Heath Evans, others say Drew Brees played with torn MCL

Sean Payton, get your injury report fine money ready

As the debate continues regarding the Jay Cutler MCL tear/sprain/whatever, word has emerged that another fairly high-profile quarterback of whom you may have heard played with a torn/sprained/whatevered MCL during the season.

Saints fullback Heath Evans, who filled in Monday as the Skip Bayless foil on ESPN2′s First Take, got the ball rolling by explaining that Saints quarterback Drew Brees played for six weeks with a torn MCL.

“Sorry Drew, I love you, but Drew Brees played six weeks with a torn MCL,’’ Evans said, per Brian Allee-Walsh of NewOrleans.com. “I know what Drew Brees did with a torn MCL.’’

In early October, Ed Werder of ESPN reported that Brees indeed had a “minor” MCL sprain.

“It wasn’t a mystery that his knee was bothering him and he was wearing a brace for a few weeks,” Saints tackle Jon Stinchcomb told NewOrleans.Com. “Drew was able to play through it. He’s a tough guy. In no way am I saying that he’s tough and Jay Cutler is not. I don’t want to make that comparison. I’ve never played with Jay nor am I condemning the fact that he left the game yesterday.

“But we were aware about Drew’s knee. But it’s not our position to speak on another player’s injury.”

And so we’ll ask Drew about it in a PFT Live interview that airs (or whatever these things do when they’re played over the Internet) tomorrow.

Heck, even coach Sean Payton joined the chorus, telling reporters at the Senior Bowl that Brees indeed suffered a “low-grade MCL sprain.”

It’s a far cry from what Payton said during the season. “There’s no situation,” Payton insisted only three days after Brees injured the knee against the Falcons in Week Three. “His knee is sore from the game. There’s no specific injury other than that he has soreness. We didn’t put him on the report. He took all the reps. There’s not an injury to report. I was pleased with how he functioned. He functioned fine. It’s something that as the week goes on, I think he’ll have no problem with and he did a real good job in all the team stuff today.”

On the injury report, Brees’ name appeared three times — Week Five, Week Six, Week Seven — with a knee injury. He did not appear on the injury report in Week Four, the first game after the non-situation injury happened.

All MCL sprains aren’t alike, however. Brees’ low-grade sprain and Jay Cutler’s reportedly Grade II sprain are very different injuries. So the real news is that Brees had a knee injury about which the team wasn’t necessarily as open as it could or should have been, given that Evans says Brees played with the injury for six weeks.

And given that Payton initially denied that an injury happened. And given that the Saints left him off the injury report for one full week after he suffered the injury, and given that Brees ultimately appeared on the injury report only three times for his supposed six-week injury.

If you listed EVERY minor sprain, bump and bruise, your injury report would have 53 men on it every week and nobody would even listen. If he didn't miss practice, end of story.

You don't do a very good job of living up to your name.

A torn mcl isn't a minor sprain. LOL, I can understand how you got confused though. You guys don't have to deal with these kinds of things playing chess.

IDK guys. I think this whole thing is just blowing up the wrong way. Jay Cutler has said that the medical staff were the ones who decided to pull him, and I think a lot of people are refusing to comment on that.

Regardless, all of these guys play football and they've been banged up and bumped and bruised for almost all of their lives. They are very aware of these types of injuries and it kinda' shocks me to see the way some of these guys are wanting to blast Cutler. I can assure you that when you start discussing torn ACLs, MCLs, PCLs that there are different types of tears that you can have.

I had a minor tear in my MCL my senior season in high school, and I was completely fine to walk and run on it, so I decided to play on it also. Well, as you can guess, I ended up tearing it more severely and I pretty much ended up missing the whole season anyways; however, now I have a bum knee and even though it's healed, it still acts up on occasion. Sometimes, when I'm running or playing basketball or something of that nature, my knee will "lock" and it doesn't hurt, but it scares me every time it does it, because I think I'm about to mess something up. It also hurts like **** on rainy days. That was 4 years ago that I tore my MCL, and while it has gotten better, the first 2 years following it were a lot worse and I would often wake up in the morning with a sharp, tingling, soreness in my knee.

I highly doubt it, it was probably a very minor tear. He was still very mobile during the "time period" that this happened.

It's obvious you never had an mcl injury. You can run in a straight line fine. Trying to move laterally is very very painful. He had a grade 2 sprain. Meaning his mcl was very close to being torn.

It's obvious you never had an mcl injury. You can run in a straight line fine. Trying to move laterally is very very painful. He had a grade 2 sprain. Meaning his mcl was very close to being torn.

Never had i've ****** up my ACL before, but like I said Brees was still pretty mobile during that period.

Sean Payton, get your injury report fine money ready

As the debate continues regarding the Jay Cutler MCL tear/sprain/whatever, word has emerged that another fairly high-profile quarterback of whom you may have heard played with a torn/sprained/whatevered MCL during the season.

Saints fullback Heath Evans, who filled in Monday as the Skip Bayless foil on ESPN2′s First Take, got the ball rolling by explaining that Saints quarterback Drew Brees played for six weeks with a torn MCL.

“Sorry Drew, I love you, but Drew Brees played six weeks with a torn MCL,’’ Evans said, per Brian Allee-Walsh of NewOrleans.com. “I know what Drew Brees did with a torn MCL.’’

In early October, Ed Werder of ESPN reported that Brees indeed had a “minor” MCL sprain.

“It wasn’t a mystery that his knee was bothering him and he was wearing a brace for a few weeks,” Saints tackle Jon Stinchcomb told NewOrleans.Com. “Drew was able to play through it. He’s a tough guy. In no way am I saying that he’s tough and Jay Cutler is not. I don’t want to make that comparison. I’ve never played with Jay nor am I condemning the fact that he left the game yesterday.

“But we were aware about Drew’s knee. But it’s not our position to speak on another player’s injury.”

And so we’ll ask Drew about it in a PFT Live interview that airs (or whatever these things do when they’re played over the Internet) tomorrow.

Heck, even coach Sean Payton joined the chorus, telling reporters at the Senior Bowl that Brees indeed suffered a “low-grade MCL sprain.”

It’s a far cry from what Payton said during the season. “There’s no situation,” Payton insisted only three days after Brees injured the knee against the Falcons in Week Three. “His knee is sore from the game. There’s no specific injury other than that he has soreness. We didn’t put him on the report. He took all the reps. There’s not an injury to report. I was pleased with how he functioned. He functioned fine. It’s something that as the week goes on, I think he’ll have no problem with and he did a real good job in all the team stuff today.”

On the injury report, Brees’ name appeared three times — Week Five, Week Six, Week Seven — with a knee injury. He did not appear on the injury report in Week Four, the first game after the non-situation injury happened.

All MCL sprains aren’t alike, however. Brees’ low-grade sprain and Jay Cutler’s reportedly Grade II sprain are very different injuries. So the real news is that Brees had a knee injury about which the team wasn’t necessarily as open as it could or should have been, given that Evans says Brees played with the injury for six weeks.

And given that Payton initially denied that an injury happened. And given that the Saints left him off the injury report for one full week after he suffered the injury, and given that Brees ultimately appeared on the injury report only three times for his supposed six-week injury.

Clearly, these clowns just want to eat more peanuts out of drews $hit. and so they manufacture a crock of it so they can say breezy had both legs reattached at the half... will it ever end... The guy had a sore knee... who gives a flyin peanut.