Why did Arthur Blank make refrence to the QB postion in his interview.

"You judge a quarterback on how he does in the fourth quarter and the postseason,"

I can guarantee you that if Matt has another poor playoff performance next year and goes 0-3 in the postseason, the heat will be turned up.

Thoughts.......

I think we may be reading too much into it - what I think Mr. Blank is saying is:

"Don't worry - we're focused on getting better every year... at EVERY position"

Probably more of a message to the fans than the players =D

Edited by RoamingFalcon

"You judge a quarterback on how he does in the fourth quarter and the postseason,"

I can guarantee you that if Matt has another poor playoff performance next year and goes 0-3 in the postseason, the heat will be turned up.

Thoughts.......

He might have generally reffered to that position. And as always, it makes sense as business man to make sure we have winning post season for those stadium talks and what not.

Thoughts.......

I didn't hear or read his entire speech, but judging by what you posted he is more than trying to say something. Sure, some will say that it means nothing but maybe he is seeing what alot of other people refuse to see. Mr. Blank seems to be committed to achieving what we all want and that is a Lombardi trophy and a winning franchise. It is good to know that everyone will be held accountable, even our star QB if neccessary.

Edited by FalconinPA

Matt Ryan is still a young QB and in my opinion, he's growing stronger every year. 3 winning seasons in a row says something and I believe that we will continue to succeed and get better as the seasons come and go. It took Peyton Manning like 9 or 10 seasons before he actually won the Lombardi. I say don't throw Matt under the bus yet! Let him develop and prove that he is the face and future of our franchise!

Matt Ryan is the last, and one of few players on this team who has nothing to worry about with his job security.

You would like to think so, but the comment doesn't sound like it to me. I think next season has a lot of bearing on if your statement is true of not. I like the fact that Arthur seems to be giving no one a pass.

One can easily speculate that Arthur Blank was expressing concern and some frustration that our great regular season performance was offset by a disaster in the playoffs (again). It very well could be that his message was intended to put a little extra pressure on Matt Ryan to motivate him to elevate his performance and dedicate himself to lead the team to post season success starting with next season.

Fair or not, Arthur Blank is correct:, a quarterback is judged by his record in the 4th quarter and in the playoffs. Other players contribute to the success and/or failure of the team in any game, but the primary responsibility rests upon the shoulders of the QB. Matt Ryan had some terrific 4th quarter performances in his short career, but he's also been a flop in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge Matt Ryan and Falcons fan, but Matt's playoff performances speak for themselves:

We all watched the Packers game where Ryan threw two interceptions, including one in the end zone that killed a potential TD drive, and one that was returned 70 yards for a Packers touchdown. He also lost a fumble and finished the game with 186 yards.

We all watched the Cardinals playoff game in 2008, when Ryan had three turnovers, including a fumble returned for a touchdown, and was sacked for a safety in Atlanta's 30-24 wild-card playoff loss at Arizona.

I'm not going to make any excuses or try and sugar-coat anything: our playoff losses were what they were--a bitter disappointment. FWIW, I hope that sting and foul taste of the playoff loss remains with the players, TD, and the Falcons coaching staff for awhile so that they are motivated to do everything within their power to make the needed improvements and avoid another playoff disappointment. Based upon the progress we've seen in the Falcons since TD, Smitty and Matt Ryan have been here, there is every reason the believe that the team will improve and that Matt will lead the Falcons to playoff wins in the near future.

Matt Ryan is the last, and one of few players on this team who has nothing to worry about with his job security.

I agree. If anything, Arthur wants Matt to be more mentally strong for the playoffs. He's not stupid to think that things will get better by meddling and replacing the one Pro Bowl-caliber QB that has 1.) helped you out of the media terror that was Michael Vick, 2.) has finally given you three winning seasons in a row and 3.) has gotten you in positions to even BE in the playoffs.

Yeah, regardless of how others are trying to read into what Blank said, Ryan's job is definitely safe.

BRING VICK HOME ARTHUR!

Idiocy runs rampant in the offseason at times. And as far as the comments from Blank, I think he wants a winner, and is still committed to his original intent in Atlanta, which is to bring a Lombardi to the organization. If that means the heat has to be turned up on our QB, then so be it, but by that same token, it needs to apply to the coordinators putting the plan in place for the players, as well as the head coach and other players as well. We want a winner, we have to approach it as winners.

Idiocy runs rampant in the offseason at times. And as far as the comments from Blank, I think he wants a winner, and is still committed to his original intent in Atlanta, which is to bring a Lombardi to the organization. If that means the heat has to be turned up on our QB, then so be it, but by that same token, it needs to apply to the coordinators putting the plan in place for the players, as well as the head coach and other players as well. We want a winner, we have to approach it as winners.

Octo's only kidding, man. :D

Thoughts.......

I think you took a quote, threw out first half that didn't suit your agenda and tried to create an inflamatory thread. Ryan has been great in the 4th Qtr. now it's about winning in the postseason. To go from 4-12 with little hope in sight in 2007 to 13-4 along with 3 winning seasons in a row is a huge step forward, now it's time to take that next huge step.

There isn't any possible way for Blank to "turn up the heat" on Matt Ryan.

What's he gonna do? Trade him? Release him?

Do you think a guy that has won 33 games in his first 3 seasons could find another job? I'd imagine there would be a team or two that would be glad to make him their starter.

This whole notion is silly.

There isn't any possible way for Blank to "turn up the heat" on Matt Ryan.

What's he gonna do? Trade him? Release him?

Do you think a guy that has won 33 games in his first 3 seasons could find another job? I'd imagine there would be a team or two that would be glad to make him their starter.

This whole notion is silly.

It's a loser mentality to think there's anything truly wrong with the direction the Falcons are headed in. Losers give up after the first sign of trouble, a winner realizes there's going to be setbacks and keeps their head up looking for the next challenge.

Matt Ryan is still a young QB and in my opinion, he's growing stronger every year. 3 winning seasons in a row says something and I believe that we will continue to succeed and get better as the seasons come and go. It took Peyton Manning like 9 or 10 seasons before he actually won the Lombardi. I say don't throw Matt under the bus yet! Let him develop and prove that he is the face and future of our franchise!

An article after our loss referenced this, took manning 6 years.. we are freaking out after 3. And I honestly see Peyton Manning as the closest comparison for Matt Ryan in terms of intelligence, poise, and work ethic. he** manning sucked his rookie year too.

Edited by RI Falcon

Obviously Mr. Blank wants his franchise to win. He has put a lot into rebuilding our team, and he doesn't want fans to begin showing up for games as empty seats.

It isn't going to happen overnight, and he knows that, but I think everyone from our coaching staff, to the FO, down to the players feels like we should be an elite team. We are close, so obviously that is going to just add to the pressure.

My thoughts are that I am sure Matt Ryan wants to succeed in the post season as badly as Arthur Blank wants to succeed in the post season. Probably more.

And lest not forget Blank said he will not rest until he brings the Lombardi back to the Branch. So the target is high.

Ryan has been incredible to this point. He has to take it to another level. His personal goal next year should be win the division, get a bye and don't make the mistakes he made in his first two playoff games.

If he doesn't have an Oline it will be tough though.