Falcons New Running Back Hershel Walker?

TheRidder

Not being a homer or anything but have any of you seen him lately? I would have to agree that he is in better shape now than when he was 20. He is ripped and cut. He has another mma fight coming up in a couple weeks. He has been training hard for these fights. Not saying we should get him but dude is fit for sure.

Herchel said he would like to play for either the Falcons or Vikings~

He also said he would still run under a 4.5 -40 yard dash

herschel%20walker%20MMA_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

Pretty sure,

Ovie would let him wear the 34 jersey for a year or two!

Just like Ricky and GONZO,

they all can play forever,

because of their workouts and Diets

OK, I’ll answer this topic somewhat genuinely: Hershel Walker as a Falcons running back? Get real. No serious team would sign Walker with the intentions of his playing regularly for an entire season. If any NFL team did sign him, it would be purely for box-office and publicity. If Walker did play regularly, he wouldn’t last the season. All of this is just another diversion in the pre-Super Bowl doldrums.

OK, I’ll answer this topic somewhat genuinely: Hershel Walker as a Falcons running back? Get real. No serious team would sign Walker with the intentions of his playing regularly for an entire season. If any NFL team did sign him, it would be purely for box-office and publicity. If Walker did play regularly, he wouldn’t last the season. All of this is just another diversion in the pre-Super Bowl doldrums.

Yep.

I do not want the media circus that would come with signing... Hershel Walker. Weird to even type that.

I am the biggest Hershel Walker fan out there. I really like this guy and followed his career from day one in college. If he were a 25 or 30 year old this would not be an issue, he would be invited to every training camp no questions. Herschel was the best college running back, ever. No disputing that I don't think. He was an absolute monster. I hated him going to the USFL, but he destroyed the competition there. And the USFL was a good league, not like Football Europe. I don't know if many people remember him almost making the '84 olympic team in the 100. I remember watching the trials and he just finished out of making the team, I think he was something like the second or third alternate. He made the '94 winter olympic team in the two man bobsled and they finshed 8th or 9th I think. He also is a high degree black belt in some form of martial arts. He was/is huge, powerful and fast.

Now he is 48 (49 the day camp opens). The first question is could he perform at the NFL level. I think he probably could. Maybe not as a starter, but for sure as a second string or platoon (change of pace back). Hershel had shoulder problems through his career, so they move him to the slot to keep him from taking a beating on that shoulder (I think he had three or four surgeries). He is still faster than the average back (sub 4.5 time), he is still pretty big (220 pounds). He ranks in the top ten in rushing yards and total yards (he was a running back, return man and reciever). Teams would line him up at WR because he could run past CB's and they feared him catching the ball in the open field. Hershel was what Bush wishes he could be.

The second question is can he hold up at 48. I think he could as a change of pace back, yes. He fights MMA for god sake and is in remarkable shape. He's not 25 so would take a little longer to heal, but used in moderation he would be a monster.

Think of it this way. Forget his age for a minute. Hershel has great hands and is faster as Turner and bigger than Norwood was. With his experience and using him on 7 - 12 plays a game he would be a huge threat. Plus, Hershel was a great blocker too. You could line him up anywhere on the field and he would produce.

I'm not saying go running out and sign him, but I would invite him to camp just to see what he has left and if he could take the pounding. Sign him to a vet minimum contract and see what happens. More than likely he won't make it, but if he did and had anything left.... Remember this is the guy that was once traded from Dallas to the Vikings for 5 starting defensive players and six draft picks. For one guy.

Edited by schwarzenegger321

I can't picture Walker being part of our process. Looking over his stats for the last three years of his NFL career ... he gained 229 yards in 47 attempts (TOTAL FOR THREE YEARS!). He had better stats as a receiver.

Can we put this to rest now?

4.57 ypc. Jeez, what do you want? IMO just invite him to camp and go from there.