Lets play fantasy GM / Head Coach

Aria7

.. Head Coach/GM, what would you do?

There is no right answer to this. Just state what you would want from your team. Does not include specific players as it does specific policies set for the team.

(Please use the following as a template for your answers. Just fill in your answers please.

Offensive Philosophy:

Defensive Philosophy:

Running to Passing ratio:

I would have my defense blitz this much %:

Within this many yards of a first down/goal line, my offense would go for it on 4th down:

3 top attributes for drafting/signing players starting with the top:

Ranking the importance of positions in your offense:

Ranking the importance of positions in your defense:

I would give struggling players this amount of time before being replaced:

I give losing coaches this amount of time before being replaced:

If your team was down by 2 touchdowns or more in the second half your game plan would be:

Edited by Aria7

I will go first.

Offensive Philosophy:

I like the style of the saints offense. Pass oriented offense with a lot of different formations and rbs that can catch. I would also employ a lot of play action and shovel passes in my offense with an emphasis of at least 2 receivers at all times going down field. No matter what I would want the defense to be forced to cover as much field as possible. It would not be smash mouth or conservative. There also would be little to no hooks/curl routes in the passing game either.

Defensive Philosophy:

I would run a 3-4 with the emphasis on blitzing. Similar to the steelers. I would want my players coming at all angles and even run odd formations, particularly on passing downs, such as having my entire defensive line shift to one side or the other of offensive line. I would never rush 3 Dlinemen only, but put the burden on forcing the QB to make quick reads and knocking him around as often as possible; Even if it means giving up the big play. I would probably send around at least 6 rushers at all times. There would be a lot of press man coverage.

I would say 33/67 run to pass. In my offense the pass will set up the run.

100% of the time. There would be no such thing as a prevent defense in my philosophy.

Within this many yards of a first down/goal line, I would be willing to have my offense go for it on 4th down:

If my team was within 2 yards or less I would go for it.

3 top attributes for drafting/signing players:

1.Overall athleticism

2. no injury history

3. coach-able.

They do not need to leaders or saints. Coach's job to lead the team.

1. OLine <- easiest to evaluate. 1a. OT, 1b. C, 1c.G

2. QB <- Does not need a huge arm but needs to be accurate with a fast delivery. Also, has to be able to scramble to get yards. At least as fast as Rodgers or Rapelessburger.

3. WR

4. HB

5. TE

6. FB

1. DE

2. OLB

3. DT

4. CB

5. Safeties

6. MLB

3 years max. 1st rounders would have to crack the starting lineup by their 2nd year. 2nd rounders i would give 3. Free agents and 3rd rounders and lower would have 2 to make the team.

3 years for coordinators and 4 for the head coach. They would have to start winning in the playoffs WITHIN that time period to keep their job. They do NOT need to win the super bowl but to win at least ONE playoff game within 4 years for the head coach, and 3 for the coordinators.

If your team was down by 2 touchdowns or more in the second half your game plan would be:

Pass and pass often. I would use draws, for the few running plays as well as flea flickers. Lots of 5 receiver sets.

Edited by Aria7

Offensive Philosophy:

Most of the time. I would like to run the 3WR set. With one RB. Pass orientated. Would keep Turner in my offense along with Snelling. Sometimes i would run with split RBs with Snelling at FB. Keep the options for RB in the passing game. Esp with Snelling out to recieve. Keep Turner to protect at times.

Also want to mix it up with a 2 TE set. If they come with LBs, we'll pass. With Dbs, i would favour to run unless otherwise. With Tony G and another good rec. TE. This could also be deadly.

Defensive Philosophy:

Just looking at our personell, would stick to 4-3. Our LB and DLine were made for 4-3. For the 4-3 to work well. We need heavy pass rushers. So i would get a beast D-Line with perhaps 2 real good DE. Looking at our DLine. We could get Charles Johnson. At ocassions, blitz a CB or a LB. If you have a great defensive line and you rush someone. That might force the QB to max protect or take the blitz.

Running to Passing ratio: pass:run, 70:30. Or something similar to the Pats 2010

I would have my defense blitz this much %: 40%

Within this many yards of a first down/goal line, my offense would go for it on 4th down:

3 yards maximum.

1. Skill set

2. Fitness (str, speed etc)

3. Personality

1. QB (Stick with Matt Ryan)

2. OL ( 1. T 2. C 3. G)

3. WR

4. TE

5. RB

6. FB

1. DE

2. DT

3. MLB

4. DB

5. OLB

2 games. Then bench

2 seasons

Defense step up. Blitz more often. Force them to become one dimensional. Pressure the QB.

Offense, keep the D guessing. Just score! Use the 3 WR set or the 2TE set.

Offensive Philosophy:

Most of the time. I would like to run the 3WR set. With one RB. Pass orientated. Would keep Turner in my offense along with Snelling. Sometimes i would run with split RBs with Snelling at FB. Keep the options for RB in the passing game. Esp with Snelling out to recieve. Keep Turner to protect at times.

Also want to mix it up with a 2 TE set. If they come with LBs, we'll pass. With Dbs, i would favour to run unless otherwise. With Tony G and another good rec. TE. This could also be deadly.

Defensive Philosophy:

Just looking at our personell, would stick to 4-3. Our LB and DLine were made for 4-3. For the 4-3 to work well. We need heavy pass rushers. So i would get a beast D-Line with perhaps 2 real good DE. Looking at our DLine. We could get Charles Johnson. At ocassions, blitz a CB or a LB. If you have a great defensive line and you rush someone. That might force the QB to max protect or take the blitz.

Running to Passing ratio: pass:run, 70:30. Or something similar to the Pats 2010

I would have my defense blitz this much %: 40%

3 yards maximum.

1. Skill set

2. Fitness (str, speed etc)

3. Personality

1. QB (Stick with Matt Ryan)

2. OL ( 1. T 2. C 3. G)

3. WR

4. TE

5. RB

6. FB

1. DE

2. DT

3. MLB

4. DB

5. OLB

2 games. Then bench

2 seasons

Defense step up. Blitz more often. Force them to become one dimensional. Pressure the QB.

Offense, keep the D guessing. Just score! Use the 3 WR set or the 2TE set.

Thanks for replying. Glad to see someone with their own ideas.

Offensive Philosophy:Pound that Rock

Defensive Philosophy:play in the backfield

Running to Passing ratio:running will always be higher unless down by more than 2 scores

I would have my defense blitz this much %: no less than 35

Within this many yards of a first down/goal line, my offense would go for it on 4th down:2

1.skills

2.need

3.measurables

1.o-line

2.RB

3.QB

4.TE

5.FB

6.WR

1.DT

2.DE

3.CB

4.MLB

5.S

6.OLB

I would give struggling players this amount of time before being replaced: The off season

I give losing coaches this amount of time before being replaced:2 seasons

If your team was down by 2 touchdowns or more in the second half your game plan would be:screens and throws too the middle of the field until time dictates I need to work the side line deep

Offensive Philosophy - Run game sets up play action pass...similar to what we run now but with a few more shots downfield

Defensive Philosophy - 4-3 with speed edge rushers and powerful inside guys...have physical corners that can play bump and run on both sides that allows us to bring the heat in passing downs

Running to Passing - 50/50...right where we are at now...i love the balanced attack

blitz - this varies on down and distance but i would like to bring more pressure on first down...seems like we only want to blitz when its 3rd down

4th downs - i wouldn't change a thing about what Smitty is doing with this one...play it just like him...play the odds but nothing stupid

attributes to signing a player:

1) athleticism

2) technique

3) experience (more than one solid year at college or pro level)

important positions for offense:

1) QB

2) Center and rest of O-line

3) WR

4) RB

5) TE

6) FB

important positions on defense:

1) DT

2) MLB

3) DE

4) FS/SS

5) CB

6) OLB

Struggling player: if no signs of improvement or progression than after the season; if small improvement 1-2 more years let his contract play out (if its not one of the higher paid players) and then move him

Losing coaches before replacement: 3 years...the best teams have continuity at the head coaching position

Down 2 TD's in the second half: if i have the whole second half nothing really changes because if you score on your next drive you are one play away...as time winds down i would start bringing pressure on defense on early downs and offense have a run/pass ratio around 40/60

Offensive Philosophy:

I’d build around a power running game, but I’d want backs and TEs who can make plays in the passing game, as you need at least 4 legitimate receiving options on every play. However, I’d also mix in some 3 and 4 Wr sets to stretch the field horizontally and vertically when needed. I’d built around the Don Coryell principles of reading deep to shallow and stretching the field.

Defensive Philosophy:

If I was building from scratch, I’d look to a 3-4, but with this personnel I’d run a 4-3 with a cover 2 , but I’d also look to build in some flex and 46 variations.

45:55

Depends on the situation, and opponent. I’d hope to get pressure with 4, but you have to be prepared to step up the pressure when needed.

Depends on a lot of variables, such as game situation and field position, and how my O and D are performing. However, I’d look to go for 4th downs when between the opponents 33-40 yard lines, rather than punt and risking a 13-20 yard shift if field position on the touchback. I also wouldn’t punt the ball away inside the last 3 mins when down by a score.

1. Talent

2. Scheme fit

3. Character

(if you don’t fulfill all 3, you can go elsewhere)

1. QB

2. LT

3. RT

4. WR

5. RB

Running a 4-3

1. RDE

2. CB

3. MLB

4. OLB

5. DT

Running a 3-4

1. DT

2. CB

3. OLB

4. MLB

5. DE

I’d give high and mid round draft picks at least 3 years, unless they show absolutely no work ethic or performance.

At least 3 years, and if they show signs of turning things around in yr 3 they’d get more time. I’d only axe a coach within 3 years in exceptional circumstances. Continuity is vital in the NFL.

Bring the house on D and stretch the field on O.

Offensive Philosophy:

I’d build around a power running game, but I’d want backs and TEs who can make plays in the passing game, as you need at least 4 legitimate receiving options on every play. However, I’d also mix in some 3 and 4 Wr sets to stretch the field horizontally and vertically when needed. I’d built around the Don Coryell principles of reading deep to shallow and stretching the field.

Defensive Philosophy:

If I was building from scratch, I’d look to a 3-4, but with this personnel I’d run a 4-3 with a cover 2 , but I’d also look to build in some flex and 46 variations.

45:55

Depends on the situation, and opponent. I’d hope to get pressure with 4, but you have to be prepared to step up the pressure when needed.

Depends on a lot of variables, such as game situation and field position, and how my O and D are performing. However, I’d look to go for 4th downs when between the opponents 33-40 yard lines, rather than punt and risking a 13-20 yard shift if field position on the touchback. I also wouldn’t punt the ball away inside the last 3 mins when down by a score.

1. Talent

2. Scheme fit

3. Character

(if you don’t fulfill all 3, you can go elsewhere)

1. QB

2. LT

3. RT

4. WR

5. RB

Running a 4-3

1. RDE

2. CB

3. MLB

4. OLB

5. DT

Running a 3-4

1. DT

2. CB

3. OLB

4. MLB

5. DE

I’d give high and mid round draft picks at least 3 years, unless they show absolutely no work ethic or performance.

At least 3 years, and if they show signs of turning things around in yr 3 they’d get more time. I’d only axe a coach within 3 years in exceptional circumstances. Continuity is vital in the NFL.

Bring the house on D and stretch the field on O.

People have similar answers to this. But why wait till you were down to be aggressive? I would have the pedal down the whole game. But that is just me.

People have similar answers to this. But why wait till you were down to be aggressive? I would have the pedal down the whole game. But that is just me.

I wouldn't necessarily wait until we are behind before getting agressive. IM you need to be mixing up your pressure, fronts and coverages from the first play of the game. However, a top Qb will rip you apart if you blitz every down and they pick up the blizter, so you can't blitz every down.

When you are 2+ scores down in the 2nd half, at that stage you just have to take more risk.