'Toughness' the big theme

vido montigo

Maybe it's because Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was such a hot topic, but the buzzword among coaches and personnel evaluators at the Senior Bowl was "toughness." The evaluation of toughness is always part of the process, but in speaking to people, that also was a trait several teams were trying to add to their rosters.

At the front of the line in that category are the Atlanta Falcons. After going 13-3 and earning the NFC's top playoff seed, then having the Packers hand them their manhood in the divisional-playoff round, Atlanta is on a quest to get some impact-making tough guys on the roster, particularly on defense. Though the Falcons might not go defense early in the draft, they plan on finding some play-makers who stand up and make people take notice, something they don't have outside of end John Abraham and second-year safety William Moore.

A coach from an opposing team told me that the Falcons are one of the best teams in the league because of their coaching; but they don't scare opponents and they have no identity. Atlanta officials seem to recognize that. League sources said the Falcons' personnel evaluators came to grips that they have a good team but that they won games because of precision and discipline. In games where they had to roll up their sleeves and scrap, they lost.

In speaking with some folks with the Falcons, they feel they need to upgrade at so many positions that they seriously might draft the best player on their board each time because he could come in and compete for a starting job at nearly any spot. Atlanta also is looking for an offensive game-breaker and a player that fits that mold is Boise State wide receiver Titus Young. Young stood out big time in the first few Senior Bowl practices and is a player who we'll be hearing a lot about heading into the draft.

By Steve Wyche NFL.com

Senior Writer

Published: Jan. 27, 2011 at 05:45 p.m. Updated: Jan. 27, 2011 at 06:33 p.m.

Liked: 0 | Comments: 3

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/09000d5d81df3f94/article/labor-situation-could-profoundly-impact-undrafted-rookies

What up Vido.

A coach from an opposing team told me that the Falcons are one of the best teams in the league because of their coaching; but they don't scare opponents and they have no identity. Atlanta officials seem to recognize that. League sources said the Falcons' personnel evaluators came to grips that they have a good team but that they won games because of precision and discipline. In games where they had to roll up their sleeves and scrap, they lost.

In speaking with some folks with the Falcons, they feel they need to upgrade at so many positions that they seriously might draft the best player on their board each time because he could come in and compete for a starting job at nearly any spot.

Sounds like those calling for the heads of various Falcons coaches are badly mistaken.

As for the toughness, we aren't a tough team if the standard is PITT. Give credit to the Offense for the comebacks, but blame the defense for letting us get behind late in games in the first place.

"In speaking with some folks with the Falcons, they feel they need to upgrade at so many positions that they seriously might draft the best player on their board each time because he could come in and compete for a starting job at nearly any spot..."

I don't necessarily disagree, but odd considering this regime now has 9 new starters on defense from what they inherited. One has to wonder if they need to upgrade their player pickers too!

"In speaking with some folks with the Falcons, they feel they need to upgrade at so many positions that they seriously might draft the best player on their board each time because he could come in and compete for a starting job at nearly any spot..."

I don't necessarily disagree, but odd considering this regime now has 9 new starters on defense from what they inherited. One has to wonder if they need to upgrade their player pickers too!

This team should honestly be "blowed up", as Emmitt SMith would say.

To think all you people lick TD everyday yet they still need to upgrade "so many" positions. All this clown has done has brought marginal players to this roster while overpaying for a turdburgler at CB and FB.

Wake up people, the problem is the man who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room...TD. Dude has done nothing and thinks he's the shizzz.

I don't necessarily agree with the toughness evaluation. There were several times this year where we were involved in close, tough games where the defense made a clutch stop and the offense scored to win the game. Now, Pittsburgh is the measuring stick in the NFL as far as toughness goes and we are not to that level. However, I'm not exactly opposed to taking the BEST player on our board through the draft either. There are definitely a lot places where an improvement could be made. I guess it really depends on what the priorities are.

Maybe it's because Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was such a hot topic, but the buzzword among coaches and personnel evaluators at the Senior Bowl was "toughness." The evaluation of toughness is always part of the process, but in speaking to people, that also was a trait several teams were trying to add to their rosters.

At the front of the line in that category are the Atlanta Falcons. After going 13-3 and earning the NFC's top playoff seed, then having the Packers hand them their manhood in the divisional-playoff round, Atlanta is on a quest to get some impact-making tough guys on the roster, particularly on defense. Though the Falcons might not go defense early in the draft, they plan on finding some play-makers who stand up and make people take notice, something they don't have outside of end John Abraham and second-year safety William Moore.

In speaking with some folks with the Falcons, they feel they need to upgrade at so many positions that they seriously might draft the best player on their board each time because he could come in and compete for a starting job at nearly any spot. Atlanta also is looking for an offensive game-breaker and a player that fits that mold is Boise State wide receiver Titus Young. Young stood out big time in the first few Senior Bowl practices and is a player who we'll be hearing a lot about heading into the draft.

By Steve Wyche NFL.com

Senior Writer

Published: Jan. 27, 2011 at 05:45 p.m. Updated: Jan. 27, 2011 at 06:33 p.m.

Liked: 0 | Comments: 3

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/09000d5d81df3f94/article/labor-situation-could-profoundly-impact-undrafted-rookies

When I think of tough, it is more about playing through injuries rather than just matching up physically with their opponents. However I do agree with the overall premise. The falcons lack physically gifted athletes because of the premium on character. TD admitted in the past that He and Smitty want players that were former team captains of their respected college teams; Even Arthur Blank wants role models for the city.

I for one don't want another Vick, character wise, on or off the field, but at the same time they do not need to be saints either. Their character just has to be "high" enough to want to play the game as best as they can, and stay out of trouble because they want to succeed in their career.

I think TD is now seeing that he now must start to compromise a little on drafting high character need players in favor for best athlete that will stay out of trouble. This article, for me, is a ray of sunshine.

Edited by Aria7