Could the Falcons pull a "Logan Mankins" this year

Red Rain

In 2005, the Pats surprised everyone by taking OG Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

Belichick always cites value when explaining his team's selections, but NFLdraftscout.com projected Mankins as a late-second or third round prospect, so New England may have reached to acquire him at the end of the first. But since they picked at the bottom of each round, the Patriots clearly felt it too risky to wait until the 64th pick to take Mankins and made sure they landed the man they wanted. One has to wonder, though, if they could have moved back to take Mankins while acquiring more trade ammunition to move up from 64 and potentially get two middle-of-the-second-round picks, a scenario they must have thought was not possible.

I'm not saying the Falcons will reach for a player at 27, but at times the Pats have been known to make what (at the time) seem to be odd picks. TD comes from that draft culture.

With no obvious player jumping out as the player the Falcons need to pick. this may be the year the Falcons make a NE style odd pick. Maybe this is the year we'll take a Pouncy or Ingram in the 1st, and have everyone go "huh?"

In 2005, the Pats surprised everyone by taking OG Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

Belichick always cites value when explaining his team's selections, but NFLdraftscout.com projected Mankins as a late-second or third round prospect, so New England may have reached to acquire him at the end of the first. But since they picked at the bottom of each round, the Patriots clearly felt it too risky to wait until the 64th pick to take Mankins and made sure they landed the man they wanted. One has to wonder, though, if they could have moved back to take Mankins while acquiring more trade ammunition to move up from 64 and potentially get two middle-of-the-second-round picks, a scenario they must have thought was not possible.

I'm not saying the Falcons will reach for a player at 27, but at times the Pats have been known to make what (at the time) seem to be odd picks. TD comes from that draft culture.

With no obvious player jumping out as the player the Falcons need to pick. this may be the year the Falcons make a NE style odd pick. Maybe this is the year we'll take a Pouncy or Ingram in the 1st, and have everyone go "huh?"

Whenver you have a "reach" in the draft, it's usually just because the Mel Kipers and Todd McShays of the world missed on their evaluations, not because the team really reached. This year some of those guys said Peters was a reach, but he wasn't.

I mean, obviously BB and his staff were right about Mankins.

This is a guy I feel may be a Manins type pick ......Demarcus Love Arkansas..possibly the best pass protecting OT in the draft, can handle speed rushers ..he prolly go late first or early second, I think this guy will be a beast of an NFL LT .....

demarcus_love_01.jpg

This is a guy I feel may be a Manins type pick ......Demarcus Love Arkansas..possibly the best pass protecting OT in the draft, can handle speed rushers ..he prolly go late first or early second, I think this guy will be a beast of an NFL LT .....

demarcus_love_01.jpg

I was thinking of maybe:

Nate Solder (LT-Colorado, projected 2nd-3rd)

WR Torry Smith of Maryland

Dimitroff was head of college scouting in NE at the time...just sayin' ;)

Yep, that's what got me thinking we may see an unusual pick early (that and TD repeatedly saying we need "more explosiveness--of course, he could just be blowing smoke).

It's pretty clear form the Falcons mid and late round picks that they trust their internal evaluations more than any player hype. After all, they have taken some head-scratching picks at times.