DeMarco Murray getting good reviews.

FlyHighFalcons

My link

There are always a few players every year at the Senior Bowl that elevate their stock with an impressive performance. Last year it was offensive lineman Mike Iupati and this year that guy appears to be Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. Another player who's been getting noticed is Oklahoma RB DeMarco Murray.

Here's what Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Sports had to say:

Oklahoma scatback DeMarco Murray had caught my eye before, but I had been reluctant to place a full comparison to Kansas City's Jamaal Charles. on him because I hadn't seen enough inline power and explosion outside after contact. But today, I saw all of that. On one of his trademark quick bounces outside left, Murray took three tacklers with him a good five yards downfield after first contact. He's also showing more and more as a receiver - not just in the flats and quick-up routes you'd expect, but in quick slash cross patterns.

And ESPN's Todd McShay, who says he'll have to put on some weight but has looked solid.

But he has the best burst and was the most explosive of the North running backs. He hit a crease faster than the other backs. During one-on-one passing drills, he looks like a wide receiver. He runs crisp routes, knows how to separate, has strong hands and makes it look effortless.

Is it a little early for a Jamaal Charles comparison? Murray is projected to go in the second or third round (and Charles was a third round pick). It sounds like he's helping his draft position already and he still has the NFL Combine, which tends to like explosive players like him.

I want him to be our second round pick. Yes, we have more pressing needs. However, drafting purely for need isn't the way the winners do it, and it shouldn't be how we do it. I think Murray is going to be a great NFL running back.

He brings a lot to the table that we need:

A speedy running back (change of pace)

A RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield (Snelling can do this, but he lacks the speed needed on designed screens)

A 1-2 punch that would actually make Snelling expendable (while I prefer to keep Snelling even with Murray)

A replacement for Turner in two or three years.

6'1" 207 lbs. Good measurables for a runningback. He has the size of a runningback that could take on the full load if Turner does go down with an injury. I have a feeling that he is going to blow the combine out of the water as well as his draft day. I believe he will work himself into the late 1st early second round, so I am not sure we can afford to take him there.

I've always liked him.

Yes, he does have some injury concerns, but personally I don't think its too big of a problem.

This kid's burst is outstanding...reminds me of Jamal Charles (who I wanted). He can also run with power, and on top of that he can catch the ball very well. We need a back with speed, power, hands, and vision.

Murray fights the bill. I really hope TD brings this kid to the ATL.

He has no where close to the speed of Charles, that comparison is not a good one in this Oklahoma Fan's opinion.

However with all the love a change of pace back is getting in the new NFL, you have to be intrigued with the guy who holds the freaking TD record at OU. Sure he had more years to do it in, but missed a ton of games due to injury. In fact many suggest that the NC loss was in part due to the absence of Murray.

However there lies my biggest problem with him. He's had health issues. Now you can argue that all of his injuries were freak injuries and not typical wear and tear type things, still it's gotta make you nervous knowing the problems that come with losing a guy that you depend on in the backfield.

Edited by harveybirdman

I also believe that he will end up making himself a first or early second round pick. Trade down and get him? I just want him on the Falcons. If the Falcons can sign a legit DE and CB, then I would not mind us trading down into the early second and taking Murray with our first pick. It's still not the biggest need, but I think he is a steal if not taken in the top 15.

Take Titus young in the first and move up to get Murray in the second. Sign Edwards in FA. Problem solved.

I am really going to be livid if we don't take care of this defense this off season. We need a DE, LB, and nickle CB instead of using everything in the draft on WR and RB. Don't get me wrong I like Titus Young and DeMarco Murray but defense wins championships. Period. Something has got to give in free agency because we have too many needs to get everything in the draft alone.

I am really going to be livid if we don't take care of this defense this off season. We need a DE, LB, and nickle CB instead of using everything in the draft on WR and RB. Don't get me wrong I like Titus Young and DeMarco Murray but defense wins championships. Period. Something has got to give in free agency because we have too many needs to get everything in the draft alone.

We have more than one draft pick. We do need to address these problems, but drafting DEs almost never pans out for one or two years. We can sign a DE or CB or even a RB/WR. I'm just stating the Murray is a great RB, and I think he would be a huge upgrade to this offense. I don't know much about Titus Young, but I haven't seen him projected anywhere near the first yet.

We have more than one draft pick. We do need to address these problems, but drafting DEs almost never pans out for one or two years. We can sign a DE or CB or even a RB/WR. I'm just stating the Murray is a great RB, and I think he would be a huge upgrade to this offense. I don't know much about Titus Young, but I haven't seen him projected anywhere near the first yet.

Well we are too frugal in FA to make a dent in most of these defensive needs so we will see. The whole CBA thing is going to make a major impact on the draft I am afraid since I highly doubt we sign any major FA while all that is going on. If we are going to solidify major needs in the draft then defense has to be at the top of the heap IMO.

In a Perfect world I want our needs addressed like this..

FA:

DE (Top 2 FA available... If we don't get this IMHO the rest is pointless)

CB (Not a Superster I don't want an Aso I want a guy who is cheap and when he is on the field won't be exposed)

LB (Depth I would LOVE Chad Greenway but I believe we get one who is versitile and can cover all 3 positions)

Draft:

RB (A future starting RB(Not the guy in my sig) that can catch and has some speed)

WR (Probably our #1 overall pick)

RB's and WR's can come straight out of the Draft and produce while defensive players usually don't unless they are a top 10 pick so those needs I want in FA..

We are making our push for a Superbowl..

We need some playmakers on O which can be found in the draft because we already have an established O and just need 1 or 2 missing pieces.

But D we need playmakers and reliable guys and Rookies do not usually do that so I want proven players who wanna win a Championship...

If we can get Ray Edwards in FA then we can take Murray and Young to make our offense super explosive. Our biggest problems we pass rush pass D and explosiveness. Edwards would give us a solid LE. Murray would give us a very good cop back and Young is just a straight up problem for defenses.

Well we are too frugal in FA to make a dent in most of these defensive needs so we will see. The whole CBA thing is going to make a major impact on the draft I am afraid since I highly doubt we sign any major FA while all that is going on. If we are going to solidify major needs in the draft then defense has to be at the top of the heap IMO.

We will address our needs via Free Agency AND the draft. If defense wins championships, wouldn't you prefer solid veterans who have game speed/knowledge over (insert round draft pick straight out of college with no NFL experience)? I know I would. One name to keep your eye on when FA does in fact start up is Thomas Davis LB formerly of the Panthers. He is a free agent this year, and was a stud in Carolina. If there was any linebacker I could have this year it would be him. He's played within the division his entire career so facing the Bucs, Saints, and Panthers would be no problem for him.

In a Perfect world I want our needs addressed like this..

FA:

DE (Top 2 FA available... If we don't get this IMHO the rest is pointless)

CB (Not a Superster I don't want an Aso I want a guy who is cheap and when he is on the field won't be exposed)

LB (Depth I would LOVE Chad Greenway but I believe we get one who is versitile and can cover all 3 positions)

Draft:

RB (A future starting RB(Not the guy in my sig) that can catch and has some speed)

WR (Probably our #1 overall pick)

RB's and WR's can come straight out of the Draft and produce while defensive players usually don't unless they are a top 10 pick so those needs I want in FA..

We are making our push for a Superbowl..

We need some playmakers on O which can be found in the draft because we already have an established O and just need 1 or 2 missing pieces.

But D we need playmakers and reliable guys and Rookies do not usually do that so I want proven players who wanna win a Championship...

I would like to see your scenario come to fruition kane#7 but I believe the upcoming labor strife is going to impact a lot of decisions to come even our ability to hold on to our FA.

We will address our needs via Free Agency AND the draft. If defense wins championships, wouldn't you prefer solid veterans who have game speed/knowledge over (insert round draft pick straight out of college with no NFL experience)? I know I would. One name to keep your eye on when FA does in fact start up is Thomas Davis LB formerly of the Panthers. He is a free agent this year, and was a stud in Carolina. If there was any linebacker I could have this year it would be him. He's played within the division his entire career so facing the Bucs, Saints, and Panthers would be no problem for him.

I would rather have proven commodities when it comes to DE, LB, and nickle CB but I just don't see us being that big of a player in the free agency market and keeping our impending free agents intact.

I always like Thomas Davis until he was hurt again this past season. I just don't think he will be as effective after tearing the same ACL two years in a row. If we are going to pluck a prominent FA from Carolina I would rather have Charles Johnson.

looks like first round talent. His height could be an injury factor like Brandon Jacobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFs5HZwyng

I'm going to try to find some highlights against better/more athletic defenses.

This one from this year (yeah I know it's Texas) is a play that sticks out showing some of the ridiculous dexterity/athleticism he has.

He has no where close to the speed of Charles, that comparison is not a good one in this Oklahoma Fan's opinion.

However with all the love a change of pace back is getting in the new NFL, you have to be intrigued with the guy who holds the freaking TD record at OU. Sure he had more years to do it in, but missed a ton of games due to injury. In fact many suggest that the NC loss was in part due to the absence of Murray.

However there lies my biggest problem with him. He's had health issues. Now you can argue that all of his injuries were freak injuries and not typical wear and tear type things, still it's gotta make you nervous knowing the problems that come with losing a guy that you depend on in the backfield.

Speed and burst are two entirely separate things. I never compared Murray's speed with Charles'.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

And with the 27th pick of the 2nd round the Atlanta Falcons pick.........Demarco Murray :D

Bring him home TD ^_^

I have been looking at him and Noel Devine. But DeMarco Murray can be a running back or you could have say Norwood if we keep him lined up with turner in a 2 back set and DeMarco in the slot. With Roddy and Jenkins and Gonzalez.....oh yeah thats what I am talking about :D

And with the 27th pick of the 2nd round the Atlanta Falcons pick.........Demarco Murray :D

Bring him home TD ^_^

I have been looking at him and Noel Devine. But DeMarco Murray can be a running back or you could have say Norwood if we keep him lined up with turner in a 2 back set and DeMarco in the slot. With Roddy and Jenkins and Gonzalez.....oh yeah thats what I am talking about :D

I've been wanting Devine, but I don't think he might be the best pick for RB because Turner only has a few years left, so we're going to need to find someone that can be a change of pace and eventual replacement. Devine can't carry the load of an NFL offense, he would break in half.