Norwood switching to Wide Reciever

Karst41

Switching Norwood's position from RB to WR is the only way to save his career

and will add a blazing dynamic to our passing game.

Unless you can tell me why this would not work, I stand firm.

WR's: White, Norwood, Jenks

Slot: Douglas, Weems

I agree. I actually wanted this done last season.

He also shouldn't be returning kicks.

Switching Norwood's position from RB to WR is the only way to save his career

and will add a blazing dynamic to our passing game.

Unless you can tell me why this would not work, I stand firm.

WR's: White, Norwood, Jenks

Slot: Douglas, Weems

Not hating on your suggestion but MM(WR routes) might be the road block in that plan. I wish Norwood could salvage his career in ATL as a RB/WR but who knows so much is up in the air with the CBA situation. I still think we give Norwood another shot if he can rehab and is affordable(cheap). Norwood's injuries the last two season is the 800lb gorilla in the room when it comes to our offensive difficulties largely.

I wonder if the coaching staff gave him a look and considered the option.

Oh, yes - Metcalf caught a lot of balls... he did a great job. I seem to recall him playing more slot though, was he lining up at WR? I thought we used him a lot like the pats use Welker...

*Metcalf's recieving stats for the two seasons as a Falcon*

104 catches, 1189 yds 8 TDs, long 62T

54 catches, 599 yds 6 TDs, long 67

Edited by RoamingFalcon

Most of Norwood's injuries are to his legs and hips. Putting him in a position where he has to run and cut more is a recipe for I.R.

Being that he's a skill position player and that they're bound to draw some type of contact, I really don't see how he can play at any other position without getting injured again.

I say cut him.

You can switch a RB like Norwood to slot but WR? I don't think so. Visions of Eric Metcalf come to mind. B)

when he came out of Miss State MANY teams tried him out as WR in hopes of converting him actually.

I really think it is what we should do. Bring him in cheap, try to swap. If it works get him a new & fair deal, if not cut ties.

Norwood is gone in my opinion. He has not been healthy for 2 years and 2011 is going to be hard for him attempting to work back from an ACL tear. I wish him the best, but we will likely see him making some plays for someone else a couple of seasons down the road.

Most player spend years developing the skills to play one NFL position. You can't just switch a RB that is frail to WR. It just does not happen that way. First, the guy has to have good enough hands to make it work. Norwood caught 36 balls in 2008, that is a nice number, but it fails to come close to the type of receiver Metcalf was.

Metcalf was always a small utility back. He caught 54 and 57 balls his first two years in Cleveland. There is a difference between running out of the backfield and catching a pass against a LB or S and lining up with a CB in front of you and attempting to beat him. RB's don't run a real route tree, no matter what system they come out of. You don't see a lot of RB's moving to WR because most guys can't.

Falcons need WR help, just go draft one or two and add a free agent. Norwood is not the answer his value to the Falcons has decreased due to injury. What looked really promising has been slowed by injury. Its time to move on.