CBS lists 5 potential QB coach options

Ergo Proxy

From RapidReports:

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 5: Mike Shula. Shula, the QBs coach in Jacksonville, coached on the same staff with Mike Smith in 2007, when Smith was the Jags’ defensive coordinator.

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 4: Ken Zampese. Zampese may not have direct ties to Atlanta, but he coaches under Falcons coach Mike Smith’s mentor Marvin Lewis at Cincinnati. Zampese, who has tutored QB Carson Palmer, has been the Bengals QBs coach since 2003.

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 3: Jeremy Bates. While there are no Atlanta ties, Bates, the fired former Seattle offensive coordinator, has coached QBs for the Broncos and the Jets. He was also USC’s QBs coach in 2009 under Pete Carroll.

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 2: Tom Clements. It would seem strange for Clements, Green Bay’s QBs coach, to make a lateral move. But Clements was the offensive coordinator under Falcons OC Mike Mularkey in Buffalo, when Mularkey was the head coach in 2004-2005.

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 1: Jeff Jagodzinski. Jagodzinski was QB Matt Ryan’s had coach at Boston College in Ryan’s last season and was an OL coach with Atlanta in 2004-2005. Jagodzinski spent this past season as the UFL’s Omaha Nighthawks’ head coach.

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 4: Ken Zampese. Zampese may not have direct ties to Atlanta, but he coaches under Falcons coach Mike Smith’s mentor Marvin Lewis at Cincinnati. Zampese, who has tutored QB Carson Palmer, has been the Bengals QBs coach since 2003.

Big no thanks there. Palmer has been atrocious for a few seasons now. :wacko:

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 2: Tom Clements. It would seem strange for Clements, Green Bay’s QBs coach, to make a lateral move. But Clements was the offensive coordinator under Falcons OC Mike Mularkey in Buffalo, when Mularkey was the head coach in 2004-2005.

I thought the NFL had a rule about no lateral hires. I thought you had to be fired, etc.

I'd love to have that guy though.

I thought the NFL had a rule about no lateral hires. I thought you had to be fired, etc.

I'd love to have that guy though.

You can't interview for a lateral move without the permission of the team you currently work for. We let Musgrave interview for the job he's got now even though technically its a step down from his assistant HC title.

From RapidReports:

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 1: Jeff Jagodzinski. Jagodzinski was QB Matt Ryan’s had coach at Boston College in Ryan’s last season and was an OL coach with Atlanta in 2004-2005. Jagodzinski spent this past season as the UFL’s Omaha Nighthawks’ head coach.

Those are some interesting names, but this one...well, it makes sense in the ties. But wasn't he our OL coach when Reeves was here? Or maybe Tight Ends? I know he was here before he was at BC. I just don't quite get how he'd be a QB coach.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Those are some interesting names, but this one...well, it makes sense in the ties. But wasn't he our OL coach when Reeves was here? Or maybe Tight Ends? I know he was here before he was at BC. I just don't quite get how he'd be a QB coach.

I no Matt Ryan will do what ever to make himself successful. I think Matt Ryans opinion as well as the interview will determine if Jeff Jagodzinski is the right man. But if he is smart enough to know the offensive line and the quarter back position he could bring some interesting ideas to the other coaches and help Matt Ryan further more develop. Matt Ryans opinion, honestly man to man to the Falcons front office will have an impact on who ever they bring in, I think.

Were is Dan Reeves, can we get him back and find away to work him into our staff. I always liked him. Couldn't believe it and was mad when they fired him. Don't get me wrong I loved Jim Mora, just not as a head coach. In my opinion if we could get Dan Reeves just as assistant head coach to help Mike Smith out. If he came out of retirement, or somehow get him involved with our organization it would only make us better. Dan Reeves is and will always be one he11 of a coach and an awesome all round guy. I have nothing but respect for him.

And slimjim, not trying to be negative but I atched the video. What the he11 is it for and how does it pertain to anything football, etc. Just curious. :lol:

he has NO QB coaching experience. IMO, he isnt a candidate, just someone media throws out because of Matt Ryan.

From RapidReports:

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 5: Mike Shula. Shula, the QBs coach in Jacksonville, coached on the same staff with Mike Smith in 2007, when Smith was the Jags’ defensive coordinator.

Potential QBs coach candidate No. 3: Jeremy Bates. While there are no Atlanta ties, Bates, the fired former Seattle offensive coordinator, has coached QBs for the Broncos and the Jets. He was also USC’s QBs coach in 2009 under Pete Carroll.

I like Clements or Zampese. If Clements can do for Ryan what he did for Rogers, we could be set for years. Also Zampese is a name I remember back to the Chargers light it up days. If I'm right, Zampese use to be an OC for the Chargers, I think.

Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon

Probably so. But I'm not sure how that idiotic, fake "Assistant Head Coach" title plays into the equation.

Then again, nothing stopping the Packers from naming him AHC and then blocking his interview.

They don't have to let him interview, even if it's a promotion. It's just customary in the NFL for teams to do so, not required.

Last year, the Bears wanted to interview him for OC, and the Packers said NO!

Makes for an interesting subplot for this weekend's game.