We need a some beef at the D.T. position

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Kendrick Ellis, DT, Hampton

Height: 6-5. Weight: 340.

Projected 40 Time: 5.41.

Projected Round (2011): 3-5.

5/6/10: Kendrick Ellis dominted Division 1-AA football, notching 15 TFL as a junior.

Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

Height: 6-4. Weight: 355.

Projected 40 Time: 5.50.

5/6/10: Like Terrence Cody, Phil Taylor's weight will need to be monitored. The prospect of adding a 355-pound nose tackle sounds nice until he shows up to training camp at 390.

Anthony Gray, DT, Southern Miss

Height: 6-0. Weight: 314.

Projected 40 Time: 5.22.

Projected Round (2011): 5-7.

5/6/10: A solid nose tackle who earned an All-Conference USA honorable mention, Anthony Gray had 7.5 TFL and two sacks in 2009.

Lawton Scott, DT, Ole Miss

Height: 6-2. Weight: 322.

Projected 40 Time: 5.35.

Projected Round (2011): 6-FA.

5/6/10: Perhaps the funniest random (and probably incorrect) stat you'll ever see: At 6-2, 322 pounds, Lawton Scott maintained a 65.5-yard kickoff-return average. That's right. But as Al Davis' gargoyles will point out to their master, Scott did this on just two kickoff returns.

With Q.B. being able to step up in the pocket to escape pressure I would love to take a later round D.T. with some beef that can help us when the Q.B. steps up in the pocket by creating a little pressure, maybe drawing double teams to free up both D.E. and the other D.T. Use as N.T. if we ever went to a hybrid defense on some packages. We could bring them around slowly. I looked on Walter Football, and these are the best guys in the later rounds that would possibly be groomed to give us that.

None of these guys would break the bank and we could release Trey Lewis. He would take his spot on the roster. Take the best one worth our 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, pick as our project to give us that big body we need sometimes at the D.T. position that we do not have. Who ever they like the best who is around 320 lbs or better. everyone needs that kinda guy, especially when our defense is facing 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1.

Kendrick Ellis, DT, Hampton

Height: 6-5. Weight: 340.

Projected 40 Time: 5.41.

5/6/10: Kendrick Ellis dominted Division 1-AA football, notching 15 TFL as a junior.

Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

Height: 6-4. Weight: 355.

Projected 40 Time: 5.50.

5/6/10: Like Terrence Cody, Phil Taylor's weight will need to be monitored. The prospect of adding a 355-pound nose tackle sounds nice until he shows up to training camp at 390.

Anthony Gray, DT, Southern Miss

Height: 6-0. Weight: 314.

Projected 40 Time: 5.22.

Projected Round (2011): 5-7.

5/6/10: A solid nose tackle who earned an All-Conference USA honorable mention, Anthony Gray had 7.5 TFL and two sacks in 2009.

Lawton Scott, DT, Ole Miss

Height: 6-2. Weight: 322.

Projected 40 Time: 5.35.

Projected Round (2011): 6-FA.

5/6/10: Perhaps the funniest random (and probably incorrect) stat you'll ever see: At 6-2, 322 pounds, Lawton Scott maintained a 65.5-yard kickoff-return average. That's right. But as Al Davis' gargoyles will point out to their master, Scott did this on just two kickoff returns.

With Q.B. being able to step up in the pocket to escape pressure I would love to take a later round D.T. with some beef that can help us when the Q.B. steps up in the pocket by creating a little pressure, maybe drawing double teams to free up both D.E. and the other D.T. Use as N.T. if we ever went to a hybrid defense on some packages. We could bring them around slowly. I looked on Walter Football, and these are the best guys in the later rounds that would possibly be groomed to give us that.

None of these guys would break the bank and we could release Trey Lewis. He would take his spot on the roster. Take the best one worth our 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, pick as our project to give us that big body we need sometimes at the D.T. position that we do not have. Who ever they like the best who is around 320 lbs or better. everyone needs that kinda guy, especially when our defense is facing 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1.

I fully agree. I've been a sth for a while now and it's time to really focus on what were doing. I've been sayin over and over, push up the middle, push up the middle, push up the middle. It starts on the inside out. You get constant pressure up the middle and it helps your ends out. All of our dtackles are around the same size. 6'2 295/300, with the exception of Trey Lewis and I think he's on the way out. Thats why I don't care what anyone says, if Albert Haynesworth would straighten out his act or a guy of his likes, with the tackles we have, they would be unstoppable. Its already on pft.com, that the eagles might try make a move for fat Albert. Another point to focus on would be the secondary. I love Grimes to death, but we need a bigger corner on the outside and move him to the nickle. He gets abused on the outside when up against bigger receivers. Have you heard the sayin "don't take a knife to a gun fight", well last saturday night we did'nt show up with a knife, we had a fly swatter!

How about Marvin Austin? 6'3 310, at one point he was considered a top 10 talent. After the catastrophe of missing all of last season, his stock has taken a large hit and there have been several questions about his character and work ethic. As of right now, I'd throw him in the 3rd-4th round range, but I think he could be a great player in this league, he looked like the best player in the East-West Shrine game today.

BTW, if anybody watched it, I was wondering how people felt about Delone Carter the RB from Syracuse. Dude is 5'8 225lbs. and was dominating today. I really like his running style too.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

How about Marvin Austin? 6'3 310, at one point he was considered a top 10 talent. After the catastrophe of missing all of last season, his stock has taken a large hit and there have been several questions about his character and work ethic. As of right now, I'd throw him in the 3rd-4th round range, but I think he could be a great player in this league, he looked like the best player in the East-West Shrine game today.

BTW, if anybody watched it, I was wondering how people felt about Delone Carter the RB from Syracuse. Dude is 5'8 225lbs. and was dominating today. I really like his running style too.

He is worth a shot, especially if we are getting someone 5th round or lower. Byt we need to beef it up a little, at least have a real big guy for the situations like I stated above. He needs to be able to penetrate the line were QB's don't feel they can just step up in the middle of the line, and be able to eat space, plug the holes. Just we really do not have a guy like that. Most teams do, are at least every team should have at least one huge space eating giant mammouth that can be somewhat effective in the pass rush as well. Some guy the offensive line looks at and say, "oh shizik", if you no what I mean. Kinda like a Terrance Cody player type, but a developmental type of guy at the later end of the draft. A project so to speak. It could not hurt one bit, and the team losing Trey Lewis for someone like that would not hurt us at all.

I suggested drafting or signing a bigger DT last year (like John Henderson) for the sake of versatility...all anyone said was, "THAT'S NOT THE TYPE OF DT'S WE WANT IN THIS SCHEME. WE WANT SMALLER, FASTER, QUICKER DT'S TO PENETRATE THE GAPS."

That's nice and all, but when you're in a 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, or goalline situation, it'd be nice to have a big man up there.

Or hey, even to run a 3-3-5 D on 3rd and longs. Having a big guy to anchor that 3-3-5 and occupy two blockers would be nice.

Oh well.

I suggested drafting or signing a bigger DT last year (like John Henderson) for the sake of versatility...all anyone said was, "THAT'S NOT THE TYPE OF DT'S WE WANT IN THIS SCHEME. WE WANT SMALLER, FASTER, QUICKER DT'S TO PENETRATE THE GAPS."

That's nice and all, but when you're in a 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, or goalline situation, it'd be nice to have a big man up there.

Or hey, even to run a 3-3-5 D on 3rd and longs. Having a big guy to anchor that 3-3-5 and occupy two blockers would be nice.

Oh well.

A pretty good bit of this board wanted John Henderson.

Oh, and one other thing:

By having a versatile set of personnel, you can create the matchups that will benefit your team the most. Say we're playing a team that struggles with big, powerful bull-rushing DT's...we have the option to start that bigger, more powerful DT to see if he can take advantage of said matchup.

I understand you have a system and you want guys that fit that system. But, at the same time, you are going to run into some matchup problems with that system in which you need to make adjustments. By having a different type of player that adds a dimension of versatility to a given group (like the DT group), you can do more things.

The same thing can be applied to our RB situation right now in that we do not have an explosive RB to add into the mix along with Turner/Snelling. It makes us easier to gameplan for because of the limitations we put upon ourselves.

i hate to say it, but we have invested a lot of draft picks in our secondary and defensive line to still get our clock cleaned so much in the passing game.

that said, how patient should we be here?

DL: Biermann has done OK, but Jerry got hurt his first year, Peters seems to have potential. That said, this defense is heavily predicated on collapsing the pocket, and we haven't done it. Peters and Jerry were both taken in the top 3 rounds, and we have Babineaux, who is supposed to be one of our better players. Between these 3 guys, there is rarely an impact play...decent against the run, but SO many times we get some pressure from the edge, only for the QB to step up without any fear whatsoever and either scramble for yardage or complete a pass. Until this starts happening, this defense won't become consistent. Both Peters and Jerry are young, do we give them another year or two and hope one or both pans out, or invest yet another high pick and neglect a different need?

CB: I think we are actually pretty well set here, but I'd like to see Robinson get to play more man-to man/press coverage. Grimes is great in zone, he's good at staying close on routes and making reads and getting a jump on the ball. I kind of like where we are at CB but I have to wonder if BVG can come up with a scheme that will suit them both. Also, our nickel position needs help. Williams was decent but will probably walk and has had some problems staying healthy, like a lot of our players. Owens OBVIOUSLY needs a lot of work if he is going to be able to fill that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see Franks move ahead of him for that spot.

I have said this in other threads, but I think the biggest problem is BVG. he is simply outmatched against smart offensive coordinators. We have a healthy amount of talent, but too many times it seems teams can walk all over our defense in the passing game. With all we have invested in our defense, this shouldn't be happening, even if we do have some young players.

We have Babineaux at DT and nobody will argue he is a productive player. Peters, Jerry(injury) and Walker (practice squad) each have essentially one season's experience and Jerry was coddled this season because they didn't want his knee getting twisted in running play scrums. Collectively, that trio played better on 1st and 2nd down than they did on 3rd down. Spending a high pick on a wide body just muddles the development of the other three.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

So who is the big guy we can get in the draft, etc. with say a 4th round pick or later to eat space and can bring him along?

I'm with ya on this one. The big DTs will keep more than one blocker occupied and give our LBs a chance to blitz. I've been saying this all year...if Smitty wants a Pittsburgh style team then he needs to get bigger on both sides of the DL and OL. We are too small when we play teams with the big OLs and DLs.

we play a penetrating scheme.

we have beef in Trey Lewis (326).....and he didnt even get activated this season.

305 is about the biggest they like to run.

I dont see a big beefy guy unless we find a freak like Ngata who can still move with his size.

And I will stand by this....dont sleep on Jerry. If he can get past a mental block from his injury he is gonna be good. Like Babs good. He was my favorite DT prospect coming out, it is too bad his injuries held him back.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

No, we need help at DE, not DT.

We need help at both positions. We need bigger lineman in general. especially at the DT positions. And we need a L.D.E. a( Julius Peppers clone) who can rush the passer as well as a R.D.E. who can take over for JA55 or backup Sidbury, if they fill Sidbury can eventually feel those shoes.Bigger lineman on goal line, 3rd and 1, 4th and a is what we need on D.T. An (Albert Haynesworth clone(s)) type of guy(s). Just we need to beef it up in my opinion. Maybe since we rotate have smaller faster DT's on certain downs and the beefed up guys and the short yardage situations. B)

Guest atl.falcon4ever

we play a penetrating scheme.

we have beef in Trey Lewis (326).....and he didnt even get activated this season.

305 is about the biggest they like to run.

I dont see a big beefy guy unless we find a freak like Ngata who can still move with his size.

And I will stand by this....dont sleep on Jerry. If he can get past a mental block from his injury he is gonna be good. Like Babs good. He was my favorite DT prospect coming out, it is too bad his injuries held him back.

So you see this guy P. Jerry being as good as N. Suh or B.J. Raji? :huh:

I don't but I hope your right. B)

Maybe P. Jerry needs a good or if he has one (better) sports psychiatrist. :D

So you see this guy P. Jerry being as good as N. Suh or B.J. Raji? :huh:

I don't but I hope your right. B)

Maybe P. Jerry needs a good or if he has one (better) sports psychiatrist. :D

I liked him over Raji when they came out. THats not to say he will be as good. Raji is better than I expected him to be, but he fits great in that 3-4.

Suh, a different draft class all together, so it doesnt matter. I dont expect to see a DT as good as him for a few years.

Like I said, I think he can he at least as good as Babs. Even Warren Sapp loved this guy coming out.

the staff also held him back a lot this season, with minimal snaps, and he still had 2 sacks i think and a turnover play.

We should draft a big DT in the 3rd-5th round of the draft or even maybe sign a free agent one. I like Babs and Peters, but I'm not sure bout Jerry and Walker. We need a Grady Jackson type of a player. Someone that has to be blocked by two or three people. I think that will help our DEs and the rest of the pass rush.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

We should draft a big DT in the 3rd-5th round of the draft or even maybe sign a free agent one. I like Babs and Peters, but I'm not sure bout Jerry and Walker. We need a Grady Jackson type of a player. Someone that has to be blocked by two or three people. I think that will help our DEs and the rest of the pass rush.

I remember the big gravy train :lol:

Is he retired now are a back up what?

Yes a younger, dominanting guy like Grady for certain downs would be great. And yes it would help our pass rush as a whole.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

We really do need size on the D line at tackle, this is why I was so upset with the Jerry pick. Missing on Anderson and Jerry in my opinion can you afford to go back there. You almost have to despite the two that have disappointed.

The verdict is not looking good on P. Jerry, but he still may turn out to be good. So I have not lost hope on him.

JA98 is just a bust and thats all I can say about that.