Steven King is a master of horror. The movies described above just sound disgusting and sick. It's like people are trying to out-stupid one another in extreme horror and lacking any imagination. Okay, so a guy goes around effing everything in sight. His kids, his wife, his neighbor, a one-eyed guy wearing an eye patch. Throw in a four year old with Downs Syndrome and you've got the raison d'etre.

It's not imaginative or creative, it's just taking somebody else's idea and running to it's most extreme conclusion. Horror is something that shakes your understanding of the world to its core. It's seeing a real alien or watching a real Sasquatch walk through a forest. It's something that doesn't fit with our understanding of reality, and yet there it is. It literally changes everything we think we know about the "real" world. It is NOT taking things to their most extreme (and stupid) conclusions. That's unoriginal and hackish.

And for the record, Steven King's greatest work is completely outside the horror genre. The Green Mile. Stand By Me. The Dark Tower Series. Those are his greatest works and none of them are horror.

I enjoy King's novels as well, but I have never seen a movie based on his work that I actually found "scary". Some were decent, but most fell way short of the mark, IMO.

I loved the short story "The Night flier" by King. Great setup, with tons of potential for some horror; but I didn't care for the movie version of that too much either.

Haven't seen pontypool, I'll have to check that out, I'm a sucker for zombies.

The original Exorcist was based on William Peter Blatty's novel; however, the Exorcist II was not based on any of Blatty's work. It was an ill-fated attempt to cash in on the success of the original and flopped. The Exorcist III is based on Blatty's novel Legion, which is the sequel to his Exorcist novel; thus, it's the "true" sequel to the original movie. Blatty wanted to simply call the movie Legion, but the studio again wanted to cash in on the Exorcist name recognition.

It is an excellent movie throughout and is incredibly suspenseful throughout, unlike the original which had a long buildup. George C. Scott is great, though a bit over the top in a few scenes.

It has the single scariest scene I've ever seen in a movie, the infamous "hallway scene." It's in most every top 10 list of all-time scariest scenes that I've ever read. I know what's going to happen and it still scares me, badly.

I think you and I discussed our mutual fear of that scene here on this board a couple of years ago, if my memory serves me well.

I believe so. How it's not universally ranked as the single scariest scene ever filmed is beyond me.

I agree. For weeks after I watched that film I would poke my head out of the shower to check and make sure no one was in my house just waiting to pounce me when I closed my eyes to wash the shampoo out of my hair. I know the scene in question had nothing to do with a shower, but I felt really uncomfortable being behind a shower curtain for a long while after that movie. Thinking about that scene still gives me the creeps to this day.

the plot was not disturbing more than it was messed up to me, so i didnt even want to watch it.

The movie itself is disturbing. Horribly so.

I say that as a father of 3 girls, but the relationship between dad and his family and what happened to it really bothered me.

In no particular order:

Salo

Antichrist

Martyrs

A Serbian Film

Irreversible

Oldboy

Human Centipede

All very, very disturbing.

i forgot about martyrs... decent movie. i gotta say I didnt see it as anything super strange for the genre. I might check it out again. overall i only thought it was fair

i will check out salo and antichrist. they sound interesting.

on a side note I finally saw the poughkeepsie tapes. I had been waiting for 2 years so I think my expectations were a little high. pretty good movie though.

The Exorcist and Alien both leave me with the willies to this day, but the latest one that I saw that was kind of painful for me to watch was the movie Let Me In with Chloe Moretz.

Let Me In is a Hammer film and I must say it still has that aura of disturbia that many of the old Hammer films had. This flick took the vampire genre on a new route in that you didn't know whether to root for, fear or feel sorry for the vampire "child", her victims or the child she befriends.

Let Me In is a Hammer film and I must say it still has that aura of disturbia that many of the old Hammer films had. This flick took the vampire genre on a new route in that you didn't know whether to root for, fear or feel sorry for the vampire "child", her victims or the child she befriends.

I saw the original Swedish version of that: Let The Right One In (2008). It was strange & eerie in a very good way.

I saw the original Swedish version of that: Let The Right One In (2008). It was strange & eerie in a very good way.

Yeah, I've heard about the original.

I didn't know how to feel about the ending of Let Me In though. I was happy for her and the kid in that they found in each other a friend they could depend on, but I don't want him to ending up going down the route her previous friend had taken.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most disturbing I've seen recently has to be 127 Hours. It has probably the most gruesome scene I've ever seen in a movie, and it's a true story.

I just saw that movie on Saturday... i didnt think it was that bad. It was the only choice he had and i knew it was coming like 20 mins in to the movie.

I agree with OP thought Serbian movie was not scary but it was disturbing. I felt bad for watching it after i watched it.