Merryl Hodge shocked on how the Falcons D played Rodgers

falcon22

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic coaching failure, and historically ranking among the worst by a 13-3, #1 seed team.

I'll admit, I'm much more impulsive than your average bird. Still, after sitting on it a week, I would do today what I would have done within 24 hours after the game--thank BVG for his contributions and began an immediate search for a DC that better prepares for and can adjust during such a vital game. That 2nd half opening drive destroyed all hope...and we did nothing differently to curb this!

Utterly embarrassing!

Edited by Quarterback

yep lets just pray they only are keeping BVG to coach the probowl, then as soon as its over, hes fired.

PLEASE.. otherwise we will never win a playoff game with this coaching staff and Smith will be fired next year

On many levels, and considering what he inherited three years ago, what Mike Smith has done is nothing short of remarkable. However, one of his strengths, stubbornness, can also be a weakness unless he understands when the timing is right for change or an upgrade in coaching. If he doesn't, and the upcoming 2011 season is mediocre, then I would agree that he will be under the microscope during the 2012 season.

To his credit he has now created expectations; to his detriment he may not make the tough but wise decisions to meet them!

He's right about sending a guy to spy, thus taking away a rusher.

The most "shocking" thing to me is how we blitzed, but our DB's gave a 5-10 yard cushion during the blitz.

Also, we have a gaping hole in the middle.

That's our defensive system for you... Whenever we send pressure we leave a nice cushion for the WRs so a good QB can complete the slant and the corner some times doesn't have help over the top.

If it makes you feel any better I think was the same gameplan we had for them last game... It's nice to see we made it easier for the Packers the 2nd time around... Outcoached once again.... If this crap continues next season we need changes on the defensive side of the ball. It will have been 4 years and there will be no more excuses.

Why spy Rodgers? Its better for him to get 8 yards a run himself then consistent 20 yard passes for first downs. Falcons defense really messed up big time. I put it on BVG. He is the defensive coordinator who much like MM get scared when they play a good team at what they do. Good teams in the NFL do what they do best. They don't change their ways so they can stop a QB from running. Just do what you do and do it at your best.

Why spy Rodgers? Its better for him to get 8 yards a run himself then consistent 20 yard passes for first downs. Falcons defense really messed up big time. I put it on BVG. He is the defensive coordinator who much like MM get scared when they play a good team at what they do. Good teams in the NFL do what they do best. They don't change their ways so they can stop a QB from running. Just do what you do and do it at your best.

Yeah you can blame BVG but make sure you give Smith some of that blame too.. He has to approve the gameplan so he thought it was a good idea as well to spy Rodgers.

This is a good analysis on what the Bears will do and what the Falcons did that was a mistake. I think the coaching staff has some responsibility for a failed game plan:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/23/unlike-falcons-bears-wont-spy-aaron-rodgers/

Wow is all I can say. This goes back to coaching. Our defense was outschemed and outcoached. This falls on Smitty and BVG. They should have saw it wasn't working and

changed their game plan and they didn't.

Why spy Rodgers? Its better for him to get 8 yards a run himself then consistent 20 yard passes for first downs. Falcons defense really messed up big time. I put it on BVG. He is the defensive coordinator who much like MM get scared when they play a good team at what they do. Good teams in the NFL do what they do best. They don't change their ways so they can stop a QB from running. Just do what you do and do it at your best

Typical Smith apologist. You think BVG creates the game-plan himself?

This directly falls at the feet of the blowhard headcoach, he failed miserably and got exactly what he deserved.

Rodgers is a too good pocket passer, that you can really spy him.

And you can spy Vince Young or Michael Vick, because they are real running threats in the open field. But Rodgers runs only as last option and when the containment of the d-line breaks down. That should have been fixed. Biermann struggles with the Biermann the whole year.

Spying is a joke and everybody should have seen, that this defense was not a playoffcaliber defense. Instead of spying you should have said to the spying player. Look where owens is and jump in front of the receiver.....

spying....

Typical Smith apologist. You think BVG creates the game-plan himself?

This directly falls at the feet of the blowhard headcoach, he failed miserably and got exactly what he deserved.

You do need to put a spy on Rodgers. That wasn't a bad game plan, neither was the scheme that we were in. We just fail to execute. Most of the guys were doing the right thing, and made a few minor mistakes. Aaron Rodgers has been under the same system, and has learn to play against a defense like ours. We had good blitz packages on him, but he eluded the tackles. Is that on the coaches?

One of my greater frustrations with this staff is the inability/unwillingness to make in game adjustments.

We have so much faith that we refuse to change our game plan.... I was all for getting a new OC/DC but it seems like most of the quality ones are gone.

If anyone can think of any quality talent that might fit I'd love to hear names and what they may bring to the team.

You do need to put a spy on Rodgers. That wasn't a bad game plan, neither was the scheme that we were in. We just fail to execute. Most of the guys were doing the right thing, and made a few minor mistakes. Aaron Rodgers has been under the same system, and has learn to play against a defense like ours. We had good blitz packages on him, but he eluded the tackles. Is that on the coaches?

I'm sorry....

Wasn't a bad gameplan?! They never punted the ball.

I'm sorry but when you can NEVER stop the other team that's a bad gameplan. I would agree with you If we would have forced them to punt once or twice but we never did.

Blame goes all around and that was s bad gameplan coupled with horrible execution.

I'm sorry....

Wasn't a bad gameplan?! They never punted the ball.

I'm sorry but when you can NEVER stop the other team that's a bad gameplan. I would agree with you If we would have forced them to punt once or twice but we never did.

Blame goes all around and that was s bad gameplan coupled with horrible execution.

Well, we played to stop the pass, and they still couldn't run the ball. Missed tackles, and poor coverage is not the coach's fault. I'm sorry.

Lets be real about where to spread blame for that loss folks...

#1)Matt Ryan: 2 interceptions on back to back drives before going into the half, both were obviously his fault, and were awful throws

#2)Chris Owens: For fans of this team for longer than a decade, there was a man on this team in the early 2000's named Darrick Vaughn. Darrick was one of the best kick returners in the NFL...and was probably the best Falcon ever to return kicks. He had 4 KR TD's in only 2 seasons.

He was released from the team because he was an awful corner. AWFUL.

After watching Owens last week, Darrick Vaughn looked like an All-Pro at corner in comparison.

I dont think we should release Owens, but instead take a hard look at some better competition for the spot going into next season. The 3rd corner in today's NFL is basically a starter.

#3)BVG. Awful, awful, awful game plan. We didn't adapt to adversity one time...and we had 2 weeks to gameplan up new schemes and twists on our defense. 2 weeks. Awful. He needs to go...I dont care if Chris Owens or Oprah was at nickelback, his gameplan was awful.

This is a good analysis on what the Bears will do and what the Falcons did that was a mistake. I think the coaching staff has some responsibility for a failed game plan:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/23/unlike-falcons-bears-wont-spy-aaron-rodgers/

Uh,................you THINK the coaching staff has some responsibility here ??? How about like ALL the responsibility !!!

That defense scheme couldn't be more vanilla...............soft...............predictable..............boring................un-imaginative.................if you TRIED.

Compared to the Jets or Steelers D the Falcons still have "training wheels" on.

It's like suiting up and asking your Defense to go out and try stopping an excellent offense with one hand tied behind their backs.

Impossible.

Most knowledgable analysts look at the Falcons defensive schemes and laugh.................out loud.

And I thought Smitty was a defensive minded coach with some savy.

Yeah, right.

Lets be real about where to spread blame for that loss folks...

#1)Matt Ryan: 2 interceptions on back to back drives before going into the half, both were obviously his fault, and were awful throws

#2)Chris Owens: For fans of this team for longer than a decade, there was a man on this team in the early 2000's named Darrick Vaughn. Darrick was one of the best kick returners in the NFL...and was probably the best Falcon ever to return kicks. He had 4 KR TD's in only 2 seasons.

He was released from the team because he was an awful corner. AWFUL.

After watching Owens last week, Darrick Vaughn looked like an All-Pro at corner in comparison.

+1 I can agree with this. It was a total team letdown all around.

I dont think we should release Owens, but instead take a hard look at some better competition for the spot going into next season. The 3rd corner in today's NFL is basically a starter.

#3)BVG. Awful, awful, awful game plan. We didn't adapt to adversity one time...and we had 2 weeks to gameplan up new schemes and twists on our defense. 2 weeks. Awful. He needs to go...I dont care if Chris Owens or Oprah was at nickelback, his gameplan was awful.

+1 It was a total team letdown.

Edited by FalconinPA