Questions on CBA

Farmer2

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but I don't pay attention to this forum until after the season.

I'm not all the well versed on the CBA rules as it relates to the offseason and draft. Assuming the CBA does not get done (personally I think it will) before the draft, is there still a draft? Do we just not sign the rookies until after the CBA is finished? Also, I'm assuming there is no free agency until after a new CBA is done. But, how does that impact signing our existing FAs? If the CBA is redone after the start of free agency, once it is redone does all heII break lose on free agents and any team can sign any FA?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

OK... what i think.

1. There will be a draft.

2. Yes... We dont sign our rookies until the CBA is done.

3. I think we can sign any of our players as of march the 3rd (when the CBA end)

4. I think they will move back Freeagency and that will give teams time to resign players or designate there Franchise Tag to there Franchise Players (if the new CBA have a franchise tag)

I believe I also read that many FAs who would be UFAs would instead be RFAs if no agreement is reached. This is why it looks like so many good players will hit the FA market. I believe it moves to six years of service. If your the Panthers why sign Charles Johnson long term if you can simply tender him for a first and third?

I believe I also read that many FAs who would be UFAs would instead be RFAs if no agreement is reached. This is why it looks like so many good players will hit the FA market. I believe it moves to six years of service. If your the Panthers why sign Charles Johnson long term if you can simply tender him for a first and third?

I thought that was for last year only... Because the CBA ends 1 day before FA

Well, I decided to do some research on what exactly would happen to Free Agency if no new CBA is reached. You're not going to like it.

"Free agency normally starts in early March, but with the potential of a lockout, the free-agency period might not exist."

"Under the old system, a player became an unrestricted free agent after four NFL seasons. But that changed when the owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement two years ago."

"Players must now wait at least six years to become unrestricted free agents, and this affects approximately 212 players from the 2005 and 2006 draft classes. Several of those players are about to become free."

"Players won't be allowed to have contact with team officials. They will be banned from team facilities. Medical benefits will stop for players and their families. And, depending on their contracts, some coaches may not get paid."

I guess we can finally stop the "lets get Charles Johnson treads."

We need to start the, "God, I hope there is a new CBA!" thread.