Blank: "I'm still pissed about our game"

Arthur Blank says he is more controlled as the owner of the Atlanta Falcons than he was when he first purchased the franchise from Rankin Smith in 2002.

If that is the case, it’s difficult to imagine where he once was then after you read through his comments to Jeff Schultz, a columnist for the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Blank is still stinging from the blowout home loss to the Green Bay Packers that knocked the top-seeded Falcons out of the playoffs. He’s still planning to head to Dallas next week but he will not be attending Super Bowl XLV.

“I leave Thursday, we have meetings and then the hosting owner (Jerry Jones) always has a party Thursday night,” Blank told Schultz. “Then Friday morning the commissioner has a press conference, and I’ll go to that. Friday afternoon I’ll go to radio row for interviews. Friday night is the commissioner’s party. Saturday we were going to have a league meeting but that’s been canceled, so I guess I’ve got some free time.”

Is he going to the game?

“I’m coming home Sunday morning — mostly because I’m still pissed about our game,” Blank said.

“You don’t look ahead,” he added, “but we certainly believed we would get deeper than we did.”

Blank still feels good about the hands the franchise is in, and he should. General manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith have done a solid job in a short period of time and with quarterback Matt Ryan, the Falcons have the toughest position to figure out solved. They just need to use it as a building block. And find a pass rusher and some help for the secondary.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Arthur-Blank-Im-still-pissed-about-our-game.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not over it either, that 1 game has honestly shaken me to my core. I'm use to our Falcons having holes and deficiencies galore but when we did make it to the playoffs we show heart that most teams weren't expecting from us and we usually ended up with some exciting surprises. The 2010 team was equal or better than all the NFC teams in the playoffs yet it seemed we couldn't muster anything for the gb game.

I know, I know everyone has a bad game and good teams will make you look bad when you do. My big concern is what do you do when you have a team a good as the one going to the SB? I can't see what changes to make to get things rolling.

How did you do it?! I can't see myself getting 'over it' until week one.

Honestly when the clock hit 00:00 in the 4th qt on January 15 I was over it.. Sure I was disappointed because I felt that we'd blown a golden opportunity but I chalked it up to us getting beat by the better team that night. I guess it just me, I don't dwell on things for too long.

he better still be pissed. the fans rose up, only for the team to fall down..

Maybe some of the true fans...

But bunches of posers and bandwagons did not rise up for 4 quarters...

I am still pissed... Will probably not get over it until football resumes in the preseason...

NO strike... And we need to BLOW TEAMS out next year...

Honestly when the clock hit 00:00 in the 4th qt on January 15 I was over it.. Sure I was disappointed because I felt that we'd blown a golden opportunity but I chalked it up to us getting beat by the better team that night. I guess it just me, I don't dwell on things for too long.

+1 my thoughts exactly. when its over...its over. on to next year.

As well he should be!

I would hate to be Thomas Dimitroff, Mike Smith and especially, Brian Van Gorder trying to explain why all of those draft choices on defense are not playing much or even suiting up and why those 9 new starters on defense that are playing are not performing significantly--if at all--any better than the defense they inherited 3 years ago.

The defense that TD, MS and BVG put on the field against Green Bay produced one of the worst defensive performances--and possibly THE worst by a #1 seed at home--in NFL playoff history.

After three years to get it right and then get embarrassed in front of millions on national TV I’d be "pissed" too!

The hardest positions to figure out are DE nd DB

I agree that everyone is trying to put together a winning combo in the NFL---but in the whole scheme of things this is football, coaching and player attitude and development---it really shouldn't be as tough as we made it losing to Green Bay like that. I have read that we made fundamental mistakes in dedicating a rover or spy trying to read Rodgers and getting toasted in the nickel coverage so badly.

Why did we do so well when we defensed 'em during the regular season? Did we just out think ourselves?

Yeah---I'm seething still---something is wrong at Flowery Branch for us to have wiffed so badly---could it be BVG? I thought Smitty was a D kind of guy?

Edited by Nono