Trashing the strengths and foundation of our team...

maxatlanta

Here's all the things that need fixing. I'm sure I missed some, so don't hesitate to add the ones I've overlooked--

Smitty and MM won Sporting News Head Coach & OC of the Year. Pat Y says we have the best staff in the NFL. But according to these boards our staff is inadequate.

Ryan has led us to 3 straight winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances, ROY and now a probowl appearance based on the votes of players and coaches around the league(he was 4th in fan voting). But many are calling for his head because he has a noodle arm and chokes.

Jenkins put up good numbers for a number 2 receiver(after missing the first third of the season). He has size, speed, and is an outstanding blocker in the run game. But many want him gone because he isn't Dez Bryant or Vincent Jackson. Apparently having a number 2 receiver is unacceptable, we can only win if we have two number ones.

Turner is heading to Hawaii and ranked among the top RBs in the league. But his lack of speed means we can't win with him failing to break off the big gainer every week.

Lofton just doesn't cut it either. We need a true every down MLB. Like Ryan on the other side of the ball, He just is too much of a liability in passing situations. Lets not get caught up in the fact that teams ran all over our us when he was taken off the field(nickel pkg) in 08. Our MLB is the main reason our pass defense struggled these last 3 seasons.

McClure doesn't hold up at the point of attack, his time has past.

TD just doesn't know how to draft and develop talent. This incompetent disaster of a team has his fingerprints all over it. What a disappointment our team has been considering that he could have drafted Dorsey & Brohm, and failed to hit on every draft pick he's made. We were clearly on a path to greatness when he arrived and he has ruined it with his injury prone, non all pro additions.

Lastly, it is completely unreasonable to think that young players will improve. QBs, DEs, and DTs in this league are never slow to develop and if they aren't probowlers in their first 3 seasons then it just isn't going to happen. Ryan, Biermann, Baker, Lofton, HD, & Jerry have obviously hit their ceiling so lets just cut our losses and get some playmakers to replace them.

How did we ever manage to get so lucky and put up 3 winning seasons with this rag tag group of underperforming coaches and players? It is mind boggling to hear our owner talk about us as if we are a successful team, when we haven't even won a single Superbowl with the current regime in place. Like Ricky Bobby said, "If you aint first, you're last."

Guest AtlWhite84

lmao @ Sporting News Offensive Coordinator of the Year.

Who the **** cares about that? Who even votes on that, sports writers? Such a dumb award.

"Oh so and so won the Wal-Mart Vision Center Defensive Backs Coach Of The Year Award!!"

Can we please stop bringing up this Sporting News thing like it means anything?

Who the **** cares about that? Who even votes on that, sports writers? Such a dumb award.

The magazine surveyed 617 NFL players, coaches and executives to determine the awards and their all-pro team.

bs-Flag.gif

Once again you prove that you're an idiot! At what point do you just give up, and admit that you suck at life?

Smitty and MM won Sporting News Head Coach & OC of the Year. Pat Y says we have the best staff in the NFL. But according to these boards our staff is inadequate.

Is sporting news the official COTY award. If not then it means nothing. They are good coaches and get 100% out of the players but they act like its still the 1990's. The league is beginning to be more pass oriented and were still running this conservative dink n dunk offense

Ryan has led us to 3 straight winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances, ROY and now a probowl appearance based on the votes of players and coaches around the league(he was 4th in fan voting). But many are calling for his head because he has a noodle arm and chokes.

No one is calling for Ryan's head but most are pointing out that

1. he's not elite yet

2. His deep ball sucks and he needs to work on it.

He has a enough arm to make all the throws but it isn't all that good so stop trying to deny it.

Jenkins put up good numbers for a number 2 receiver(after missing the first third of the season). He has size, speed, and is an outstanding blocker in the run game. But many want him gone because he isn't Dez Bryant or Vincent Jackson. Apparently having a number 2 receiver is unacceptable, we can only win if we have two number ones.

If your a reciever and your best quality is your blocking then that's a big problem don't you think?

Turner is heading to Hawaii and ranked among the top RBs in the league. But his lack of speed means we can't win with him failing to break off the big gainer every week.

Turner is a good bruising back but this is 2011 not 1994. We need another back here that can bust a big one either rushing or receiving. Defenders laugh when they see Turner lined up at receiver because they know he's not all that good at it.

Lofton just doesn't cut it either. We need a true every down MLB. Like Ryan on the other side of the ball, He just is too much of a liability in passing situations. Lets not get caught up in the fact that teams ran all over our us when he was taken off the field(nickel pkg) in 08. Our MLB is the main reason our pass defense struggled these last 3 seasons.

Lofton is a tackling machine, that's it. You know what separates him from Patrick Willis? Big plays. He is solid force when it comes to stopping the run but he doesn't force many fumbles, or sacks, or interceptions. You know why he's not on the field in the nickle package? Because he can't frickin cover! He's good and not saying to replace him but don't act like he's the greatest.

McClure doesn't hold up at the point of attack, his time has past.

He's old and we need to groom someone to take his place in the future

TD just doesn't know how to draft and develop talent. This incompetent disaster of a team has his fingerprints all over it. What a disappointment our team has been considering that he could have drafted Dorsey & Brohm, and failed to hit on every draft pick he's made. We were clearly on a path to greatness when he arrived and he has ruined it with his injury prone, non all pro additions.

TD made some nice picks but he's isn't as good as you hype him to be. For someone who specialized in scouting corners why is it that our secondary is still suspect? He also drafted Jerry when Clay Matthews was still on the Board...great choice right?

Lastly, it is completely unreasonable to think that young players will improve. QBs, DEs, and DTs in this league are never slow to develop and if they aren't probowlers in their first 3 seasons then it just isn't going to happen. Ryan, Biermann, Baker, Lofton, HD, & Jerry have obviously hit their ceiling so lets just cut our losses and get some playmakers to replace them.

No one said to cut bait but the talent level is not elite like you want it to be yet. If you want people to stop digging into players then don't over hype them and trying to put them on level they are clearly not at. It's like trying to compare Joe Johnson to Kobe Bryant and then you wonder why people call you out on how stupid it is to even attempt it.

How did we ever manage to get so lucky and put up 3 winning seasons with this rag tag group of underperforming coaches and players? It is mind boggling to hear our owner talk about us as if we are a successful team, when we haven't even won a single Superbowl with the current regime in place. Like Ricky Bobby said, "If you aint first, you're last."

Like it or not most fans outside of ours and the media think we lucked into the #1 seed this year. The 2008 season we had an easy schedule. 2009 most thought we came back to Earth.

Bottom line it seems like your getting upset that others don't view this team through homer shades like you. This team has had success the past few years and have some solid pieces to build on, but it's not an elite team and it still needs to improve. Let them grow and continue to get better and stop trying to rush them to Elite status when they aren't and you won't have people being so negative. It's like its to hard to be a realist around here geesh.

Edited by Atl/0

"Oh so and so won the Wal-Mart Vision Center Defensive Backs Coach Of The Year Award!!"

Here's the last 10 people to win the award. All but one ended up coaching their team to a Superbowl(Smith is still TBD). 8 out of 10 reaching the Superbowl is evidence that the voters are actually very good at identifying the top coaches. Why the hate for such a reliable indicator of good coaching?

1998 Dan Reeves, Atlanta

1999 **** Vermeil, St. Louis

2000 Andy Reid, Philadelphia

2001 **** Jauron, Bears

2002 Andy Reid, Philadelphia

2003 Bill Belichick, New England

2004 Bill Cowher, Pittsburgh

2005 Tony Dungy, Indianapolis

2006 Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints

2007 Bill Belichick, New England

2008 Mike Smith, Atlanta

2009 Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints

Remember, this award is given out before the post season. I only see 1 guy who they got wrong over the last 12 years.

Guest AtlWhite84

Bottom line it seems like your getting upset that others don't view this team through homer shades like you. This team has had success the past few years and have some solid pieces to build on, but it's not an elite team and it still needs to improve. Let them grow and continue to get better and stop trying to rush them to Elite status when they aren't and you won't have people being so negative. It's like its to hard to be a realist around here geesh.

Here's the thing: This is Atlanta. Atlanta fans have always done this.

Bobby Cox should have probably been fired 8-9 years ago but Atlanta fans are so quick to settle for mediocrity because the sports history in this city has been so pathetic. "ZOMG DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW BAD IT WAS BEFORE BOBBY COX GOT HERE!?!?!?!" THAT is the constant response to any criticism of Bobby Cox, that we sucked horribly before he got here, as if that somehow gives the Braves a pass to wallow in mediocrity for years while getting bounced from the 1st round of the playoffs year after year after year.

Now, Smith & Company come in and deliver 3 straight winning seasons, which while everybody else here jumps up and down and rubs jelly and powdered sugar in their hair for having a winning record in 3 straight years, the majority of NFL fans are laughing at us for doing something that a countless number of teams have done before.

But it's SO new to us and sustained success is SO foreign to this fanbase, that people don't want to see ANYTHING change and think that there are zero problems with the team. They just want to see a higher number in the W column than they do the L column, ignoring the fact that the ONLY thing that matters in this league is what you do in the posteason.

You don't necessarily have to win the Super Bowl, because that takes all the stars aligning and you putting everything together on one night, but you've GOT to win playoff games, especially when you're the #1 seed and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. That's what legacy in this league is built on, and the sports teams in this city will never rise to that occasion until the fans start demanding more of the teams here instead of being satisfied with mediocrity and having a pretty record in the regular season.

Guest AtlWhite84

:lol::lol: You're advocating public suicide due to comments made on an internet message board about a professional sports team?

Please, for the sake of all that is right in this world, re-order your priorities. If you can't do that, at least vow to not have children.

I don't run around making claims that aren't backed up by evidence. "Let them grow" is exactly my point. We don't have many weak links, though like everyone else we aren't the best team in the league either. I just find it irritating to see so many posts about replacing players, FO, and coaches who are core contributors to our success. I come on here to read and talk about this team and it is far less rewarding when 2 out of three threads are like that.

Bobby Cox should have probably been fired 8-9 years ago but Atlanta fans are so quick to settle for mediocrity because the sports history in this city has been so pathetic. "ZOMG DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW BAD IT WAS BEFORE BOBBY COX GOT HERE!?!?!?!" THAT is the constant response to any criticism of Bobby Cox, that we sucked horribly before he got here, as if that somehow gives the Braves a pass to wallow in mediocrity for years while getting bounced from the 1st round of the playoffs year after year after year.

Now, Smith & Company come in and deliver 3 straight winning seasons, which while everybody else here jumps up and down and rubs jelly and powdered sugar in their hair for having a winning record in 3 straight years, the majority of NFL fans are laughing at us for doing something that a countless number of teams have done before.

But it's SO new to us and sustained success is SO foreign to this fanbase, that people don't want to see ANYTHING change and think that there are zero problems with the team. They just want to see a higher number in the W column than they do the L column, ignoring the fact that the ONLY thing that matters in this league is what you do in the posteason.

You don't necessarily have to win the Super Bowl, because that takes all the stars aligning and you putting everything together on one night, but you've GOT to win playoff games, especially when you're the #1 seed and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. That's what legacy in this league is built on, and the sports teams in this city will never rise to that occasion until the fans start demanding more of the teams here instead of being satisfied with mediocrity and having a pretty record in the regular season.

I totally agree with you on this. bolded was kinda fun but true at the same time :(

I don't run around making claims that aren't backed up by evidence. "Let them grow" is exactly my point. We don't have many weak links, though like everyone else we aren't the best team in the league either. I just find it irritating to see so many posts about replacing players, FO, and coaches who are core contributors to our success. I come on here to read and talk about this team and it is far less rewarding when 2 out of three threads are like that.

Look at the front page most of the threads are trying to defend Ryan's arm and comparing him to Manning and Brady to justify the butt whooping we took. The only ones asking for trades and stuff are coming from one person and I think he's banned now.

There are also threads like this one whining about others having a different opinion on how good this team is and where we need to improve. I'm sorry it's not a love fest but we got beat by 27 last week in our own home so don't expect a lot of homer but kissing for a while.

Guest AtlWhite84

Is it not painfully obvious to you how much different our team looks compared to the final four teams remaining?

What are the common threads that tie every one of these teams together?

Incredible defense and explosion on offense.

What do we not have? An incredible defense and explosion on offense. All we are discussing are different ways for us to acquire those things. Some people don't like the assistant coaches, some people don't some of the players, and some people just think we could be better served to have different people in their place.

What is the problem with that? Because we went 13-3 nobody is supposed to have complaints? Is that supposed to all of the sudden erase the fact that we still have major holes on this team? Yeah, going 13-3 with an easy schedule is nice and everything, but look what happened when we faced a team with far superior talent in the playoffs. We got ran out of our own stadium on national television.

How could you POSSIBLY want everything to stay the same after watching that horrid performance? Because we're "young" or because "ZOMG DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW BAD IT WAS BEFORE MIKE SMITH GOT HERE?!?!?!?!"?

Same old, same old from Atlanta fans. Get a little success and suddenly everyone becomes untouchable.

AtlWhite84, I would quote your long post but I don't want to clutter this place. I agree with just about everything you said in it. The city of Atlanta hasn't really had much success. As a sports city we have 1 championship (Atlanta Braves) between all the franchises. In regard to the Falcons and everyone in love with what we have done so far it's hard to not be in love. We had never had back to back winning seasons. Sure we have gone to the superbowl and the NFC Championship game, but the next season after those great runs were tankers. We were never consistent. I will take 3 years of VAST improvement over the up and down seasons that plagued us for so long. Do I think this team can win 13 games next year, no it's highly doubtful. We have the benefit of going up against the NFC West this year, and had some EXTREMELY lucky breaks. However, I do believe that this team can win AT LEAST 10 games next year and reach the playoffs again. It will only be a matter of time before this team gets used to the big time spotlight and we will execute and win in the playoffs. We just have to give them time. We've given them three years so far and they have improved every season.

Is it not painfully obvious to you how much different our team looks compared to the final four teams remaining?

What are the common threads that tie every one of these teams together?

Incredible defense and explosion on offense.

What do we not have? An incredible defense and explosion on offense. All we are discussing are different ways for us to acquire those things. Some people don't like the assistant coaches, some people don't some of the players, and some people just think we could be better served to have different people in their place.

What is the problem with that? Because we went 13-3 nobody is supposed to have complaints? Is that supposed to all of the sudden erase the fact that we still have major holes on this team? Yeah, going 13-3 with an easy schedule is nice and everything, but look what happened when we faced a team with far superior talent in the playoffs. We got ran out of our own stadium on national television.

How could you POSSIBLY want everything to stay the same after watching that horrid performance? Because we're "young" or because "ZOMG DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW BAD IT WAS BEFORE MIKE SMITH GOT HERE?!?!?!?!"?

Same old, same old from Atlanta fans. Get a little success and suddenly everyone becomes untouchable.

:o GET EM!!

This post is full of ownage.

Edited by Atl/0

I just gave you a +1.

True fans know where their team needs to improve and aren't afraid to admit so. You have to be blind or naive to not be able to sense something has to change in Atlanta's organization. How many franchises in the NFL have had 3 winning seasons.....A lot. So while this is a great point to argue it isn't that spectacular. Look at Andy Reid im sure he is considered a great coach he has surely won awards and accolades, but he still has yet to win a Super Bowl even with all of the great seasons and expectations in Philly year after year.I for one was disgraced to see my team go out like they did in their first playoff game. They were dismantled on defense and you can sit here and tell me fans are wrong for speaking their mind cmon what game did you watch or better yet what defense were you looking at all season long to believe we were ever elite and not in need of any changes.

What team doesn't need to improve???

I think the OP has just pointed out how alot are not looking at the big picture here.

If we sucked so much how the H*ll did we manage to win 33 games in the last 3 seasons.

All I have taken out of what the OP has said as its not as bad as it seems so we are'nt quite there yet we are a alot further down the road than about 80-85% of the league.

Patience is a virtue we are being built for the long haul not some flash in the pan stuff that we have become accustomed to so as above I will be patient and I'm pretty sure TD & MS make the correct moves in the draft and FA to get us over the hump.

All I know is I can't stand this board right now. It absolutely sucks...because every other thread is about how terrible we are or how smith needs to be fired, or so and so needs to be fired, I'm sick of it.

None of this was being talked about before the greenbay game..in fact it was all butt kissing and praises but suddenly they are all trash and should be tossed because of one game. No matter how painful it was, you shouldn't just trash everyone but atlanta fans, as is usually the case with sports fans in general, are so wishy washy and in general aren't very smart, you end up getting just truck loads of crap being posted.

It really is pathetic. I wish our city and our fans were different. I wish we would be smarter than to realize you don't suddenly dismantle a team's staff that has put together so many wins in 3 years and turned an organization in the gutter into something worth talking about, or a QB who has has as many wins in his first 3 years as marino.

All we have anymore is a huge group of people who want to whine, cry, and complain endlessly. It's sad, it's not productive, and it's frustrating as h*ll. And to think if there is a lockout, there will be 2 years of this crap going on in this forum. God help us.