Family Heirlooms: What've you got?

I seriously doubt you'll ever see me on Antiques Roadshow or Pawn Stars but I have a 410 shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. He let me shoot it on occasion when I was just a small kid.

Passed down, collected, found or kept for no known reason, what would you be tempted to grab on your way out if your home were on fire?

Mine's similar -- a .410/.22 over under that my grandfather used to teach us to shoot when we were kids (from my maternal grandfather) and a .22 Remington semi-auto that my other grandfather used to let us hunt squirrels and rabbits with (from my paternal grandfather).

I have the .410 gauge shotgun from maternal grandfather too, as well as a gold pocket-watch. From maternal great-grandfather, I have a number of Boer war souvenirs, a Bovril food pack(unopened), medal, various gold chains, tie clips etc. My paternal great-grandfather was a map-maker who charted lakes and rivers in southern Ontario. I have one of his original maps as well as rare pictures of his steamship.

I lucked out on this one

Gibson Les Paul Standard (late 70s I think)

Epihone acoustic (same age)

laptop steel guitar

cheap mandolin

had a banjo but alas I lost it. long story

and a silvertone acoustic I plan to do some work to when I get time

also trying to get my hands on my great uncles old martin guitar. another relative got it but doesnt play... it must be mine,

Okay, I too have a 410 shotgun that was my father's when he was a young man; the ejector clip is broken on it so I used to use my pocket knife to remove the spent shell when I was a little boy. I looked it up several weeks ago and it evidentally came from JC Penny way back when. I also have a 16 gauge that came from Penny's as well. Pretty sure it is JC Penny's that sold that make of gun; but it might have been another older store chain. I know it is not Sears.

My grandad just gave me some cufflinks that have coins from the Roman empire in them. They're really cool. He told me that the coins were found when a dam was being built for the Nile river. Haven't worn them yet, but I got a pretty big federal case coming up, I think I'm gonna see if they bring me any luck.

my favorites are all from my grandfather. they're much more sentimentally valuable than financially valuable. in no particular order, here they are.

1. a Boker Tree Brand pocket knife in the original box with instructions from the 70's. the thing doesn't even look like it's been used. beautiful knife.

2. my grandfather's american flag that was given to me at his funeral. i've since added his honorable discharge paperwork in a pocket on the back of the flag frame. my father currently has my grandfather's ribbons and medals that i'll get whenever he passes.

3. i also have two 50 caliber bullets that he disassembled while in the service and each 50 cal has a ring of seven .30-06 bullets surrounding it. it's pretty awesome

IMG_5360.jpg

Anyone watch pawnstars?

It always makes me angry when some punk 20yr old goes in there and sells his family's heirloom. Especially when they say they're happy cause they're going to buy an ipod with it.

Great...your grandpa passed that down for generations and your gonna buy something that will break in about a year.

Edited by unbillievable

On January 20 of this year, I inherited a guitar and amp collection alot sooner than I wanted to :(

I'd give them all back in a heart beat for 5 more minutes with dad.

I missed that news. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Prayers ascend for your peace and comfort.

I missed that news. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Prayers ascend for your peace and comfort.

Thanks Jdave, I read your post on the other board in the thread I created about dad as well, I really appreciate it.

I'm keeping all of his guitars, but there are a couple of amps I'm going to sell that had no sentimental value to dad and he was looking to sell anyways. Some of the nicer tube fender's that I'm keeping need repairs, so I'm looking to use the money from one or two of the amps I sell to fix up the keepers.

Thanks Jdave, I read your post on the other board in the thread I created about dad as well, I really appreciate it.

Well apparently I didn't miss the news -- I just forgot I had heard it. That was the one about having lost a Falcons fan, right?

In either event, you are most welcome.

I'm keeping all of his guitars, but there are a couple of amps I'm going to sell that had no sentimental value to dad and he was looking to sell anyways. Some of the nicer tube fender's that I'm keeping need repairs, so I'm looking to use the money from one or two of the amps I sell to fix up the keepers.

That's a good move. It's cool that you have them to remind you of him. Even better that he passed on his love of music to you.

Well apparently I didn't miss the news -- I just forgot I had heard it. That was the one about having lost a Falcons fan, right?

In either event, you are most welcome.

That's a good move. It's cool that you have them to remind you of him. Even better that he passed on his love of music to you.

Yeah it was that thread. Here's the collection. I'm going to cherish them forever.

post-170134-129658186194_thumb.jpg

Didn't mean to open a wound when I started this thread. I've lost my dad too and not many days pass that I don't think about him. He gave me much more than material things.

Don't worry about it GA, I'm trying to talk about him and remember him as much as possible. He left me with alot more than guitars too. He helped shape me into the man I am today, and that's worth more than 1 million 1959 Les Pauls.

Wow, that's an amazing collection. As much as I love my guitars, I can't imagine how much I'd cherish them if they were left to me.

God's peace be with you.

Thanks. The les paul was already mine, but the rest are dad's. The only amp I'm looking to sell in that picture is the silverface twin on the far right, behind the Taylor. It has these huge, awful peavey speakers in it, and it doesn't sound like it should. Not sure if the tubes/transformers need replacing, but he wasn't very attached to that one. The reverb on the blond Deville went out and channel switching on the super is out, so hopefully the twin will pay for those repairs. Dad randomly bought it, but the deville and super were always his favorites.

I lucked out on this one

Gibson Les Paul Standard (late 70s I think)

Epihone acoustic (same age)

laptop steel guitar

cheap mandolin

had a banjo but alas I lost it. long story

and a silvertone acoustic I plan to do some work to when I get time

also trying to get my hands on my great uncles old martin guitar. another relative got it but doesnt play... it must be mine,

Dayum!!!!

You sir..... SUCK!!! :P

Edited by Goal Line D