball off to an offensive skill player 450 times. That is 41%.

There is no universe in which handing the ball off on a running play 41% of the time qualifies as a "run first" offense.

Maybe you and Jeff Haws are the ones that have been living in caves.

The run was not as effective this year and Matt Ryan was forced to throw the ball more. Look at all the close games we won. He made a lot of throws late in those close games. We are a run first team as our identity and the coaches do not hide that, although they should.

Ask any team in the N.F.L. and they will say we are a run first offense. They have prepared the last two years to stop our same old, non-evolving rushing attack. They have became more familiar with our offense and have did a better job at stopping our rushing attack.

Anyone knows first order of business in beating the Falcons is stopping there run. Because we will try to dominate you with that, as we are a run first offense and set all the rest of the plays up based on how well we run the ball.

Why else would Michael Turner have so many carries every year. We try to never abandon the run so we hand if off to Turner until we just have to pass 99% of the time. Matt Ryan had to throw the ball a lot more this year due to our run not being as effective. <_<

The run was not as effective this year and Matt Ryan was forced to throw the ball more. Look at all the close games we won. He made a lot of throws late in those close games. We are a run first team as our identity and the coaches do not hide that, although they should.

Ask any team in the N.F.L. and they will say we are a run first offense. They have prepared the last two years to stop our same old, non-evolving rushing attack. They have became more familiar with our offense and have did a better job at stopping our rushing attack. Anyone knows first order of business in betting the Falcons is stopping there run. Because we will try to dominate you with that, as we are a run first offense and set all the rest of the plays up based on how well we run the ball. Why else would Michael Turner have so many carries every year. We try to never abandon the run so we hand if off to Turner until we just have to pass 99% of the time. Matt Ryan had to throw the ball a lot more this year due to our run not being as effective. <_<

Numbers don't lie ... we threw the ball more than we ran.

We are run first team. We may have run more pass plays than run plays but there's all kinds of reasons why. One for example is when we go no huddle.

But anyways, we're predictable because one we are a run first team and two because our passing game isn't explosive at all. Teams are able to bracket White and then keep everything else infront of them.

If we'd just stretch the field or spread defenders out even, it'd make us a lot less predictable.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Numbers don't lie ... we threw the ball more than we ran.

Number actually can be quite deceiving.

Like a QB rating, etc. What about interceptions quarter backs gets. Some of them are for trying to make a play at the end of the half or game with just a pass they throw and hope for the best.

Look at Aso. for the Raiders, when is the last time he had an interception, yet he is considered the best corner around or one of them, never the less elite.

Numbers and statistics do not always tell the story.

If you are a run first team, but your run is not being effective you have to throw the ball, plain and simple. This does not mean you are not a run first team.

All that states is if you are a run first team you are doing a sucky job at it.

The team has stated time after time we are a run first team, yet we still debate. :wacko:

We are run first team. We may have run more pass plays than run plays but there's all kinds of reasons why. One for example is when we go no huddle.

But anyways, we're predictable because one we are a run first team and two because our passing game isn't explosive at all. Teams are able to bracket White and then keep everything else infront of them.

If we'd just stretch the field or spread defenders out even, it'd make us a lot less predictable.

Well I don't agree with your post as a whole, but I do agree with one thing you implied.

If the Falcons are predictable, it's because of the lack of playmakers.

Still.....the offense did pretty d*mn well this year for being predictable and being short of playmakers.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Thank you for helping me spread the light. Some fans seem blind to this, which is so obvious. No slurs intended, just making a judgement from conversations I have had on this board.

If you are a Falcon fan we can disagree, but at the end of the day we are on the same team so no slur intended. ^_^;)

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Well I don't agree with your post as a whole, but I do agree with one thing you implied.

If the Falcons are predictable, it's because of the lack of playmakers.

Still.....the offense did pretty d*mn well this year for being predictable and being short of playmakers.

I agree they did do pretty good considering everything as a whole. And that gives me more help next season if we can build from what we did this season and be better next year with a few more pieces to the puzzle. Sooner or later it will be our year and we will take the Super Bowl. Hopefully we take it with authority and silence all that do not believe.

Bet this, sooner or later this team will win a Super Bowl with the staff and Q.B. we have in place. And that is something as a longtime fan I am psyched up about, and looking forward to many years of having a great team.

Great payoff for all the bad seasons we have endured as long time fans of this team despite the stuggles we have been through :D

Guest atl.falcon4ever

1. We are not a run first team. We threw more passes than we ran last season by a decent margin. It's a fallacy that we are a run first team.

2. 4-3 is our base defense, but we run a bunch of the 3-3-5. We don't really have the DL to run a 3-4 where we would need some serious beef at DT, and massive DEs. It's easier said than done to run a hybrid 4-3 / 3-4, and we've been drafting for the 4-3.

1. As I have explained and we will have to just agree to disagree we are a run first team.

2.Everything you say in the 2nd part of this is true. I do not disagree. I did not say go to a hybrid defense in one season. Just saying we should draft/ acquire free agents to become more versatile, so we can open things up and never define our selve in any way. Just keep evolving and never label any part of our team one way or another. If we can do that, we will achieve greatness on both sides of the ball.

Number actually can be quite deceiving.

Like a QB rating, etc. What about interceptions quarter backs gets. Some of them are for trying to make a play at the end of the half or game with just a pass they throw and hope for the best.

Look at Aso. for the Raiders, when is the last time he had an interception, yet he is considered the best corner around or one of them, never the less elite.

Numbers and statistics do not always tell the story.

If you are a run first team, but your run is not being effective you have to throw the ball, plain and simple. This does not mean you are not a run first team.

All that states is if you are a run first team you are doing a sucky job at it.

The team has stated time after time we are a run first team, yet we still debate. :wacko:

I'm sorry, but the numbers do not lie in this case. We pass more than we throw. It's a documented truth that you can't explain away by trying to compare it to other stats. Matt Ryan was #6 in the NFL for pass attempts, and 5th for completions. That's not a 'run first' stat.

Now maybe our passing attack isn't as explosive as other team's, but we pass a lot.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

How many probowler did we send from the offense? :D

We had many play makers on offense, or players that made the play makers capable of being playmakers. Just we are still no matter what the case still one dimensional and need other pieces to the puzzle. Not necessary more pro bowlers, but more quality players to take all the attention off the playmakers we have.

No one can argue with your statement. I t boggles my head as well, this is just my best guess.

Play-calling always is a factor as well, but thats a whole different direction to take this post into, not that we can't.

I feel we could easily upgrade our defensive coordinator who is nothing more than a general for Mike Smith, with someone who has a brain for himself. Someone that can share ideas with Smith instead of just taking orders. Two heads are better than one. So if you are a head coach get yourself the best coordinator so you can succeed.

Also I feel M&M had better show us that he can mix it up more than he is right now are he will not be here too much longer. And even if he proves he can mix it up, he still will not be here that much longer.

With that being said, we need to find someone to groom as future offensive and defensive coordinators for this team, or when the time is right, go out and recruit such guys from other teams. If we promote from within, there is more value and you know that coach and he knows what you want out of him, The lines are already defined and drawn out, then the chemistry is never interrupted.

Listen, while Smitty may be saying that we are a run first team, that doesn't change the fact that what Atlanta is, is a balanced attack. I can say numerous times that I am Matt Ryan, but I can assure you with utmost certainty that you're not gonna see me under center next year, if there is a season. Aslo, before you try to sway the stats to make us into a run team that was forced to pass, remember that the stats Peyton gave were from the regular season, in which we lost 3 games, and were only blown out once. So we never found ourselves in the "We gotta Pass to get back into this" mode.