Matt Ryan's ceiling = John Elway

Power I

I highly believe this is the point in Matt Ryan's career where he either goes on to greatness or he goes on to being merely serviceable. He made the Pro Bowl in just his third season. He's known for the comeback victory, much like Elway was. Also much like Elway, he's known in his early years as incapable of winning in the postseason.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's up to Matt Ryan as to which one of these quarterbacks he becomes. His legacy will be dictated by the moves that Thomas Dimitroff makes from here on out. Matt Ryan CAN win the Super Bowl. As a matter of fact, he can win many. He just needs the pieces around him to be able to do it. Elway couldn't win the big game until very late in his career, although he made the Super Bowl three times before finally winning two in a row.

If Dimitroff doesn't make the correct moves, Matt Ryan will wind up like Matt Hasselbeck. A serviceable quarterback who makes it to the Super Bowl, makes a couple of Pro Bowls, but will soon be forgotten once his playing days are done. He has the mental makeup to be Elway. He just needs the experience and the continued presence of players around him to be able to do it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt has everything it takes, but to realize this potential he'll need to be paired with an offensive thought leader and innovator. Joe Montana would fair no better under Mike Mularkey's current brand of offense and Montana and Ryan are very similar in style, ability and cognitive conditioning.

Ryan's success relies soley on TD to get him the best talent in every position on offense but that's going to be tough to do. He has the mental aspects of an Elway but the thing is Elway was a heck of an athlete with an arm while Ryan's athleticism is almost laughable compared to Elway.

The talent around him dictates how good he will be and not the other way around, that's what separates him from the likes of Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers.

Noodle arm in the same sentance as that guy with a cannon? Come on Man!!!!!!

"That guy with a canon" suffered 3 non competitive and humiliating (like what Green Bay did to Atlanta) defeats in the Super Bowl until later paired with the best running back in the game (Terrell Davis), an elite offensive line, and a stout, game changing defense. Give Matt Ryan these three things and I predict we'll be most please with the results.

"That guy with a canon" suffered 3 non competitive and humiliating (like what Green Bay did to Atlanta) defeats in the Super Bowl until later paired with the best running back in the game (Terrell Davis), an elite offensive line, and a stout, game changing defense. Give Matt Ryan these three things and I predict we'll be most please with the results.

So basically he has to have everything perfect to succeed? that's sound like an elite quarterback if the talent around you HAS to be elite in order to be good.

Sure Elway had to get all three of those to finally win but he at least made it there three times before that just off of talent alone.

Edited by Atl/0

I highly believe this is the point in Matt Ryan's career where he either goes on to greatness or he goes on to being merely serviceable. He made the Pro Bowl in just his third season. He's known for the comeback victory, much like Elway was. Also much like Elway, he's known in his early years as incapable of winning in the postseason.

Unfortunately, I don't believe it's up to Matt Ryan as to which one of these quarterbacks he becomes. His legacy will be dictated by the moves that Thomas Dimitroff makes from here on out. Matt Ryan CAN win the Super Bowl. As a matter of fact, he can win many. He just needs the pieces around him to be able to do it. Elway couldn't win the big game until very late in his career, although he made the Super Bowl three times before finally winning two in a row.

If Dimitroff doesn't make the correct moves, Matt Ryan will wind up like Matt Hasselbeck. A serviceable quarterback who makes it to the Super Bowl, makes a couple of Pro Bowls, but will soon be forgotten once his playing days are done. He has the mental makeup to be Elway. He just needs the experience and the continued presence of players around him to be able to do it.

Okay guys lets stop with the foolishness of comparing Ryan to legends. He has a weak arm. John Elway wouldnt have had three turnovers and threw for only 186 yds and 1 TD at home in the playoffs.

So basically he has to have everything perfect to succeed? that's sound like an elite quarterback if the talent around you HAS to be elite in order to be good.

Sure Elway had to get all three of those to finally win but he at least made it there three times before that just off of talent alone.

I don't disagree, but the point is the three games he lost was to a superior all around "team" and the two he won was because of a superior all around "team."

If QB talent alone worked then Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon would have a boat load of Rings! All of the great ones and multiple Super Bowl winners (Bradshaw, Star, Stauback, Montana, Aikman, etc.) had the same compliment of a great running back, great offensive line and an elite defense.

Right now Ryan has a good (at times great) RB, and average OL, and a below average defense. Give Ryan the necessities and then judge him!

Edited by Quarterback

I don't disagree, but the point is the three games he lost was to a superior all around "team" and the two he won was because of a superior all around "team."

If QB talent alone worked then Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon would have a boat load of Rings! All of the great ones and multiple Super Bowl winners (Bradshaw, Star, Stauback, Montana, Aikman, etc.) had the same compliment of a great running back, great offensive line and an elite defense.

Right now Ryan has a good (at times great) RB, and average OL, and a below average defense. Give Ryan the necessities and then judge him!

My point was that Elway, and the others that you have mentioned, were good enough on there own to lead there teams to victory even though some never got to the Super Bowl or even won it for that matter.

Manning: had many Receivers hurt and lacked a running game, average defense

Rodgers: Leading Running back injured, Pro bowl caliber TE injured, Weak oline

Brady: played with 5'8 receivers and a make shift running game, average defense

Brees: had 7 rbs injured, average defense

Vick: Garbage oline, weak interior defense

You know why even though these 5 qbs have weaknesses on there own team they still got as far as they did this year? It's because they are THAT GOOD.

Ryan has a pro bowl running back, pro bowl full back, pro bowl line man, pro bowl tight end, pro bowl returner, pro bowl corner, and All pros at defensive end and wide receiver and your saying we lack talent?

If you think we still need a lot more talent to help Ryan then all that says is that he's not good enough yet to even be talked about in comparison with any of the quarterbacks listed above that are great on their own.

Edited by Atl/0

My point was that Elway, and the others that you have mentioned, were good enough on there own to lead there teams to victory even though some never got to the Super Bowl or even one it for that matter.

Manning: had many Receivers hurt and lacked a running game, average defense

Rodgers: Leading Running back injured, Pro bowl caliber TE injured, Weak oline

Brady: played with 5'8 receivers and a make shift running game, average defense

Brees: had 7 rbs injured, average defense

Vick: Garbage oline, weak interior defense

You know why even though these 5 qbs have weaknesses on there own team they still got as far as they did this year? It's because they are THAT GOOD.

Ryan has a pro bowl running back, pro bowl full back, pro bowl line man, pro bowl tight end, pro bowl returner, pro bowl corner, and All pros at defensive end and wide receiver and your saying we lack talent?

If you think we still need a lot more talent to help Ryan then all that says is that he's not good enough yet to even be talked about in comparison with any of the quarterbacks listed above that are great on there own.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POINTING THIS OUT. Me personally dont think Ryan is good enough if people are crying about him needing more weapons when Vick did more for this team in a shorter period than Ryan with less talent. When i say Vick done more i mean his 3 seasons as starter we won a playoff game and went to the NFC game. Ryan choked both times he got to the playoffs.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POINTING THIS OUT. Me personally dont think Ryan is good enough if people are crying about him needing more weapons when Vick did more for this team in a shorter period than Ryan with less talent. When i say Vick done more i mean his 3 seasons as starter we won a playoff game and went to the NFC game. Ryan choked both times he got to the playoffs.

Don't start that mess please just leave that out of this conversation.

Some of you seem to have inferred that I meant he could be John Elway from a physical standpoint. That is incorrect. I meant he could be John Elway because he has the ability to leave behind a similar legacy. Matt Ryan has the ability to be "Captain Comeback" and take his team to five Super Bowls and win two.

I also brought up Elway because of the fact that he never won it before Terrell Davis. That's the point I'm trying to make. If Elway would have retired right before he made those two Super Bowls, he would still be considered a good quarterback from a historical standpoint. But it took the addition of talent around him to finally win it all. Regardless of what you want to say, quarterbacks need someone around them to win the Super Bowl. No one can do it alone. Dan Marino is case number one.

I really feel like Matt Ryan has the ability to leave behind a similar legacy. It's up to Dimitroff to put the pieces around him to make that happen. Matt Hasselbeck has never had elite talent around him outside of Shaun Alexander, coincidentally the year he made the Super Bowl, but he's been serviceable and by all accounts had a good career for himself. Matt has Pro Bowl talent around him, but he doesn't have the experience. The problem is that by the time he gains that experience he might lose talent like a Clabo, Gonzalez, and possibly even Roddy and Turner. That's why I say it's up to Dimitroff to continue to put the talent around him to win.

Some of you seem to have inferred that I meant he could be John Elway from a physical standpoint. That is incorrect. I meant he could be John Elway because he has the ability to leave behind a similar legacy. Matt Ryan has the ability to be "Captain Comeback" and take his team to five Super Bowls and win two.

I also brought up Elway because of the fact that he never won it before Terrell Davis. That's the point I'm trying to make. If Elway would have retired right before he made those two Super Bowls, he would still be considered a good quarterback from a historical standpoint. But it took the addition of talent around him to finally win it all. Regardless of what you want to say, quarterbacks need someone around them to win the Super Bowl. No one can do it alone. Dan Marino is case number one.

I really feel like Matt Ryan has the ability to leave behind a similar legacy. It's up to Dimitroff to put the pieces around him to make that happen. Matt Hasselbeck has never had elite talent around him outside of Shaun Alexander, coincidentally the year he made the Super Bowl, but he's been serviceable and by all accounts had a good career for himself. Matt has Pro Bowl talent around him, but he doesn't have the experience. The problem is that by the time he gains that experience he might lose talent like a Clabo, Gonzalez, and possibly even Roddy and Turner. That's why I say it's up to Dimitroff to continue to put the talent around him to win.

I totally understand what your saying I agreed with you with the mental aspect of his game. I also think that TD has to step up in getting him better players.

I can't speak for the others throwing shots at Ryan but I think that although he is good, he isn't what many are hyping him up to be on this board. I was just giving my opinion that he needs high level of talent around him since he isn't as talented as others that are in the league now or of those in the past. As of right now he isn't even close to being there but you never know what can happen 5 years from now.

this is so dumb, we are complaining about a QB that was ranked #1 against the blitz in the NFL. that had career highs in TD and INTs thrown. 3-1 TD to INT ratio.

u guys need to give the kid a break.

was it his fault the packers never punted once in the playoff game?

If you read my post in the article from the AJC about our offense, you'd know my stance on it. I want to make this point perfectly clear:

Matt Ryan had a great season for us.

Unfortunately times have changed in the NFL. You can rely on the run to win you games and clearly that worked out well for us. But the league seems to be shifting towards the passing game and it's no coincidence that Green Bay looked dominant against us while we fell flat. It's about getting hot at the right time with the right game plan, we failed at that.

I also want to point out that it doesn't necessarily mean the "talent" around Matt Ryan begins and ends with backs, receivers, and linemen. It also has to do with schemes.

While John Elway never won the Super Bowl until Terrell Davis, he also never won it until Mike Shanahan.

this is so dumb, we are complaining about a QB that was ranked #1 against the blitz in the NFL. that had career highs in TD and INTs thrown. 3-1 TD to INT ratio.

u guys need to give the kid a break.

was it his fault the packers never punted once in the playoff game?

Was it his fault for the defenses suckage? no

Was it his fault for turning the ball over 3 times, twice in field goal range? You **** right he is

Hasselbeck did get his team to a Super Bowl, so is that really an insult to say at worst he is that good.

Some don't like Ryan being compared to Hasselback because he isn't considered "great" like Manning or Brady. Comparing him to anyone else is other than those two or any hall of famer is blasphemy and your either a Ryan hater or a Vick troll.

Edited by Atl/0

Hasselbeck did get his team to a Super Bowl, so is that really an insult to say at worst he is that good.

That shouldn't be understated either. I'm not saying that playing your career out as Matt Hasselbeck is an insult or it makes you a bad player. It doesn't. From a personal standpoint, when Hasselbeck hangs it up, he'll be able to look proudly back on his time as a quarterback. It's just that he won't go down in history as one of the elites and his highlights won't be played years later. I don't feel like looking up the stats, but I'm sure he's one of the greatest in his team's history. He just won't be one of the greatest in league history. There's a big difference there.