"Matty Ice" - Time to Retire the Nickname

SaintRay

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

Old.

Media should have never given him that nickname.

Don't blame the media! You fans jumped all over that nickname despite it being so extremely gay.:rolleyes:

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

I like Mattie Melt....

I believe Nervous Nellie is more apropos, all things considered.:lol:

Or perhaps.......NERVOUS MATTIE MELT.

Yeah, nicknames definitely "add insult to injury." So, since everyone calls him ostrich boy should we stroll him Disney Safari one day and hope the ostritchs attack everyone in the truck?

The irony of ironies.

See.. the difference being, those nicknames are based on his appearance. Or "pickles" which is based on his name being similar to that of the famous pickle company.

Matty "ICE" is based on his playing ability. "Ice in his veins" Which means he doesn't fold under pressure, in big games, he is calm as a cucumber and is able to put his team on his shoulders and win. Which, doesn't fit him anymore. Idc what he did in college. He is not clutch, at all, in the playoffs. It's a little demeaning that people still refer to him as "matty ice". If anything, put it on the back burner, wait until he wins a postseason game and then bring it back in full force. Then, even if by some bad fortune he loses a lot of playoff games after that first win, at least he'll have that one postseason victory to fall back on. I think it's a fair assessment.

I've always liked to call him Matt Ryan myself. The last quarterback we had that had a nickname didn't work out so well. I don't think his abilities are in question because of the GB game. Dude didn't have his best game, but I don't think you could say he lost the game. I guess I just don't like nicknames. Bart was Bart, why can't Ryan be Ryan, or Matt?

If my given name were Peter King, I would not throw stones though...LOL.

I've always liked to call him Matt Ryan myself. The last quarterback we had that had a nickname didn't work out so well. I don't think his abilities are in question because of the GB game. Dude didn't have his best game, but I don't think you could say he lost the game. I guess I just don't like nicknames. Bart was Bart, why can't Ryan be Ryan, or Matt?

If my given name were Peter King, I would not throw stones though...LOL.

Good post. Nothing wrong with calling him by his actual name. Most Qbs don't have a nickname.

See.. the difference being, those nicknames are based on his appearance. Or "pickles" which is based on his name being similar to that of the famous pickle company.

Matty "ICE" is based on his playing ability. "Ice in his veins" Which means he doesn't fold under pressure, in big games, he is calm as a cucumber and is able to put his team on his shoulders and win. Which, doesn't fit him anymore. Idc what he did in college. He is not clutch, at all, in the playoffs. It's a little demeaning that people still refer to him as "matty ice". If anything, put it on the back burner, wait until he wins a postseason game and then bring it back in full force. Then, even if by some bad fortune he loses a lot of playoff games after that first win, at least he'll have that one postseason victory to fall back on. I think it's a fair assessment.

I agree! Let's just call him clausen 2!!