Scheme plays a major role in evaluation process

hawkeye

MOBILE, Ala. — One key thing to keep in mind for fans that closely track the draft process is how big a role scheme plays in a team’s evaluation. For example, when defensive back prospects are graded, there is much more that goes into that than just their physical ability.

I have paid close attention to North Carolina’s Kendric Burney, and he has really impressed me in press coverage. He is very aggressive and has active hands. He is also able to change direction quickly with sudden movements. His back pedal, however, is just ok and he seems less comfortable in off coverage.

Colorado’s Jalil Brown, meanwhile, is not as good in press coverage as Burney, but demonstrates an ability to play off coverage.

As a result, a team that plays more press coverage could have Burney rated much higher than Brown, while a team that is predominantly in off coverage could prefer the former Buffalo.

Zone teams on the other hand are probably less inclined to take any of the defensive backs here. I have yet to see a thick, Cover 2 run-supporter in practice.

Make sure as you follow the draft process to not over-value rankings. A team’s scheme plays a larger role in its decision-making process.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/26/scheme-plays-a-major-role-in-evaluation-process/

Something TD talks about all the time. He uses the phrase "system fit."

Dunta was not bad. He was always in good coverage (Hence Grimes being targeted a league high 119 times). Yes he didn't get 10 INTs but he also didn't give up many TDs. That is what matters. He made a couple crucial mistakes but he is in a new system. Give him next year before you guys jump ship on the man.

I'd see if QBs just went straight at Dunta all game every game, that would be different. He had trouble when the play got extended. Grimes knows the system better than any other DB so he is comfortable when the play is extended. Most of the plays Rodgers made to DRob's side was after he dodged a sack and was flushed.

Makes me wander why we signed Dunta, cause he def is not accustomed to playing in a zone scheme.

TD and Smitty may be signaling that we will be moving towards more press coverage in the future. We may need a better pass rush from our D-line and, perhaps, another quick LB to move to such a scheme.

TD and Smitty may be signaling that we will be moving towards more press coverage in the future. We may need a better pass rush from our D-line and, perhaps, another quick LB to move to such a scheme.

BINGO! I remember when we played SD in preseason 09 and tried to stay in man coverage.This board went into meltdown mode. Dunta is perfect for a press cover scheme because of his physicality, but we need another true press corner before we can make that happen. Put Grimes in the nickel,get a legit LDE, and we are good to go.