Mularkey haters might be in luck

JRid

Never happen!

Mularkey's stock fell sharply after the New Orleans game and completely collapsed after the Green Bay game.

Mularkey had us in position to win or stay close in both games except for two fumbles against N'Awlins and Ryan's pick 6 and end zone TO against the Pack (not to mention the defense collapsing). I'm not saying he's the greatest OC in the league but all he can do is call the plays and hope that the players don't blow it. You used the wrong two examples.

Never happen!

Mularkey's stock fell sharply after the New Orleans game and completely collapsed after the Green Bay game.

i disagree. he had 2 interview offers after the NO game, and coaches are smart enough to not let one game over shadow an entire body of work. they are much smarter than fans.

Mularkey had us in position to win or stay close in both games except for two fumbles against N'Awlins and Ryan's pick 6 and end zone TO against the Pack (not to mention the defense collapsing). I'm not saying he's the greatest OC in the league but all he can do is call the plays and hope that the players don't blow it. You used the wrong two examples.

Then why has he not been seriously considered for a job other than the Cleveland interview where Holmgren hired someone completely unproven at any head coaching level instead of him?

I don't' believe Mularkey is any longer considered a leading and innovative offensive mind today and thus I would be surprised if Tennessee even considers him...I hope they do!

i disagree. he had 2 interview offers after the NO game, and coaches are smart enough to not let one game over shadow an entire body of work. they are much smarter than fans.

Denver never seriously considered him--when they couldn't get Harbaugh they went after Fox--and Mularkey couldn't convince Holmgren to hire him over a complete unknown.

One game? No, we have been waiting for many, many games the past two seasons for this incredibly predictable offense to gel and it actually got worse and was exposed by the Saints and the Packers.

Denver never seriously considered him--when they couldn't get Harbaugh they went after Fox--and Mularkey couldn't convince Holmgren to hire him over a complete unknown.

One game? No, we have been waiting for many, many games the past two seasons for this incredibly predictable offense to gel and it actually got worse and was exposed by the Saints and the Packers.

He never interviewed with the Browns, he cancelled it.

at least hate factually ;)

And they guy Holmgren hired is known, and also has worked with Holmgren in the past.

Like I said, he is respected around the NFL and among the Networks. Just fans of the team he coaches for don't seem to have it.

Then why has he not been seriously considered for a job other than the Cleveland interview where Holmgren hired someone completely unproven at any head coaching level instead of him?

I don't' believe Mularkey is any longer considered a leading and innovative offensive mind today and thus I would be surprised if Tennessee even considers him...I hope they do!

Read my post again. I didn't disagree with you at all other than your choice of games. You picked two games that were primarily lost due to poor execution, not play calling.

He never interviewed with the Browns, he canceled it.

at least hate factually wink.gif

And they guy Holmgren hired is known, and also has worked with Holmgren in the past.

Like I said, he is respected around the NFL and among the Networks. Just fans of the team he coaches for don't seem to have it.

Wrong. He DID interview with the Browns and he canceled the interview with the Broncos the day before it was seheduled...he had learned they were most interested in Harbaugh because of the Elway/Harbaugh Stanford connection.

At least love factually! wink.gif

Edited by Quarterback

Wrong. He DID interview with the Browns and he canceled the interview with the Broncos the day before it was seheduled...he had learned they were most interested in Harbaugh because of the Elway/Harbaugh Stanford connection.

At least love factually! wink.gif

Your right he did interview but who is to say he was very interested in the beginning anyway?

Besides Holmgren wanted a WCO guy. That was common knowledge.

Mularkey is the best option for us right now. I agree that Smitty should make him open up a bit more but...

I live in PA and everyone here is a Steeler fan. I see them play every single week. (Rooting for them to lose of course) Every game it is like 7-3 at halftime and the final is like 15-9 or something. All close games and they come out on top... seemingly every single time. That's how we are. Close games that we historically have lost, we win now. We need the one thing the Steelers have that we don't.... defense.

BVG... needs out... just sayin.... add Johnson or Hali... boom... done...

Peace!

Mularkey is the best option for us right now. I agree that Smitty should make him open up a bit more but...

I live in PA and everyone here is a Steeler fan. I see them play every single week. (Rooting for them to lose of course) Every game it is like 7-3 at halftime and the final is like 15-9 or something. All close games and they come out on top... seemingly every single time. That's how we are. Close games that we historically have lost, we win now. We need the one thing the Steelers have that we don't.... defense.

BVG... needs out... just sayin.... add Johnson or Hali... boom... done...

Peace!

Some of my comments are at times playful sarcasm.

My sincere feelings are I could live with Mularkey if he could simply loosen up the reins a bit and incorporate a vertical game to complement his horizontal game, and then avoid some predictability in situational downs and distance. He seem at times to be stuck in the 1980's offenses where the more physical team can "Will" their way to victory. With enough of the right talent--like the Falcons have now on offense--you can win the majority of games. But, when facing more advanced coaching and better athletes in the playoffs, teams just have to be able to change approaches when one is being taken away like we saw with New Orleans and Green Bay.

My real heartburn is with the defense. What I saw against Green Bay was disturbing and disheartening. After three years and nine new starters on defense I think BVG gets an "F" for the pre-game planning and in-game adjustments and I wouldn't shed a tear if tomorrow he was replaced with a top notch and proven NFL DC. It is one thing to lose; it is quite another to be embarrassed--not a single forced punt in the most important game in years!

The Titans and Jeff Fisher have agreed to part ways. I wonder if they will interview Mularkey.

I'm personally not a Mularkey hater and if we lose him now I don't know who our OC would be.

Theres no point in letting Mularkey go now, McDaniels is with the Rams, Musgrave is with the Vikings.

He never interviewed with the Browns, he cancelled it.

at least hate factually ;)

Thanks for making a good point. By the way.. Like the sig.