School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their academic results

At least the guy seems to be trying to genuinely help the students, I see nothing nefarious in his actions. I think a teacher (principle) "following the data" and and coming at a problem from a different perspective in trying to combat a 40 year trend is a good thing. I'm not sure how 6 minutes a day could be beneficial, but at least they are doing something different than the failed status quo.

dailymail

A high school has defended its decision to segregate students by race and gender.

The scheme, at McCaskey East High School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, separates black students from the rest of the school pupils, and then further breaks it down into black females and black males.

The separation is only for a short period - six minutes each day and 20 minutes twice a month - but it has drawn criticism for raising the spectre of racial segregation.

Today the school's principal defended the policy.

Bill Jimenez said the school noticed that black students were not performing as well as other students, and that research had shown that same-race classes with strong same-race role models led to better academic results.

Mr Jimenez admitted that no other students were divided by race at the school, but he added that academic data dictated the school take a different approach with its black students.

He told Lancasteronline.com: 'One of the things we said when we did this was, "Let's look at the data, let's not run from it. Let's confront it and see what we can do about it".'

The idea came from Angela Tilghman, an instructional coach at McCaskey East.

She said statistics had shown about a third of McCaskey's African-Americans scored proficient or advanced in reading on last year's Pennsylvania System of School Assessment tests, compared with 60 per cent of white students and 42 per cent of students overall.

In mathematics, only 27 per cent of black students scored proficient or advanced.

McCaskey East High School

The separation at the school in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, is only for a short period - six minutes each day and 20 minutes twice a month - but it has drawn criticism for raising the spectre of racial segregation.

She said research had shown that grouping black students by gender with a strong role model could boost both academic achievement and self-esteem.

Some students, staff and parents were against the segregation, saying that it ran against everything the school stood for - with students from diverse backgrounds.

But it was something Mr Jimenez thought was worth trying.

In all segregated classes, mentors track their students' grades, test scores and attendance.

One such mentor is Michael Mitchell, who hopes to inspire his black male students during their short daily meetings.

He said he often quoted the Reverend Martin Luther King, who said: 'Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.'

Mr Mitchell recently used the quote when he found that some of his students were failing gym.

He said: 'They're all young. They're all strong. They're all athletic. But they're failing because they chose not to participate.

'That's an example of "conscientious stupidity". You can do but you choose not to do. These are the things we need to get away from.'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the schools plight, I have worked in a school system and know first hand that each child regardless of race learns differently. The problem I have is six minutes! Thats all?? It will be interesting to see a few years from now if six minutes really makes a difference.

My Algebra II teacher could get a full lesson in, in 10 minutes. IMO 6 mins of help is a lot more than it seems.

Ok, I've got to hear the explanation for this one...

I would say it is rather self explanatory. Pain experienced by the elders is passed down by generations living under(or close to) the same conditions. This manifests itself as PTSD in the students, thus is probably the reason they dont do as good as other groups at that school.

Edited by Forever Julian

Yes cause all black have expierenced War or War like expierences. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm agreeing with Julian about those children suffering from PTSD, but PTSD doesn't just come from war experiences.

Children can be subjected to varying abuses and stresses which could have an adverse affect on their psyche or well-being. Take bullying, for example. I knew this one young white child that had acute PTSD due to him being raped in the middle of the night by relatives. He had flashbacks, hallucinations and would attack you if you happened to surprise him by walking behind him.

Mind you, I'm not saying those kids are not doing well due to PTSD, but if they're suffering from some type of stress that dissipates due to them being in what they perceive to be friendlier environs, then what Julian says could have merit.

Not that I'm agreeing with Julian about those children suffering from PTSD, but PTSD doesn't just come from war experiences.

Children can be subjected to varying abuses and stresses which could have an adverse affect on their psyche or well-being. Take bullying, for example. I knew this one young white child that had acute PTSD due to him being raped in the middle of the night by relatives. He had flashbacks, hallucinations and would attack you if you happened to surprise him by walking behind him.

Mind you, I'm not saying those kids are not doing well due to PTSD, but if they're suffering from some type of stress that dissipates due to them being in what they perceive to be friendlier environs, then what Julian says could have merit.

I don't so much think it's stress as it is peer pressure. How often have we heard a black kid get accused of " acting white" when he/she tries to excel? But I do think Julian may have a bigger point than many want to admit. He shut cutnpaste TFU anyway.

I don't so much think it's stress as it is peer pressure. How often have we heard a black kid get accused of " acting white" when he/she tries to excel? But I do think Julian may have a bigger point than many want to admit. He shut cutnpaste TFU anyway.

I agree about peer pressure. Peer pressure can be very stressful.

Yes, but honestly having a guy saying that hes gonna kill you cause your acting white doesn't cause PTSD, I've been threatended with my life many times, I don't have PTSD yet.

Also I agree that them not being in a good enviroment def has an effect, but PTSD to be the blame is a load of ********. I know guys who have returned from Iraq watched thier buddies get killed and do just fine, I've also seen 1 or 2 come back and just lose it. IMO its def not PTSD, not even close.

I'm purposely going to come out of my "self imposed break from this place" to reply in this thread......

1) Steve B's initial response was dead on accurate!

2) This experiment has sinister ulterior motives cloaked under the guise of "help." They are only glossing over the real problems that they (the powers that be) don't want to take ownership of and fix! 6 minutes is not going to cut it and is utter bu!!****!!!

GP, it appears to be nothing more than a glorified, segregated mentorship program, but Jimenez (to his credit), was honest about it! I participated (and have for years, even when I was in the military) in a mentorship program through my fraternity and church, and no matter what kind of inroads we/I make with these kids, the underlying (and sinister) problem(s) is/are always present. Notice how this cat continually refered to "the data" which was cause for pause in itself. Also note Jimenez's own words when referring to the School board on which he serves (that serves his children), note the part that I bolded.............

"As a parent of two children who enjoy the benefits and privileges of living in a great community and school district, I feel a strong responsibility to serve on the Board and work towards maintaining those opportunities for all of our children,"

You guys would be surprised how much that seemingly little bit of time everyday can help.

the principal is trying to help. stuff like this always gets flipped back on the person only trying to do good.

i heard a story about a mother who used a cousins address to have her kids enrolled into a better school, and now she is getting put in jail for felon charges.

this is one of the reasons why i would be okay with cappy idea on privatizing schools, because it would free up this mess. parents could enroll their kids into schools that are actually good.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh...that's exactly what they did, seperate the underperforming kids from the rest of the population for intensive instruction or whatever, just so happens that all of the kids were black.

So every underachiever in that school is Black?

Interesting

the principal is trying to help. stuff like this always gets flipped back on the person only trying to do good.

i heard a story about a mother who used a cousins address to have her kids enrolled into a better school, and now she is getting put in jail for felon charges.

this is one of the reasons why i would be okay with cappy idea on privatizing schools, because it would free up this mess. parents could enroll their kids into schools that are actually good.

I agree with you. I'm all for privatizing schools.

+1 post