Our defense just needs a tune up

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Ok it seems to matter what season what year we never have had just a great all round defensive line. We have built or D.T. position with depth and yet to be but proven studs (Peria Jerry). We have enough Pro-Bowlers on offense that if we can keep or even extend one year contracts to who ever is leaving we can sustain this year until next year. Our defense needs to be took care of and sured up this year. In 2008 our defense was horrible. In 2009 it didn't get much better, but some key roll players emerged. In 2010 we proved to have a worthy defense that could shine, but just need the finishing pieces, then you just keep maintenance on the defensive side once you've established it. We need two stud pass generating defensive ends and a great nickel C.B. or make Grimes nickel (either way keep Grimes whether its #2 or nickel), the Falcons have been loyal and believed in him. Brent Grimes will sign for a decent but fair amount as long as we do not disrespect how far he has came. He will always have loyalty to these coaches for giving him a shot and believing in him. Add another O.L.B. to replace Peterson. And if Nichols is retained as the starter, bring in a young but good backup that can eventually challenge for one of the line backers positions every week, a potential but not yet proven young stud. So we need to address L.D.E. as our first priority with a guy who can get to the passer. Second is finding a nickel or #2 receiver considering Grimes needs to stay whether its nickel or #2. So when we decide were we put Grimes and look for the best possible person at the position were Grimes is not playing. Go after that position. Then find a young guy to groom into John Abraham's position R.D.E. Now if that is Sidbury great, but if they do not see him eventually replacing Abraham then they need to address either way another R.D.E. who can pass rush. Because Abraham will be gone soon and we need a R.D.E. who can pass rush and a backup for him. Whether Sidbury become the eventual replacement or we lt him walk a find the guy who we know can step in when John Abraham leaves. We can get 2 of these positions in the draft....at the 1st and 2nd round selections and get one in Free Agency.Are we can get two free agents and get one player in the draft and make him our first round draft pick. All other needs on defense can wait. What is left once you have fixed this problem move to out offense. One of them, the most glaring L.D.E. we go for sure thing which is someone proven in this league to be able to do such and his young were we can lock him up long term (Charles Johnson, Ray Edwards, or Mathias Kiwanuka). A left defensive end who can constantly rush the passer and bring havoc in the back field.

I'd love to bring in Ray Edwards but I'd also like to go after Asomugha. I really like Grimes a lot but I think he'd be more effective if he was moved to the nickel. Beyond that, I'd like to see us draft a legit LT in round 1 where Derrick Sherrod and Joseph Barksdale would be ideal. I'd slide Baker to either RG or RT.

As for WR, I think we could sign someone like Lance Moore and possibly draft a speedster in the mid or late rounds. I still want to see what Meier can do...

I'd love to bring in Ray Edwards but I'd also like to go after Asomugha. I really like Grimes a lot but I think he'd be more effective if he was moved to the nickel. Beyond that, I'd like to see us draft a legit LT in round 1 where Derrick Sherrod and Joseph Barksdale would be ideal. I'd slide Baker to either RG or RT.

As for WR, I think we could sign someone like Lance Moore and possibly draft a speedster in the mid or late rounds. I still want to see what Meier can do...

Charles Johnson will not be allowed to sniff the open market. That leaves Edwards or Kiwanuka. Of the two, I think that Edwards makes the most sense. Kiwanuka's injury history is too much of a risk. Edwards has benefitted by playing opposite Allen, but he would benefit playing opposite Abraham as well. I like his ability to close on the QB as well as anchoring against the run. If we sign a player like Edwards, we might want to trade JA98 to a 3-4 team. They would be getting a good deal for a third round pick (just saying).

Aso is a top two CB and will command a huge salary. I think that we will keep Grimes at his position and find an experienced CB to handle the NB spot. All we need is a reliable, savvy player that can cover the slot. Unfortunately, Owens is not the answer. Williams' injury may keep him off our list. Perhaps Bailey will want to finish his great career in his home State.

Sherrod will not drop to our pick. There are too many teams ahead of us that desperately need a LT. Even Chicago, who picks behind us, could try to trade ahead of us to take Sherrod. However, I like your idea of Barksdale. He is undervalued and could slide to the third round. I don't think that we could expect him to start as a rookie, but he has talent that could pay off in the future.

The Packers often use five receiver sets and I'd like to get to that point. I think that we have the sort of QB that can handle complex route trees. To that end, I'd like to draft two receivers this year: one TE and one WR. There are several developmental TE's like Green and Jordan that can train behind Gonzalez for a season. Both players have the ability to act as big WR's. As far as WR's go, I like Cecil Shorts as a mid round kid from a small school.

It is hard to believe that after 3 years we are exposed at Corner Back or the lack of

depth at the position.

Brian Williams provided solid and experienced depth, but as he went down, we folded

faster than a bad deal in high stakes poker.

At DT we are ok and have ho major issue there.

DE is now becoming a Glaring concern simply because Abe's playing years

are limited.

What this all amounts to is that the 4-3 Defense is the Cadillac of Defenses, but is also

very expensive to maintain. (D Line)

Conversely this is why the 3-4 is the most popular, and there are more quality

tweeners available at a cheaper price.

Spoon-Abe-Lofton-Bierman

Draft a Big and Mean NT, and focus on CB.

Defense is fixed.

It is hard to believe that after 3 years we are exposed at Corner Back or the lack of

depth at the position.

Brian Williams provided solid and experienced depth, but as he went down, we folded

faster than a bad deal in high stakes poker.

At DT we are ok and have ho major issue there.

DE is now becoming a Glaring concern simply because Abe's playing years

are limited.

What this all amounts to is that the 4-3 Defense is the Cadillac of Defenses, but is also

very expensive to maintain. (D Line)

Conversely this is why the 3-4 is the most popular, and there are more quality

tweeners available at a cheaper price.

Spoon-Abe-Lofton-Bierman

Defense is fixed.

for a 3-4 you need 4 good linebacks with the emphasis on the blitzing instead of the DEs. Falcons only have 2 and neither is a blitzer. Falcons have for the past 3 years passed on DEs when they had a chance to draft them. Dunno why but I have a feeling it will be the same this year also. Beerman was a converted lb and sidbury was there only pick at DE and he never plays.

I'd hate to say it but the falcons drafting over the last 3 years has been mediocre, even with the success of loften, and ryan and perhaps spoon.

Since this administration the falcons have found 7 starters COMBINED in 3 years. Now the starters they have I do like but there is a huge drop off with the rest of their picks. Peria Jerry is basically a rookie still since he missed his entire first year and played very little his second year and he will be 27 years old when and if the next season starts and he is not even the starting dt.

Spoon-Abe-Lofton-Bierman

Defense is fixed.

I agree. I think Champ Bailey makes sense. He is savvy and still has the chops to play nickel for a year or so until we can bring someone else along.

But I REALLY wish we had a guy like Wilfork or Raji or even Grady Jackson was who is not only quick, but mean and commands two blockers. We need to keep the bigger bodies off Lofton. He was really wearing down by the end of the year.